Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
NOOK HD replacement charger in UK ?

I have just bought a NOOK HD and I am desperate for a spare charger as I want it for travel and hate the idea of having only one charging cable. I can't seem to find anyone who actually has them in stock, even NOOKUK has no idea when they will get them.

Can anyone help, tbh I'm thinking of returning it over this issue.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW I have ordered one from Barnwells, who claim to have them in stock, but its not shipping and they won't answer my email, or phone regarding the situation so not convinced its actually in Stock.
Advert
Old 06-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Try Nook accessories section

Nook
http://uk.nook.com/accessories/unive.../9780594515364

I lost my charger for a week and spend ages trying to find a spare cable on ebay or Amazon - but all I kept finding was chargers for the reader.

I went in to John Lewis - where I bought my Nook HD - but they don't carry spare chargers to buy ( apparently similar situation for the Samsung tablet).

Blackwells sell them (on line) but you have to pay postage (didn't look at what the Nooksite said).

I eventually found mine - where I'd left it of course - and when charged my Nook welcomed me back, Grrrr!

Hope that helps
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

NookUK is out of stock, and can't give an estimate on when they will have stock. None of the retail shops sell the chargers either in store, or online.

Blackwells have now answered the phone and the lady said they DO have them in stock and she doesn't know why it's not shipping, but it should today or tomorrow, so I'll see what happens.

Very and Littlewoods don't state online what their stock level is but their postage is £3.95. I got free postage with Barnwells as I bought the screen protector as well.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Nook HD will charge using a generic charger or via a generic USB cable connected to a PC, but it charges slowly. It might take all night. Just a thought.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The Nook HD will charge using a generic charger or via a generic USB cable connected to a PC, but it charges slowly. It might take all night. Just a thought.
Hi Rizla, How can I connect a generic USB lead to the Nook HD? The Nook connector is a proprietary 30 pin connector
Old 06-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Yeah, I thought that after. What I meant was you can use a generic 30-pin USB cable to charge via PC. AFAIK the Nook 30-pin connector is non-standard, even for 30-pin connecters! But it will charge with a non-Nook 30 pin plug. Other devices do use them, Samsung for example. The Nook 30-pin includes extra bits to make it charge faster. But the others work. It might not say its charging, but it is, albeit slowly. Same goes for wall chargers. Maybe you can get an adaptor to plug a a 30-pin cable into a standard usb charger, though that's speculation. I suggest you google the subject.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

My replacement charger from Blackwells has arrived today so I now have two chargers.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I charge my Nook HD via my PC's USB port using the same proprietary cable that came with the device. It has a standard USB connection on the other end. No need to use any other cable.

Charging by the USB port is slow (about 1/3-1/4 slower than the charger that comes with the device) but it works! The USB port is good for topping off your device, but if the capacity is very very low, it's best to use the supplied charger as its much faster.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I charge my Nook HD via my PC's USB port using the same proprietary cable that came with the device. It has a standard USB connection on the other end. No need to use any other cable.

Charging by the USB port is slow (about 1/3-1/4 slower than the charger that comes with the device) but it works! The USB port is good for topping off your device, but if the capacity is very very low, it's best to use the supplied charger as its much faster.

--Pat
I'm all sorted now thanks. I just needed a second charging cable.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'm all sorted now thanks. I just needed a second charging cable.
Glad to hear that you've sorted it. Just wanted to say you could try amazon/ eBay for spares in future. I bought a couple of spare charging cables for my samsung galaxy tab from amazon and they work as well as the original.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
I tried Ebay and Amazon when I temporarily mislaid my charger and I couldn't find any. All my searches came up with the nook touch charger not the tablet charger. This is the only thing I find annoying about this piece of kit - i'm going to have to spend £15 for a spare cable. Otherwise it is lovely to use
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
I tried Ebay and Amazon when I temporarily mislaid my charger and I couldn't find any. All my searches came up with the nook touch charger not the tablet charger. This is the only thing I find annoying about this piece of kit - i'm going to have to spend £15 for a spare cable. Otherwise it is lovely to use
As far as I know there are no generic chargers anywhere. I went out and bought a second charger for £15 as I was so concerned about the lack of any replacements.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Right now the power kit -- charger plus cable -- is on sale for $15. Not sure if the sale extends outside of the U.S.

I was in the local B&N yesterday and picked up the kit as I wanted an extra cable as a backup.

$15 is also the price for the cable only, which is not on sale at this time. So $15 for the full kit is a good price.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

The power kits are £15 in the UK and difficult to get hold of as most high street retailers only sell the devices, not the power kits, and the online NookUK store is out of stock. We don't have any Barnes and Noble stores over here.