Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
distorteddisco
Enthusiast
distorteddisco began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Yes, this is indeed a problem. It wouldn't connect to my WPA2-Personal or my friend's WPA-Personal router... or the public access network at my university, which uses the Cisco Web Authentication scheme. Granted it's already kind of a sketchy system... WPA2 Enterprise would be nice, considering it's in use at so many universities.
distorteddisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
A number of us have had problems setting up WiFi networks when the reader scans and identifies them. I believe most (including me ) were able to manually add WPA networking (but not the enterprise version).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #18
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Hey guys, we currently don't support WPA Enterprise. We're actively looking into the other wireless connectivity issues that you're having, so sit tight.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
SimplyTheDoctor
SimplyTheDoctor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi/Kobo touch
Thanks for your continuing efforts!

To make sure this is not forgotten: I am not sure if this is also a WPA Enterprise issue, but my WPA2 secure connection (at work) requires a USERNAME as well as a password, and there is no way to enter that on the connection dialog in Settings. For academics, eduroam accounts are set up in this way, and this is quite handy, as it provides access while visiting other universities. Please, make sure it is on your list of desired features!

Cheers.
SimplyTheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #20
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
hmmm... so I am now having issues logging into WIFI on my touch. When I first got the wifi I was able to log in after a few tries. I have had it on airplane mode since. Last night I wanted to use the WIFI so I turned off airplane mode, and it asked for my password again. I entered it (a few times) correctly and it kept saying incorrect login. I tried shutting down and starting up again, no luck, I tried manually entering the network name no luck. So I powered down and left it until today, but again no luck. I am not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #21
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Try manually setting up the connection, rather than going the scan and then set up process. The Kobo crew is working hard to get this straightened out.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #22
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Taming, I had tried that. I figured out the solution though Try EVERYTHING over and over and when it doesn't work, go post on Mobile Read. Then try ONCE more and it works . It seems the missing step is to vent here first.

S

PS: LOVE LOVE LOVE my touch.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #23
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Actually, the Kindle 3 can be password locked. I've never enabled that because I'm the only one (other than my husband) who has access. I trust the cute guy.

As for wifi issues, I have not had them with the Kobos but I did have an initial problem with the Kindle 3. I tried the password, I knew I was typing it correctly ... but no go. The solution above -- creating a manual connection -- fixed this and I've never had trouble since. Weird, but reasonably easy to solve.

And, yes, N is better but it's also backwards compatible with G and B (does anyone have a B?).
Are you sure? I hear cute people are the ones to watch out for!!!!:P
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #24
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
hmmm... so I am now having issues logging into WIFI on my touch. When I first got the wifi I was able to log in after a few tries. I have had it on airplane mode since. Last night I wanted to use the WIFI so I turned off airplane mode, and it asked for my password again. I entered it (a few times) correctly and it kept saying incorrect login. I tried shutting down and starting up again, no luck, I tried manually entering the network name no luck. So I powered down and left it until today, but again no luck. I am not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

S
I was having the same issues, but only when the system restored the firmware back to 1.9 now they have redeployed 1.9.2 just going to check that out and see. But i want to set it and forget it sort of thing.. BTW dont forget to open the "about kobo touch" on your ereader so you can go to page four last line... and notice the small name touch the small name and play soduko:P its in the special thanks section the name is Richard Penner

good luck

Last edited by jackastor; 06-18-2011 at 10:37 AM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #25
Mostly Math
Groupie

grrrr.... it looks like I typed too soon its not working again. Oh well, I will wait for the next firmware update and try then. Not a huge problem because I wasn't planning on using the WIFI much anyway.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #26
kklee
kklee is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
I just picked up a Touch today and like others, no problem with the initial setup, but WiFi is a problem. It keeps telling me my login is wrong (I know it's right, I have been using the same strong password for years). I have two different N routers, the Touch gives me the same error with both. I tried manually entering the network config, still no go.

I bought the Kobo Touch to replace a Sony PRS600 because I wanted the WiFi. I hope the WiFi issue gets fixed soon!
kklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried manually setting it up; ie entering the SSID and pasword as opposed to having it scan for SSID.

Also, what firmware level are you on? Version 1.9.4 is now available (and should get pushed via the Desktop).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #28
kklee

Yep, tried manual setup against both routers.

When I ran the setup an hour ago, it upgraded the firmware to 1.9.2. I'll see if I can get it to update to 1.9.4.

Update:
Don't know why it didn't update to 1.9.4 the first time, but it updated when I sync'ed again. However, still no joy connecting to either of my N routers (two different models from two different manufacturers). It still comes back with an Incorrect login message.

Just for laughs, I tried tethering it to my iphone and it worked!? Something funny going on here.

Last edited by kklee; 06-18-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well I think the 1.9.4 is a very VERY recent release

Now... how is security set on you routers? WEP ? WPA? WPA2? What type of encyption on the shared key? How long is the key?

Any MAC level filtering?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #30
kklee

No MAC filtering.

I've just spent the last 15 minutes trying different encryption modes (WEP, WPA, WPA2), encryption types (TKIP and AES), and passphrase lengths (even tried using password). All result in the same error message.

I'm about to try setting one router to no encryption at all as a test.

Update: Disabled security on the router and still get the Incorrect login error!!!! Now that is messed up!

Last edited by kklee; 06-18-2011 at 06:54 PM.