Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
jayhjay
jayhjay began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Help with a bad PDF?

I bought a PDF ebook and the formatting is really bad. The lines break at the last letter of a word, and lines are interspersed within one another. It is some sort of formatting issue b/c it looks fine in ADE or when I make the font microscopically small.

Someone suggested converted it from a PDF to an epub in Calibre but it won't work b/c it is DRM. Does anyone have an strategies for getting this document legible? I would really love to read it on my nook rather than my computer.

Thanks!
jayhjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Buying a pdf ebook is never a great idea. If you want to try to fix it you're going to need to strip the DRM. That's possible, but you'll need to Google the appropriate info, 'Adept DRM' should put you on the right track - there are different scripts for pdf vs. epub, you need the pdf variant.

In terms of converting it, see here for what you're up against:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...-pdf-documents

In other words it's likely that it still won't be pretty, but you will then have the ability to fix it yourself at least.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
jayhjay
jayhjay began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Yeah, I have been hearing that PDF is a bad way to go. It was the only format this store offered and so I bought it. In the past I haven't had problems with PDFs so I didn't think twice. I may have to bite the bullet and just rebuy it somewhere. I am not super techy so I can probably manage to strip the DRM but not sure if I can handle the challenges of formatting.
jayhjay is offline   Reply With Quote