Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Preferred Format when buying from a non-Amazon site?
HTML 3 4.62%
PDF 4 6.15%
Mobi/PRC 42 64.62%
LIT 11 16.92%
Other 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
What is your preferred format when buying from non-Amazon sites?

Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, publisher sites, etc.

Do you prefer html, pdf, mobi/prc, or lit? and Why?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
etitameh
Enthusiast
etitameh doesn't litteretitameh doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
mobi/prc, no conversion required :P

Last edited by etitameh; 09-14-2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: clarity
etitameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, publisher sites, etc.

Do you prefer html, pdf, mobi/prc, or lit? and Why?
Would it be possible to edit the poll to allow multiple selections? I do prefer MS Reader but will also purchase Mobipocket if there is no MS Reader or the Mobipocket is cheaper.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It depends. If it's a title I feel I will want to read again sometime in the future (there aren't that many), I would buy it in LIT which according to what I've read here is "future proof". I have purchased one LIT title. For the most part I would buy mobi/prc. The less I have to deal with converting, the happier I am.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Ideally, HTML would be the best; that way I could convert it to whatever format I really needed and experience the benefits of that format on my device of choice.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I will only buy DRM-free books. My first choice is MobiPocket because I can read it as-is on my Kindle. I'll buy LIT since it is so easy to convert to BBeB for the Sony. Since I own both devices, I don't have to convert MobiPocket to anything else (other than just for practice).
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would it be possible to edit the poll to allow multiple selections? I do prefer MS Reader but will also purchase Mobipocket if there is no MS Reader or the Mobipocket is cheaper.
Sorry. I looked at that setting when doing the poll and almost checked it but didn't. I've looked, but not seeing a way to edit poll. If someone knows how, let me know!
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I buy mobipocket, since I can cut it 'free' of its DRM in order to be able to read it on my PRS 500. If a book however is available as a multiformat, I'll try and download it - if possible - as both LRF (Sony) and epub for backup, since the latter's a non-proprietary standard format and thereby may stand a chance of surviving the ages. If I'm forced to make a choice from those two latter formats, I'll pick epub, since Sony's LRF format is deeply proprietary.

I don't buy DRM-ed epub books at all, because - as yet - there's simply no way I can convert them through Calibre.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
All my books are Mobi/PRC
I never have a problem getting the books I want in Mobi/PRC

Slan
Mag
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I rarely buy any books other than from Amazon. However, most of my books were free, from sites like this one, and in the Mobi/PRC format.

I don't feel like converting to other formats. Just give me a format I can read directly.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
For books with DRM, I prefer eReader. Otherwise, if HTML is offered, it's my first choice if I can only have one, since I can convert it to whatever I need. If it's like Fictionwise with its multiformat choices, I download whatever format I want to read on (I have multiple readers).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
For DRM, LIT then MOBI. Books with no DRM, MOBI/PRC.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I voted .lit because they are easy to convert to DRM free Mobi. But if the book comes in regular old mobi, I'll get it that way, first.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I rarely buy any books other than from Amazon. However, most of my books were free, from sites like this one, and in the Mobi/PRC format.

I don't feel like converting to other formats. Just give me a format I can read directly.
Same here, lots of resources out there
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #15
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mobi/PRC, but PDF is still not bad...
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!