Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #31
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I've never written fiction, but I am an attorney and write a good deal in the course of my work. Whenever I have to take work home, I tend to have a tumbler of Johnny Walker to hand. I formed the habit when I was in law school. When I had a brief or a large paper to write, I would allow myself one good, stiff drink before I started writing. I don't know that it made me more creative. It did, however, allow me to relax enough of the law student tension to be able to calmly focus on the task at hand.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #32
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBooksgp View Post
I may try that tonight....
I should have said "don't try this at home..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Do you remember what you wrote? LOL
That's what the editing phase is for. And think how fresh and new it will seem to me when I do get to reread it .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #33
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
I detest writing but I keep getting bothered by ideas I feel compelled to put on a screen. I have a patchy history with alcohol - mainly my memory is patchy - but I thought I'd experiment.

First I bought a 3 litre box of wine. The good stuff, Hardys cab-sauv - I'm not an animal. I put the radio on to help with the mood, and to drown out the sound of the noisy little blighters making their way to school outside. Then I fired up Libreoffice and was left staring at that all too familiar bleak snowfield where the words should go.

I was on my third tumbler by now - Libreoffice can take what seems like an eternity to boot up - and quite peckish so I made myself a snack and brought it back to the computer. You can't beat a delicious salty snack for helping the writing process.

After Googling peanuts and peanut allergies for a while and a bit more liquid inspiration I re-focussed myself on the work at hand - handy tip here: if in doubt focus on the MIDDLE work at hand. I'd finally made a start on what I was writing, though this was more as a result of hitting keys while levering snack fragments out of the keyboard - a laborious process considerably quickened by turning the keyboard upside down, though this disturbed my equilibrium and I fell out of my chair. Again.

I'd never felt so inspired, I went and got more snacks. I'd stashed my tumbler somewhere safe by now and was drinking straight from the winebox, which is the sort of thing a pirate would do. That led to me Googling Rihanna. It always comes back to Rihanna.

After I climbed out of the rose bushes, I got my bearings and flagged down a taxi. Obviously the language barrier made communication difficult but a kind lady at the airport held my hand through the booking procedure.

All in all, I still detest writing, but alcohol can make the process pass much quicker.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Well I experimented last night. Two glasses of red wine whilst I was writing....
Quote:
I may try that tonight....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
...I thought I'd experiment...I bought a 3 litre box of wine....
I'm going straight to hell for starting this thread; no doubt in my mind whatsoever.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #35
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It tends to be a more stream-of-consciousness type of writing, depending of course upon how much is consumed, but...

Sometimes it can definitely work. Like, maybe if you have the entire scene figured out and just need to get the words on paper, it can speed things up (though you might find some interesting quirks when you edit).

On the other hand, if you need to figure out plot points or really dig into specific story details, it becomes a bit harder when you're magpie-ing out to anything shiny in the room or on the internet O_o

Well, that's just me, anyway.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #36
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm going straight to hell for starting this thread; no doubt in my mind whatsoever.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #37
eBooksgp
Connoisseur
eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
haha I'll meet you there......
eBooksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
haha I'll meet you there......
We'll share a drink. Hopefully a cool one!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #39
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
I thought I would chime in.

from Voltaire's Lyrics:

"...I'm goin to Hell, in a handbasket.
Well at least I'll have a view.
Oh I will see the fire, through the rusty razor wire.
Oh don't you worry, I saved a seat for You..."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:43 AM   #40
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
We'll share a drink. Hopefully a cool one!
Nope it will probably be a hot one. No ice remember.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #41
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
I detest writing but I keep getting bothered by ideas I feel compelled to put on a screen. I have a patchy history with alcohol - mainly my memory is patchy - but I thought I'd experiment.

First I bought a 3 litre box of wine. The good stuff, Hardys cab-sauv - I'm not an animal. I put the radio on to help with the mood, and to drown out the sound of the noisy little blighters making their way to school outside. Then I fired up Libreoffice and was left staring at that all too familiar bleak snowfield where the words should go.

I was on my third tumbler by now - Libreoffice can take what seems like an eternity to boot up - and quite peckish so I made myself a snack and brought it back to the computer. You can't beat a delicious salty snack for helping the writing process.

After Googling peanuts and peanut allergies for a while and a bit more liquid inspiration I re-focussed myself on the work at hand - handy tip here: if in doubt focus on the MIDDLE work at hand. I'd finally made a start on what I was writing, though this was more as a result of hitting keys while levering snack fragments out of the keyboard - a laborious process considerably quickened by turning the keyboard upside down, though this disturbed my equilibrium and I fell out of my chair. Again.

I'd never felt so inspired, I went and got more snacks. I'd stashed my tumbler somewhere safe by now and was drinking straight from the winebox, which is the sort of thing a pirate would do. That led to me Googling Rihanna. It always comes back to Rihanna.

After I climbed out of the rose bushes, I got my bearings and flagged down a taxi. Obviously the language barrier made communication difficult but a kind lady at the airport held my hand through the booking procedure.

All in all, I still detest writing, but alcohol can make the process pass much quicker.
Sounds like there's a story to tell right there.lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #42
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I revise better with one glass of wine, write more with two. Get a bit more than weird after three and four or more I totally lose interest

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #43
eBooksgp
Connoisseur
eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Nope it will probably be a hot one. No ice remember.
I'll bring a fridge, I'm sure I'll find somewhere to plug it in....
eBooksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #44
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Well who wants to go to heaven anyway? There's nobody up there!
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #45
MCoorlim
MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: all
Booze drowns out my inner self-critical editor. I don't often write drunk, but when I do I'm less risk-averse.

I'd never self-edit while intoxicated, though. "Write drunk/edit sober."
MCoorlim is offline   Reply With Quote