Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
B&N scores!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/13/i...pack-people-l/
I guess people like to have a colour option with touch screen. Onslaught of the latest tablets may have something to do with this perception. Will this have an impact on Amazon's tablet plans?

din

Fixed link- moderator

Last edited by dreams; 07-14-2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Fixed link- moderator
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
One http// too many...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
http://http://www.engadget.com/2011/...pack-people-l/
I guess people like to have a colour option with touch screen. Onslaught of the latest tablets may have something to do with this perception. Will this have an impact on Amazon's tablet plans?

din
***I*** bought a Nook Color for the cheap tablet function (after rooting). The price was too good to really pass up to get a combination of most of the tablet features I want AND a good e-reader (although I found the stock B&N reader to be balls). I imagine that there's a decent amount of people (not an overwhelming number, but a good slice) that bought it just to root and use in lieu of having to shell out for the more expensive actual tablets.

As far as this having an impact on Amazon's tablet plans... I think that, ultimately, Amazon does what Amazon wants.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
***I*** bought a Nook Color for the cheap tablet function (after rooting). The price was too good to really pass up to get a combination of most of the tablet features I want AND a good e-reader (although I found the stock B&N reader to be balls). I imagine that there's a decent amount of people (not an overwhelming number, but a good slice) that bought it just to root and use in lieu of having to shell out for the more expensive actual tablets.
I bought my Color strictly to get a tablet. B&N had the best price then and still does. Have no intention of using any tablet as an ereader.

Will have to wait and see what Amazon is offering up; but 9" sounds like it'll be priced higher than the Color.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #5
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apologies for the double Http://.../
first timer..
this report may not have any impact on Amazon,s plan right now but it may steer them to price their tablet competetively. We may get an announcement from bezos sooner. Especially if B&N is taking the limelight

Last edited by din155; 07-14-2011 at 04:30 AM. Reason: unwanted url
Old 07-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I'm sure if Sony included their laptop and television sales, the Sony Reader would top the list. However, like the Nook Color and Kindle/Nook touch, they are different classes of products. Tech journalists are imbeciles. Plus Amazon doesn't release sales figures so how the heck did they make that conclusion.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 07-15-2011 at 08:55 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:54 AM   #7
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Assuming they grouped sales of the K3 and DX, I think it makes perfect sense to group the two B&N products. A lot of those NC sales are unquestionably e-reader sales: consumers considering various reading devices and settling on the NC, with or without consideration of the tablet features. Many more are both tablet and e-reader sales: consumers not previously in either market for whom the tablet features made an e-reader purchase worthwhile (or vice versa), and consumers in the tablet market with e-reading as a significant consideration.

The existence of a third (almost certainly smaller) division of consumers purchasing the device with no intention of reading on it does muddy the waters a bit, but it would be considerably less sensible to compare the Kindle and Nook brands while omitting the NC.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #8
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
The NC is a personal computing device. Neither the Kindle nor the Nook STR are personal computing devices. B&N may have shared the name for marketing, but that doesn't make it a dedicated ereader. It isn't. Neither is an iPod Touch, which also displays ebooks.

Nothing that plays Angry Birds is an ereader.

The DX is a Kindle plus 3 inches, not an entirely different technology.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 07-17-2011 at 02:14 AM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
The NC is a personal computing device.
No matter how many times you say it, clicking heels or otherwise, the NC's in the market it's in, and as such it competes with the Kindle. I have my NC because I saw an ad for the KSO and started looking at reading devices again. The custom Android ROMs sold me, but iPad, iPod Touch, Xoom et al were not on the table. When people see me using the NC, they don't ask, "Is that some kind of iPod?" or, "Is that some kind of Droid?"

Instead they ask, "Is that a Kindle?"

I understand that B&N is marketing a tablet (however unusually configured) as an e-reader, but they're doing a good job of it. Even as an informed consumer, the fact that it was optimized for reading (hardware-wise: I knew before I got it that I'd be ditching the OS) was a major selling point.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
din155
Guru

Unless, B&N jumped into some other business line (which I have not seen), their primary business is selling books and any device they launch is primarily an e-book reader. I don't think B&N will be concerned too much about people using NC as anything else, as long as they are able to sell more e-books. Similarly, I won't consider kindle as computing device just because people use free 3G to check mails, do some browsing and are able to play few odd games. B&N is positioning NC primarily as an e-reader and they will be happy with the high sales, whatever maybe the reasons.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
outtoplay
outtoplay doesn't litterouttoplay doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Funny, that be it, politics, baseball, religion or the Federal deficit, nothing swells the ire of purists faster than to make an observation or sharing a thought that deviates from their entrenched POV.

Funnier still is that if some poor schmo happens to call the handheld device that fit their budget and taste an 'e-reader' that that too can incur similar pronouncements of blasphemy.

Life is complex and often stressful. If someone wants to call their kitchen sponge 'their ereader'....relax, smile and take a deep breath. Maybe they'll even let you play a round of Angry Birds on it between reading chapters of their favorite book and doing the dishes.

Last edited by outtoplay; 07-17-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo
outtoplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Nothing that plays Angry Birds is an ereader.
The Pocketbook 360+ plays Doom. Does that disqualify it as an ereader?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That just qualifies as awesome.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
din155
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You are doomed..!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
You are doomed..!
Why is that?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote