Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #46
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
On 902 there is a "reflow" option, but it makes pdf without any margins at all.

Perhaps I will just use bulk conversion in Calibri, should look better than with the internal 902 reflow.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #47
OphReader
Connoisseur
OphReader began at the beginning.

Device: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
On my trusty, old PocketBook 360 there is option where you zoom pdf automatically in such a way that you see only text and not left or right margin.
That would be exactly what I'm looking for. It's good to learn that it's technically possible so hopefully the next release of the firmware will feature it. *fingers crossed*
OphReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #48
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If I recall properly, that option "Fit width" is present in the new devices as well.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #49
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
If I recall properly, that option "Fit width" is present in the new devices as well.
Yes it is. There is "Fit width" for pdf in 902.
But it does not remove those wide white margins.
It treats the margins as an integral part of the the whole thing that has to be fitted - exactly the same as Adobe Reader does on PC under Windows.

I mean, with some pdf files it helps, but with the most I have - not nearly enough.
It zooms from the size of a matchbox to the size of a 6" screen perhaps, and the rest of 9.7" screen goes to waste, because it contains the original margins proportionally further expanded.

Last edited by parkher; 12-09-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #50
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
fit width- but in some cases it doesnt work because the "width" of the document IS the white space. Its a matter of how the PDF was created. Rotate the device to landscape and try it that way.

could you attach a document for testing>
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #51
parkher
Evangelist

If I convert pdfs to some other format, which would be the best for PocketBook 902?
I guess, there are 3 aspects to that:

1 which specific conversion tool (Calibre?) can maintain most of the pdf formatting in which output format?
2. which format is best displayed on PocketBook 902?
3. is there a way to configure PocketBook 902 to use FBReader for ePub by default?
If not, opening of ePub each time requires additional efforts

A somewhat related question: which is the best format for PocketBook 902 to convert .lit files to?
And perhaps some other formats?

Last edited by parkher; 12-09-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:25 AM   #52
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
1 which specific conversion tool (Calibre?) can maintain most of the pdf formatting in which output format?
I usually run pdf through an OCR program.
There are quite a few that accept pdf as input.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:59 AM   #53
OphReader
Connoisseur

I think it is unsatisfying if I have to convert pdfs before I can read them properly. After all the 902 has been advertised for exactly that purpose (reading pdfs that is)

I have attached a pdf created with latex.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 902.pdf (10.9 KB, 316 views)
Old 12-10-2010, 04:03 AM   #54
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OphReader View Post
I think it is unsatisfying if I have to convert pdfs before I can read them properly. After all the 902 has been advertised for exactly that purpose (reading pdfs that is)

The 902 is advertised for reading PDF's and displaying them loyably and with good readability. If the file does have margins, it's a matter of the file, not of the reader. You should remember that PDF is a print-oriented format, and people tend to use big margins.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:33 AM   #55
OphReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
The 902 is advertised for reading PDF's and displaying them loyably and with good readability. If the file does have margins, it's a matter of the file, not of the reader. You should remember that PDF is a print-oriented format, and people tend to use big margins.
If the 902 is advertised for displaying pdfs with good readability I would expect that the developers have dealt with the fact that pdfs tend to have margins and somehow solved that problem. I've just updated the firmware to 2.0.3 and am disappointed to see that the problem still persists.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #56
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
If the 902 is advertised for displaying pdfs with good readability I would expect that the developers have dealt with the fact that pdfs tend to have margins and somehow solved that problem. I've just updated the firmware to 2.0.3 and am disappointed to see that the problem still persists.
I agree.
Even the Kindle can do that (without any hacks).

Could there be anything relevant in the options?
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #57
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

here are screen shots of the file on the 902.

the file doesn't work using fit width because the margins are expressed as part of the width.

but here it is using regular zoom to 130%.

140%

150%

and Reflow at 200%

Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0003.bmp (487.6 KB, 1225 views)
File Type: bmp scr0004.bmp (487.6 KB, 1223 views)
File Type: bmp scr0001.bmp (487.6 KB, 1207 views)
File Type: bmp scr0002.bmp (487.6 KB, 1230 views)

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 12-10-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #58
Dulin's Books
Wizard

oh and one more Reflow at 300% in landscape
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0005.bmp (485.3 KB, 311 views)
Old 12-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #59
parkher
Evangelist

Some issues:

Actually, I would like even larger margins than "large" in FBReader settings.
That's why I bought 902, so that a typical paperback book could fit with wide margins.
Is there a way to set margins by a specific number in mm or other units?
Perhaps something can be done in fbreader.cfg file, not just border=2.

As to ePub - it also has no margins to speak of, if viewed in AdobeViewer, and I suspect that DRMed books have to be viewed in AdobeViewer.
So this has to be fixed as well.

And finally, pdfs: after reflow, sometimes there are no margins whatsoever, which is not acceptable.

Another issue: what about default,25 font in FBReader?
If I choose any other font, I cannot return to default, even with "Clean State".
None of the offered fonts has sizes 15,20,25,30,35 as the default font does.
Strange. To return to default I have to edit the .cgf manually and write there literally:
"default,25".

Another thing: if I set over the top large font size (like 72) in FBReader settings, then I have only two choices with the font size buttons: either the smallest or that insanely large.
Turns out, its current size in settings is shown as a crazy large multi-digit number.

3. Where are the text-to-speech modules located in the machine, and where to get them and how to install?
In my machine, Russian language module is missing, although it specifically was demonstrated in a PocketBook video, actually reading the russian user guide (which was also missing in my PocketBook).

4. What about mp3 player? Can it be somehow controlled?
- how to stop it (not pause) playing , other than setting to one song mode and waiting until the song ends?
- how to make it not to search for mp3s through all the directories and files each time it starts. With 32 GB card and thousands of directories and files, it may take half an hour.
- I don't want it to collect everything together: I may want to listen an album at a time.
Or to listen to an audio book, it is a book reader, after all.
Actually, I did not test yet with mp3s in different folders, maybe it somehow retains the hierarchy? Not likely.
So I want to place audio books alongside the printed ones in the same directory structure, and then to invoke the mp3 player on a specific audiobook. Is it possible?

5. How to do Page Up, Page Down on the directory list in the library. Is it possible at least to map some key to do that?

6. Ok, guys, so where did you get the 2.0.3 firmware?

Last edited by parkher; 12-10-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #60
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Sorry, I can help only with some issues:

Quote:
1. Actually, I would like even larger margins than "large" in FBReader settings.
That's why I bought 902, so that a typical paperback book could fit with wide margins.
Is there a way to set margins by a specific number in mm or other units?
Perhaps something can be done in fbreader.cfg file, not just border=2.
As to ePub - it also has no margins to speak of, if viewed in AdobeViewer, and I suspect that DRMed books have to be viewed in AdobeViewer.
So this has to be fixed as well.
The missing margins are very annoying and make it practically impossible to read a novel (or anything not in pdf-format). You can help yourself by changing the settings in the css-file of the epub, afterwards the Adobe Reader will display the book nicely, but I do not know how many readers will and can make this additional work.

Quote:
3. Where are the text-to-speech modules located in the machine, and where to get them and how to install?
In my machine, Russian language module is missing, although it specifically was demonstrated in a PocketBook video, actually reading the russian user guide (which was also missing in my PocketBook).
The text-to-speech-modules are only published in English, French, Italian and German. I do not know if and when other languages will follow.

Quote:
6. Ok, guys, so where did you get the 2.0.3 firmware?
Here, in the German subforum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=33
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote