Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 05:06 AM   #76
irmar
irmar began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook plus 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passepartout View Post
I haven't read it from Pocketbook official but 901 is cancel for me, it is only for schools in Ukraine and not for retail selling. The 901 - that would be a good reader for me for the money. All I have used - only reading.
I also want an ereader only for reading. All the other things add weight and cost. And wi fi, G3 etc... are not good for health. For the same reasons you shouldn't handle a mobile phone too much. But an ereader is in your hands for many hours. I'm very worried about those things, electromagnetic waves etc... and don't want them in my ereader. I've got a Cybook Opus because of that, but I also need a bigger one for home use and reading pdfs. So is it confirmed that no 901? I've searched everywhere on the web and couldn't find it.
irmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 AM   #77
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
I'm very worried about electromagnetic waves... and don't want them in my e[lectronic] reader.

Last edited by Logseman; 11-19-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #78
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
It seems that irmar is not the only one who is afraid of an EM field. The most conclusive piece of information that I found stated that:
Quote:
When we have conducted measurements in schools, typical exposures from wi-fi are around 20 millionths of the international guideline levels of exposure to radiation. As a comparison, a child on a mobile phone receives up to 50 per cent of guideline levels. So a year sitting in a classroom near a wireless network is roughly equivalent to 20 minutes on a mobile. If wi-fi should be taken out of schools, then the mobile phone network should be shut down, too - and FM radio and TV, as the strength of their signals is similar to that from wi-fi in classrooms.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #79
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmar View Post
I'm very worried about those things, electromagnetic waves etc... and don't want them in my ereader.
Having said that, the World Health Organization seems not too concerned, and frying rats also appears not to matter.

Anyhow, you could always switch the WIFI off
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:45 AM   #80
irmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
Anyhow, you could always switch the WIFI off
It seems that everything with an antenna, like a mobile phone, keeps sending signals even when it's switched off.

I'm in love with my small Opus, but I do need something on those lines, only bigger.

Last edited by irmar; 11-29-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:52 AM   #81
irmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Sorry if my terminology is not always correct, English is not my first language, I put "waves" instead of "EM fields". No need to make easy fun of me.
Yeah, "electromagnetic" and "electronic" is more or less the same word, is it not? Well, not exactly. If you imply that all electronic equipment has EM fields, you're right, but surely you must know that wireless communication (like router, mouse, keyboard, phone etc...) is more harmful in that respect than non wireless. So yes, an e-reader will still have those, just as a PC or a TV etc..., but if it can go online, it's a significant jump, not the same thing at all.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:16 AM   #82
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmar View Post
Sorry if my terminology is not always correct, English is not my first language, I put "waves" instead of "EM fields". No need to make easy fun of me.
Yeah, "electromagnetic" and "electronic" is more or less the same word, is it not? Well, not exactly. If you imply that all electronic equipment has EM fields, you're right, but surely you must know that wireless communication (like router, mouse, keyboard, phone etc...) is more harmful in that respect than non wireless. So yes, an e-reader will still have those, just as a PC or a TV etc..., but if it can go online, it's a significant jump, not the same thing at all.
Wave is the right word. Fields cannot send information. The change in that, wave, can. I think he isn't make fun of your choice of word, but I think he find it funny that you worry about such thing.

While the harmfulness of these waves could be controlversial, you can just turn it off. No, if you turn it off, it won't send out signal.

I hope that helps clearify things.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote