Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy PDF to EPUB adds extra blank lines ??

Firstly I would like to thank the developers of Calibre which I use constantly with my Kobo.

My problem is that when I convert a PDF document to EPUB, Calibre takes a chunk of text (just about a line and a quarter on my Kobo) irrespective of punctuation etc. and adds a chunk of blank space of similar length.

The conversion is fine except for this arbitrary adding of blank lines and space.

I would like to know if there is a conversion feature in Calibre that I can use to prevent this ?

Having done a search and read the "sticky", I have seen other similar problems (but not quite the same apparently) for which someone suggested using Sigil to reformat after conversion.

I am not familiar with Sigil, however I am willing to download it and learn how to use it to do this formatting, but I would obviously prefer a simpler solution inside Calibre if possible.

Thank you in advance for all advice,
Rojofo.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Your best bet is probably just to enable heuristics during conversion. If default settings do not work try reducing the line wrap factor.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Rojofo
Zealot

Many thanks for this rapid reply.

Yes, what I am trying to understand about line unwrapping is the negative effects of reducing the line unwrapping factor too much.

I'm afraid that the complexity of the Calibre user manual on this question is way above my head.

Thanks once again for all advice.
Rojofo.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Rojofo
Zealot

Well, I took your advice and reduced the line unwrap factor to 10 and this seems to have solved the problem.

However, using the heuristic processing seems to have made all the text italic.

Now I will have another look at this...

Many thanks,
Rojofo.