Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
chmac
chmac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 US Wireless
Question Jammed 5 way controller, always up

Holamigos,

Bought a Kindle2 US edition in May 2009. Today my girlfriend tells me that, miraculously, it has a problem! The 5 way controller appears to be jammed in the up position. When I turn on the device, the dictionary lookup is scrolling continuously upwards. Pointing the 5 way controller down doesn't have any effect.

The 5 way controller did break into two halves a week or two ago. I used a little dot of superglue and stuck the two halves back together. The glue has been well dried and I've had no problems. I'm not sure if the two issues are connected, I suppose they probably are.

I'm considering opening the device to see if I can fix it physically. I've read about opening the Kindle, it doesn't look too complicated, but it also doesn't look too simple.

To further complicate matters, I'm in Costa Rica, no plans to be back in the US in the immediate future. Just mailing the device back to the US to get it fixed and then back here would probably cost more than a new $140 wifi kindle.

Has anyone seen this problem discussed before? Any advice?
chmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
My joystick broke, and Amazon replaced it for me, no hassle. Give them a call, they should be able to help you out.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
chmac

Thanks for sharing. Was your Kindle within the warranty period? My Kindle is 15 months old now, just outside the warranty period. :-(
Old 08-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmac View Post
Thanks for sharing. Was your Kindle within the warranty period? My Kindle is 15 months old now, just outside the warranty period. :-(
Yes mine had like a few weeks left in it, it was but the CS representative I spoke to told me it wouldn't have mattered, that they would have replaced it anyways.

People have called Amazon after having their kindles thrown into water and dropped and broken, admitted this to the Kindle CS representative and have been mailed a new kindle the next day. Can't beat that. Really, give them a call!
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
chmac

Awesome. I sent them an email already, I'll try calling if the email process doesn't work out. Thanks again for sharing, that sounds like awesome customer service. :-)
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Andrew Kaufman
Author/Suspense Thrillers
Andrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
The problem you're describing is very common. I've run into several people who have had the same exact thing happen. On each occasion, they contacted Amazon who shipped a new one out to them immediately--even when their warranty had expired, which tells me they're aware of the defect.

My experience with Amazon's customer service has always been top rate. My Kindle has broken two times and on each occasion they shipped a new one to me within a day and told me to send the old one back at my convenience. I wish other companies would follow their example!

You should have no problems.

Andrew E. Kaufman/Author
Andrew Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Good luck.
Don't forget to tell us what is happend after that.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
chmac

I'm delighted. Exactly as you predicted, Amazon shipped a new Kindle today, I have 30 days to return the old one. The response to my email said, please call Kindle Support. When I called, the guy on the phone was super helpful. He said that Amazon have a 90 day "extra" warranty in addition to the standard 1 year warranty. My guess is that it's optional depending on the problem reported.

I'm very pleased to be an Amazon customer today. :-)
Old 08-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
It's wonderful customer support !
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:38 AM   #10
Andrew Kaufman
Author/Suspense Thrillers
Andrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Yep. Amazon's customer service is among the very best. They never disappoint me. It's one of the many reasons I'll stay loyal and keep using the Kindle!

I'm glad your experience was good as well!
Andrew Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Gridsketch
Mobile Enthusiast
Gridsketch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, iPad, Samsung Intercept (Android)
I just called customer support with the stuck 5-way controller problem. They did not offer to replace my Kindle 2 for free. It's almost two years old, refurbished, and way past the warranty. They did offer to replace it for $89 though. I passed on the offer since I already bought the kindle 3.
Gridsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #12
chmac

Sorry to hear about your experience. I guess their "extra / secret" warranty only extends 3 months or so. Hope you're enjoying your Kindle 3, I've got my eye on one... :-)

Tags
5 way controller, kindle2