Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #61
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
6" screen protector at walmar for 14.00 cd 2 pk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katdragon View Post
Okay everyone,
Clint says that he's happy with his Kindle cover (which is a bit smaller than the Kobo one by a few mm as we mentioned before). He is able to get us the covers for US$24.99 MINUS 30 percent - US$17.50. This works out to be around AU$20 (AU$19.80 depending on the currency rate).
Some of you have expressed interest in getting these covers so please PM me if you want them. I'll be PMing those of you who mentioned their interest on here already, just in case you don't check this forum.

Right now, the interested parties are:
BBel
techie42
Bismar
viviena

The final cost will be $20 plus whatever postage it is to ship 'em to you from Adelaide.

Please let me know if you're good for this as I don't want to order a whole bunch of covers from Clint and then have nowhere to send them!

IMPORTANT EDIT:
Clint has just reminded me that the InvisibleShield isn't just a peel-and-stick application. Be aware that it'll take 12-24 hours of not using your Kobo because the stuff actually has to "cure". Here's a demo video with an iPad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3sO5fBD77Y
hey guys.. been reading your posts now for awhile. I bought a screen protector by puretek at Walmart it was 14 dollars. its a nice protectore tad short on the bottom or top depending how you would apply it. I go top to bottom so for me it was maybe 2mm give. I like it alot.. it is a glossy screen and it does pop(polorize) the eink text for those who think the eink is a little washed out. Drawbacks are finger prints, and potential glare. works great you get two to the pack and its affordable. I am looking for an antiglare screen but to be honest im liking the pop of the eink it does make it nicer on my eyes...

im here in fort erie ontario and the screen protectors were at the walmart here in town

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #62
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
Just to weigh in with my two cents. I recently noticed a ding on my Kobo's screen. It's a fair-sized one; it looks as though a small portion of the matte coating has come right off. I feel lucky that it's in the margin where it won't interfere with actual text, but it's convinced me that a screen protector is a good idea.

In case you're wondering, I don't think I've been careless with the ereader. I haven't dropped it or stacked anything on top of it. In fact, I have no idea how this ding happened.
It could be a manufacture defect or it could be everyday use and you brushed the screen past something sharp? Any way i hope a screen protector helps you cover it up. I would contact kobo and see what they say if its a defect they may know about the potential flaw that caused your flakeing of the screen.

regards

Jack
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #63
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
You've pointed out three times in this thread the uselessness of a screen protector. Your concern is admirable, but screen protectors for electronic gadgets can generally be a good idea, especially depending on the person (such as clumsy me). Sometimes people such as myself have even used screen protectors and covers with their devices.

In addition, I know that had there even the merest blemish or scratch on the screen, it would drive me loopy -- most of my gadgets have suffered not from deep, lengthy scratches, but distracting little nicks. The old style iPods drove me bonkers. My Nintendo DS's screen has suffered from just using the included stylus. I know if I notice a single dead pixel in an LCD screen, I'll see it forever after. My point is that I'm easily distracted and my devices some times look a little worn. I figure that $20 for this will give me some peace of mind. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Woot!!!! right on a lot of us are like that. Some are not so concerned but we still have a use for them. Regardless its a personal choice... I for one like to armour out my electronice devices so i have my iphones all sitting in otter box defender series cases.

Plus the right screen protector can add some added benefits such as polorizing the images (text) and helping them to pop at us, thus making the reading much more enjoyable! At least thats my opinion and im entitled to it right or wrong (mostly right) lol cheers!

regards

jack
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #64
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post

The Invisible Shield is a proven, mature product. As I have stated all over, I use them on my GPS, cameras, phones, PDAs, and both my wife's Kindle2 and my Kobo eReaders.

Clint
If you buy your Invisible Shield at Future Shop (and probably Best Buy as well), they will apply it for you. I am not good at anything that requires this kind of eye-hand coordination, so it was worth the $10 they charged to have someone experienced apply it to my Nexus S. The application is guaranteed for life (whatever that means) when they do it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #65
Vivian
Connoisseur
Vivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo 1
Thanks for the suggestions, jackastor and taming. Anything shiny is out for me. My husband got a free protector with his Kindle case and I tried it on my Kobo; it fit very well but I couldn't stand the glare, especially when compared to what it was like without the protector. I ended up taking it off (not easy!!)

InvisibleShield sounds more my speed and I am glad to hear they are available at Future Shop. I'll check that out.

The ding wasn't always there, I'm sure of it. I would have noticed it earlier. I've had the Kobo over a year--yep, it's fresh out of warranty.

I was considering getting one of those Roots leather cases and just leaving it in there whenever I'm not using it. Do you think that would be adequate protection?
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #66
jackastor
Wizard

Vivian its one of those things that boils down to this. It will only be as safe as you can make it. And taking all the precautions does not mean something is going not goig to happen. Accidents are just that things that happen.. no fault of anyone.. Any case is going to mitigate the potential for castrophic damage. So bottom line is it will provide adequete protection but not total. I use the Chapters indigo book case... I like the look but im not totally satisfied.
Plus the eleastics kind of get in the way of the button. I have the touch btw. LOL

I seem to recall seeing an anti glare screen It was either future shop or best buy... one of those places. I wonder if that would help you out? It could have been The source too btw.. i tend to wander those places when i am bored and looking .

I guess it boils down to what you want and how you want it! In the end what works for you is not neccesarialy going to work for me and versa vice...

I will keep a look out for the anti glare screen protector i had one on my iphone what a dif it makes just for fingerprints alone!

If i see it I will let you know where.

regards

jack
Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 AM   #67
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
I buy screen protectors for my various phones from an eBay store called DCMUGEN and noticed that they have anti-glare screen protectors for the Kindle 2, Nook Colour and original Nook.

Maybe worth a look?
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #68
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
I buy screen protectors for my various phones from an eBay store called DCMUGEN and noticed that they have anti-glare screen protectors for the Kindle 2, Nook Colour and original Nook.

Maybe worth a look?
Had a look at the ebay store. the price is resonable. Im thinking the 6" screen standard size would work for all as its from the diagnol... but i notice not one screen protector fits perfect regardless of who it is made for.

But for 7 dollars and you get 3 of them i can learn to live with that!

regards

jack
Old 06-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #69
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
No one has mentioned this yet, so here goes . . .

If you haven't discarded it yet, why not use the protective plastic that came with the reader in the first place? My Kobo Wifi came with a perfectly applied and clear protective plastic sheet over the screen, which a new user is supposed to remove.

I didn't remove mine, and used a sharp razor blade to trim it to the exact dimensions of the screen while still installed (it's a few mm wider than the screen all around). It's a lot easier and less scary than it sounds; you use the plastic housing as a guide. Note that I have no special talent or a particularly steady hand.

Mine came out perfectly. As usual, YMMV.
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #70
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Bane View Post
No one has mentioned this yet, so here goes . . .

If you haven't discarded it yet, why not use the protective plastic that came with the reader in the first place? My Kobo Wifi came with a perfectly applied and clear protective plastic sheet over the screen, which a new user is supposed to remove.

I didn't remove mine, and used a sharp razor blade to trim it to the exact dimensions of the screen while still installed (it's a few mm wider than the screen all around). It's a lot easier and less scary than it sounds; you use the plastic housing as a guide. Note that I have no special talent or a particularly steady hand.

Mine came out perfectly. As usual, YMMV.
lol why not but your the second to mention it, it was metioned in a diferent thread then here! I am still looking for a matte finish or who knows maybe a mirrored?
No i think a matte finish would be best. less fingerprints..

regards

jack

Last edited by jackastor; 06-29-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #71
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I made a slip case out of some compressed foam material (looks sort of like leather) and slip the Kobo into it when I put it in my bag. Despite several years of being hauled around in a backpack it is still in excellent condition. The cover has a few marks and scratches, but that's what it is there for. I use the Kobo every day and it is often in the backpack 4-5 times a week. This way there is no extra layer on the screen,
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #72
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I made a slip case out of some compressed foam material (looks sort of like leather) and slip the Kobo into it when I put it in my bag. Despite several years of being hauled around in a backpack it is still in excellent condition. The cover has a few marks and scratches, but that's what it is there for. I use the Kobo every day and it is often in the backpack 4-5 times a week. This way there is no extra layer on the screen,
necessity the mother of invention.

great idea

regards

jack
Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #73
Vivian
Connoisseur
Vivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo 1
Well, I got a Roots leather envelope cover. It looks as the name says, like an oversize envelope: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ereadi...0270-item.html. It doesn't have any elastics and you just take the reader all the way out when you want to use it. Next time I am in Future Shop I'll see if they have the InvisibleShield, but I think this might be good enough. Especially since my reader's old and everybody else has a better one than me now.

I saw the new touch Kobo and it's a lot smaller than the other kinds. Isn't it too small for the cases?
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post

Maybe worth a look?
I've never seen a need for a screen protector for an eink screen and I've had all three different eink screen types. I've had the original, Vizplex, and now I have Pearl. All don't need a screen protector and that includes the Pearl with IR touch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #75
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
I saw the new touch Kobo and it's a lot smaller than the other kinds. Isn't it too small for the cases?
Yes there are new cases designed to fit the Touch.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote