Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
JimmyH
Enthusiast
JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O, Droid RazrMaxxHD
Got Rid Of The Ads On My Home Screen

When I bought my new Voyage at Best Buy last week I only had the option of with ads. I figured it was no big deal but I find it very annoying, even though it is only on the home page. I called amazon and a customer service rep showed me how to go to "manage your devices" and opt out of the ads. Cost me the $20.00 difference that is charged when you opt out buying direct from amazon, but to me it is worth it.
JimmyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
When I bought my new Voyage at Best Buy last week I only had the option of with ads. I figured it was no big deal but I find it very annoying, even though it is only on the home page. I called amazon and a customer service rep showed me how to go to "manage your devices" and opt out of the ads. Cost me the $20.00 difference that is charged when you opt out buying direct from amazon, but to me it is worth it.
I also have one with ads that I've been delaying getting rid of. I always keep my WiFi off, so the only "ads" I currently see are book covers of Amazon recommendations. The thing is though they look so good at 300 ppi resolution that I actually enjoy seeing them I seriously need to get over my love of this device LOL
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Yes, I recall paying my way out of the Special Offers on another device. I then decided that I like the ads, now that they are only for books. It used to be ads for a hodgepodge of things (totally unrelated to books). It was downright irritating at times. Now the books make nice visuals in comparison to the stock screen savers (pencils, block letters, whatever else...).
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I cancelled the ads on mine too. And since I've got the Origami cover, when I open the case the Kindle turns on and goes to the page I'm on in my book--assuming I leave the book open. Pretty cool. A few years ago when they first offered SO versions the SO actually were good and you saved money buying stuff you would have bought anyway. But after about the first 6 months the SOs became pretty useless. So now I wait until I'm sure I will keep a new Kindle, then pay to turn them off.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
I've paid to opt out of ads on my PW so sent an e-mail to amazon asking to have this ads-free option transferred to my new Voyage and in about 20 minutes they replied back saying it's done. Just needed to connect both old PW and new Voyage to the internet.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
That's nice, that they did that.

I'm still new to the special offers, so I don't mind seeing them. Just watched the movie promo for "Interstellar" today, as a matter of fact, since that was on the lock screen.

I noticed on the Offers page at the bottom there is a hotlink to the Amazon page to improve recommendations, so if I get sick and tired of the things they are offering me, I plan to go in there and tweak things. Right now, the SO don't bother me enough to pay and extra $20 to get rid of them.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:29 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
I've paid to opt out of ads on my PW so sent an e-mail to amazon asking to have this ads-free option transferred to my new Voyage and in about 20 minutes they replied back saying it's done. Just needed to connect both old PW and new Voyage to the internet.
I was wondering if they would do that. Thanks for answering the question I hadn't asked yet.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:08 AM   #8
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
I actually like the ads as they are very well done and make the 'screensavers' more interesting lol
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:31 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
I actually like the ads as they are very well done and make the 'screensavers' more interesting lol
Their downside is when using a sleep cover: the Kindle won't automatically wake up when you open the cover if you have ads.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:51 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
I'm slightly puzzled by why you would ask them to do this. You got $20 off the price of each of your devices by choosing to buy the ad-supported version. Should you not, therefore, pay back the $20 to get rid of the ads on each device?
Old 11-02-2014, 03:51 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm slightly puzzled by why you would ask them to do this. You got $20 off the price of each of your devices by choosing to buy the ad-supported version. Should you not, therefore, pay back the $20 to get rid of the ads on each device?
actually, read his earler post - he had paid once already to opt out - seems reasonable that he should not have to pay twice. I am guessing that the ads will now re-appear on his PW, they are moving the opt out status from device A to device B

what I don't understand is folks with auto-wake covers still paying to have the ads removed, when they are never going to see them anyway ?

I have the ads on my Kindle Fire,
Having seen pics of the 10 random ( not customisable) screen savers that I'd get if I handed over $20, I reckon the ads are less boring !
I even bought something, once !
What is a tad deceptive though is that if you go look at the detail of one of the ad offers, or at the amazon deal of the day - you typically see a rash of 1 star reviews telling you that the product is utter rubbish. so I suspect they use ads/ deal of the day to clear stock that no one would otherwise buy.

back to the ads or not issue: If you could pay & then be allowed to install your own screen saver(s), and/or be allowed to disable the lock screen completely, that would be much more attractive.

Last edited by cybmole; 11-02-2014 at 03:54 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:53 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
actually, read his earler post - he had paid once already to opt out - seems reasonable that he should not have to pay twice. I am guessing that the ads will now re-appear on his PW, they are moving the opt out status from device A to device B
OK, that makes sense . I hadn't considered that scenario.

Quote:
what I don't understand is folks with auto-wake covers still paying to have the ads removed, when they are never going to see them anyway ?
Because it doesn't work like that. If you have ads, and you use a sleep cover, you have to swipe to dismiss the ads screen when you open the cover.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #13
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Their downside is when using a sleep cover: the Kindle won't automatically wake up when you open the cover if you have ads.
I'm sure this is a typo of some sort With a sleep cover, the Kindle "wakes up" when opened if you have ads or not. The difference is whether the Kindle opens up to ads or to your book.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:30 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I'm sure this is a typo of some sort With a sleep cover, the Kindle "wakes up" when opened if you have ads or not. The difference is whether the Kindle opens up to ads or to your book.
I did not express myself very well: that is indeed my meaning. With a sleep cover, if you have ads, you have to swipe the screen when you open the cover. Without ads, the Kindle goes straight into your book.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #15
MDIreman
MDIreman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I did not express myself very well: that is indeed my meaning. With a sleep cover, if you have ads, you have to swipe the screen when you open the cover. Without ads, the Kindle goes straight into your book.
The swipe gets old, especially when it turns off so quickly.
MDIreman is offline   Reply With Quote