Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #31
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
I love this plugin. I have a plugboard set up to add the page number in brackets to the title on my Kobo
Code:
{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}{#pages:| (|) }
Two things I would love in this plugin:

1) A config option to have it automatically update the #pages column when the count worker thread comes back. Is this possible or is there a plugin limitation?

2) I think this one is even more likely to be impossible in a plugin: An option to have this plugin automatically run on any Epubs when they're added.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #32
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Re #1 - the reason for the prompt is to make sure the database is updated without losing any data. What if you were using edit metadata on that book when the page count job finished? The page count would be lost when you closed the dialog.

Re #2 - yes not possible afaik. There is no event notification that I am aware of to tell the plugin that a new book has been added.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #33
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
For Your Consideration:

Kiwidude, would you be willing/able to add an option that makes the page count populate a certain field "automatically" when adding a book to Calibre?

Oh, and thank you for the epub tip, I'll have to go back and give that a try. I have a few books where the page numbers are suspect.

Last edited by Nyssa; 06-08-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typos
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #34
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Nyssa - see the two posts before yours
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Nyssa - see the two posts before yours

I read #1, but not #2. So my thought was..."well I don't want the pages next to the title, but wouldn't it be cool if the page count field was automatically populated"

... Sorry & thank you.
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #36
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Re #1 - the reason for the prompt is to make sure the database is updated without losing any data. What if you were using edit metadata on that book when the page count job finished? The page count would be lost when you closed the dialog.

Re #2 - yes not possible afaik. There is no event notification that I am aware of to tell the plugin that a new book has been added.
Fair enough. I still love this plugin.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #37
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Add option to generate a word count instead of or in addition to page count

Thanks to Idolse for the code snippet. Retrieving the word count into an additional custom column will offer an alternative statistic indicating the relative size of your books.

Define a new Integer custom column to store your counts in, instructions as per the first post as you did for page count. You might find it useful to format this count using {0:,} as the format for the custom column. Then after installation of this plugin version/restarting Calibre, go to the plugin configuration dialog (Preferences->Plugins->User Interface plugins or via Plugin Updater) and select your custom column for word counts.

If you have no interest in retrieving the word count, perform the upgrade but no change is required to your configuration. Setting the custom column to blank (default) will mean the statistic is not calculated.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #38
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Wow! This is way cool. Thanks
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #39
Nyssa
Series Addict

You are the Awesome!

Note: I would suggest not to process more than 25 books at a time. I'm trying 75 and it's been at 99% complete for over 2 minutes now (total processing time over 5 minutes and 34 seconds), where as 25 books took an average of 50 seconds and 50 books took 2 minutes.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #40
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Nyssa - that surprises me. I did around 1500 books at once, without any issues (I can't remember how long - 10-15 mins?). I wonder if you have a problem with a particular book. It is running the statistics as parallel jobs just like conversions do so there should be no issues with memory leaks etc.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #41
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
@Nyssa - that surprises me. I did around 1500 books at once, without any issues (I can't remember how long - 10-15 mins?). I wonder if you have a problem with a particular book. It is running the statistics as parallel jobs just like conversions do so there should be no issues with memory leaks etc.
Hmmm. Could be. I looked and my processing time for 25 books decreased from an avg of 50 seconds to 30 seconds. I then did 50 books and that only took 1 minute and a half. I'm trying 100 books now.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #42
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Are your books mobi or ePub? Mine were ePub, so there was no conversion necessary. Also do you have plenty of space on your drive where the temp files reside.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #43
Nyssa
Series Addict

1. 100 books took 4 minutes and 4 seconds.

2. Mobi - automatically converted from AZW, etc. when added to the library.

3. I have plenty of space, approx. 800gigs of a terabyte drive.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #44
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I completed my collection of 1497 mobi's all in one swoop and while I cannot give you an exact time how long it took (because I was muti-tasking and moved my attention to something else) it did not take more than 1/2 an hour and that was with the fact that I received an error.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #45
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Nyn - yeah I don't consider that time unreasonable, given that you have mobi files so it is converting each one to ePub to count the words. I could possibly remove the need for the conversion with a little work, using similar code to what user_none has in his APNX file stuff. But this is one of those things that you only need to run once and it runs in the background, so a few seconds here or there shouldn't really make a huge difference. I'll put it on the todo list to do some proper testing at some point to see what difference it makes.

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin