Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like to see (and contribute with) book uploads for other e-readers?
Add a new Book Uploads section for multiple formats 21 63.64%
Add a new Book Uploads section specific for the iRex iLiad 12 36.36%
I have handmade public domain books I'd like to upload and share 9 27.27%
I'd love to download handmade public domain e-books 16 48.48%
More comments (please explain in your post) 5 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2007, 11:47 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since the iLiad had Mobipocket for it, just make the conversions for it in PDB format and then the palm types can read it as well. LIT format is good to have for use on the computer or laptop. And yes there are good tools to convert from LIT to something else such as LRF. Book Designer would be the best tool of choice in this multi-conversion as it will allow format once, write multiple.

Jon
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #17
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
I meant the HTML download as an additional option. The HTML is the base for most ebook formats so it is needed for those who want to create the various formats. I doubt that all the creators here know all the tricks for all the formats equally well. So collaboration is needed. Probably the download area needs to be moved over to the wiki.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2007, 12:00 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
I meant the HTML download as an additional option. The HTML is the base for most ebook formats so it is needed for those who want to create the various formats. I doubt that all the creators here know all the tricks for all the formats equally well. So collaboration is needed. Probably the download area needs to be moved over to the wiki.
The solution to that would be easy. When you attach the book for the forum, make it a ZIP file with the book already compiled and the source file be it HTML, HTML0, or whatever was used. Include a text file to say what program was used and the options and there you go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:23 AM   #19
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Perhaps it'd be better to upload the books to FeedBooks for processing into Custom PDFs?
FeedBooks seems to only offer eBooks in PDF form (according to the quick check I did), making the service worthless.

I can understand offering eBooks in ready-to-go formats for those who don't want to be bothered to do their own conversion, but the original source should [B]always[B] be offered as well.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:17 AM   #20
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
FeedBooks seems to only offer eBooks in PDF form (according to the quick check I did), making the service worthless.

I can understand offering eBooks in ready-to-go formats for those who don't want to be bothered to do their own conversion, but the original source should [B]always[B] be offered as well.
I don't think that all of our registered users consider Feedbooks worthless, hopefully. PDF is what we selected for the beta, since it's the only good way to keep nice typesetting in an e-book for the moment.
What you call original source is actually quite different on Feedbooks: the source is not a file but in multiple tables in a database, divided into elements that are not presentation tags but parts/chapters/sections.
And some of the presentation tags are book specific too like footnotes for example.
Oh and unlike many websites, the source is always included both on the website and in the book, so you can easily find who scanned, did the proof reading etc...

Based on your opinion, I guess that you also consider the LRF uploads worthless, since on the forum, people usually upload the LRF only ?

Last edited by Hadrien; 06-12-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #21
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
What you call original source is actually quite different on Feedbooks: the source is not a file but in multiple tables in a database, divided into elements that are not presentation tags but parts/chapters/sections.
Then you should be able to provide eBooks in a non-restricted format just as easily as you can in PDF.

Quote:
Based on your opinion, I guess that you also consider the LRF uploads worthless, since on the forum, people usually upload the LRF only?
All closed, proprietary formats are worthless.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #22
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
We should have the base books cleaned prepared and stored in HTML. When you click on a book choice a dialog box asks you what format you need and a universal translator coughs it up for your download. That would be a neat service similar to a vending machine and necessitating less server space. MR's service would stand out with the offer of tasteful displays like those RWood and HarryT do. Every format available could be provided, particularly orphaned device formats, those that are no longer supported by their departed makers.

Can this kind of software be done and offered on a large scale?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #23
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Then you should be able to provide eBooks in a non-restricted format just as easily as you can in PDF.
We can and we will be supporting Open Ebook in the future. But for us, HTML/XML is not the source.

Why ?
Because if we only used HTML/XML as the source, we wouldn't have any markups dividing the book correctly. A book is not strictly presentation, there's also semantic information in it. HTML is not the nexus for e-book: it lacks some very valuable information.
We must not represent a chapter as something slightly bolder and on the center of the page, in what would be the source of all those e-books formats. You don't need to store a TOC in the source, you can easily create a TOC if you have the right markup for parts/chapters/sections.
The same thing could be said for footnotes too.

Restrictions are not purely based on DRM or reflowable capabilities.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps it'd be better to upload the books to FeedBooks for processing into Custom PDFs?

(Sigh) I was talking specifically about how we might handle uploads of PDF books, rlauzon, so the fact that FeedBooks only offers the thing I was specifically talking about is kinda the point.

I know you don't like PDF, Mobi, LRF, and all the other 'closed, proprietary' formats, and I'm not disputing the point, but a lot of folks do get a lot of mileage out of them.

I think that when we're talking about ways to offer free books in as many formats as possible, for the convenience of as many folks as possible, with as little trouble as possible, the fact that some of those formats are terminal ones (as in you can't get the stuff back out) is not really the most important point in that context.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #25
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Because if we only used HTML/XML as the source, we wouldn't have any markups dividing the book correctly.
This is untrue.

You are correct that HTML may not provide all the information you need, but you are incorrect when you say that XML cannot. XML is often used as the "flattened" form of a database.

Quote:
A book is not strictly presentation, there's also semantic information in it.
Which XML can provide.

Last edited by rlauzon; 06-12-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #26
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
(Sigh) I was talking specifically about how we might handle uploads of PDF books, rlauzon, so the fact that FeedBooks only offers the thing I was specifically talking about is kinda the point.
And when the next eBook reader comes out that doesn't support any of the PDF eBook sizes, all the work you did becomes useless.

Quote:
I know you don't like PDF, Mobi, LRF, and all the other 'closed, proprietary' formats, and I'm not disputing the point, but a lot of folks do get a lot of mileage out of them.
I do understand. But I also understand that as PDF (or any other locked down format) gains users, it makes it that much harder for a standard eBook format to be created.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And when the next eBook reader comes out that doesn't support any of the PDF eBook sizes, all the work you did becomes useless.
Which is why I suggested handling them through FeedBooks which creates them on the fly and can re-create them for other sizes, eliminating the human effort from the equation altogether.

Quote:
But I also understand that as PDF (or any other locked down format) gains users, it makes it that much harder for a standard eBook format to be created.
I'm not disputing that either, but we weren't discussing what formats should be used in a universal sense, but rather how to best serve our members, some of whom use terminal formats such as PDF, and I see FeedBooks as an excellent way to not put a lot of human effort into creating the individual books. Hadrien has already put a lot of his own effort (which I assume is human ) into creating an engine that does the work for us.

Yes, he's working on handling other outputs, but it's not a finished product yet.
Yes, there are other ways to do it than the way he chose, but he did have to choose one.
Yes, we all want a single, standard format, but we don't have one yet, and people have to choose from the ones available, or give up e-reading altogether, which doesn't help further e-books either.

That's all I'm trying to get across here.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #28
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
This is untrue.

You are correct that HTML may not provide all the information you need, but you are incorrect when you say that XML cannot. XML is often used as the "flattened" form of a database.

Which XML can provide.
Yes and we're going to use XML for this. But most XML-based formats are purely based on presentation and nothing else (that's what I was pointing to, using XML in my previous post). In the future we'll use as an input xml that will be divided into 2 different types of tags:
- metadata and structure
- presentation

Metadata will be for the name of the book, the title, the isbn, the tags, short description etc...
Structure will divide the the book into parts/chapters/sections and might be extended for other type of texts (plays ?).
Presentation will keep some basic XHTML tags (b, i, br, center, hr...) but we'll also add a few book specific tags (<fb:footnotes>, <fb:verse> for example).

With such an XML file we'll have exactly the same stuff than in our database.

Out of this structure, we'll create files on the fly like we already do (PDF right now, XML based formats in the future, we already tested TTS too).

In our admin, we already have a feature to export our book in XML form, but very basic support right now, we'll work on extending this during the summer.

Last edited by Hadrien; 06-12-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #29
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
@ rlauzon

What's your idea of the best format we should have? Is there one now you'd see over others?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist

That sounds like a good topic for it's own thread, yvanleterrible.