Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
liquidenvy
liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I can't remember who said it (regarding writing).. "If you want to send a message, use Western Union".

I think those who put a heavy-handed message in their work will almost certainly alienate whomever doesn't already share those opinions. BUT, if the reader does agree with your viewpoint, that validation might be enough to carry off the book for you.
liquidenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #17
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidenvy View Post
I can't remember who said it (regarding writing).. "If you want to send a message, use Western Union".

I think those who put a heavy-handed message in their work will almost certainly alienate whomever doesn't already share those opinions. BUT, if the reader does agree with your viewpoint, that validation might be enough to carry off the book for you.
That was in an Ad. Also "send a telegram"
That service was discontinued in 2006. I don't know about the money service.

When I was a little bitty kid, I saw telegrams. Some of them had the paper strip from the telegraph key machine with the message pasted on paper. Later messages were typed on the paper.

Usually it was for a death or it might be the time of arrival on a train. And my mom had some from the 2nd world war, when her brother was wounded. In a scrap book.

Also I think it was easier to send a telegram than to make a long distance call for a lot of people, just like some people use "money orders."

A telegram would be carried to your house immediately.

Last edited by SeaKing; 04-19-2013 at 01:10 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #18
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
This one is probably going to be getting close to politics, but I want to try to keep it writing-related. So I'm not going to be talking about my personal views or opinions of these authors, but trying to figure out how these authors got away with it.

Ayn Rand sets up straw opponents in almost every single work she wrote. So did Orwell in 1984, and Bradbury in Farenheit 451. In none of their major works, do the protagonists face realistic antagonists. Reading them, or summaries, makes me feel like they were scripted like a children's cartoon where the villain goes on long diatribes about how they're in it "for the evulz" and all that.

If a modern author was trying to do something that blatant, whether politically- motivated (as all three were) or not, they'd likely get panned to destruction. But they weren't for some reason. They're still lauded as writers of classics, and usually on most schools' reading lists.

How the heck did they get away with it?
see General Discussions "9000 rough men" for Orwell genius

Last edited by forsooth; 04-29-2013 at 07:51 PM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidenvy View Post

My research says it was Samuel Goldwyn who ran MGM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
That was in an Ad. Also "send a telegram"
That service was discontinued in 2006. I don't know about the money service.

When I was a little bitty kid, I saw telegrams. Some of them had the paper strip from the telegraph key machine with the message pasted on paper. Later messages were typed on the paper.

Usually it was for a death or it might be the time of arrival on a train. And my mom had some from the 2nd world war, when her brother was wounded. In a scrap book.

Also I think it was easier to send a telegram than to make a long distance call for a lot of people, just like some people use "money orders."

A telegram would be carried to your house immediately.
I believe the telegrams were probably a lot cheaper than the expense of a long distance call. I don't know what they cost but I imagine if you could get 10 words for 10 cents or spend several dollars for a couple of minutes on the phone (assuming you could reach your party) the choice was probably clear.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I believe the telegrams were probably a lot cheaper than the expense of a long distance call. I don't know what they cost but I imagine if you could get 10 words for 10 cents or spend several dollars for a couple of minutes on the phone (assuming you could reach your party) the choice was probably clear.
That was before my time, but I think you are on to something.

They didn't have answering machines back then. My own mom never had one. A phone call might have to be made several times, IF there was a phone where you wanted to call.

If you sent a telegram, either the telegram guy left a note, or they left the message. You normally would be sure to get notification. As said above, when the train was arriving, or the new baby.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
That was before my time, but I think you are on to something.

They didn't have answering machines back then. My own mom never had one. A phone call might have to be made several times, IF there was a phone where you wanted to call.

If you sent a telegram, either the telegram guy left a note, or they left the message. You normally would be sure to get notification. As said above, when the train was arriving, or the new baby.
It was long before my time too, but I have seen old movies where they had to send a telegram or make a long distance call and certainly that would have had to be accurate because the audience would have known if they were twisting facts. Even when I was a young kid (in the 70's) my paternal grandmother had a party line phone. The modern system we have now didn't exist back then. It was still rotary dial phones back then.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It was long before my time too, but I have seen old movies where they had to send a telegram or make a long distance call and certainly that would have had to be accurate because the audience would have known if they were twisting facts. Even when I was a young kid (in the 70's) my paternal grandmother had a party line phone. The modern system we have now didn't exist back then. It was still rotary dial phones back then.
before that was tubes and whistles

Last edited by forsooth; 04-27-2013 at 11:32 PM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #24
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
before that was tubes and whistles
I think you are talking about ships.

Before that and at the same time, it was cords and bells. (Downton Abbey)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Ayn Rand sets up straw opponents in almost every single work she wrote. So did Orwell in 1984, and Bradbury in Farenheit 451.
Ayn Rand's books apparently appealed to a certain demographic and Orwell and Bradbury simply wrote good books.

Quote:
In none of their major works, do the protagonists face realistic antagonists. Reading them, or summaries ...
Have you actually read these books or only the summaries? If so, please elaborate on your "straw opponent" argument for each of them.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I think you are talking about ships.

Before that and at the same time, it was cords and bells. (Downton Abbey)
Actually tubes were used in some areas. In the movie "The Shadow" starring Alec Baldwin such tubes are used to transport messages to the Shadow's headquarters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_tube
Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #27
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
We have collection of postcards in a writing box of my grandmother's - she was living in England when most of them were collected. They read like today's phone text messages (without the bad spelling and leet. ) And just like today's camera phones, people used to send postcards that were photos of themselves. A century has passed and it's surprising what hasn't changed.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
We have collection of postcards in a writing box of my grandmother's - she was living in England when most of them were collected. They read like today's phone text messages (without the bad spelling and leet. ) And just like today's camera phones, people used to send postcards that were photos of themselves. A century has passed and it's surprising what hasn't changed.
I remember reading (in a writing book I think) how true that is. Someone, I think in the forward, noted how alike letters written home by a roman soldier and a soldier in WWI were. For that matter students in the later middle ages writing home for $ help were very like a letter which a student away at college today might write. Some things just don't change no matter what the time period.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #29
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
My experience of Ayn Rand books is those that say they read them haven't really read them other that first couple of chapters. Not the best of books to be honest.
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by altworld View Post
My experience of Ayn Rand books is those that say they read them haven't really read them other that first couple of chapters. Not the best of books to be honest.

And, in your experience, what do you think of those who say they haven't read Ayn Rand's books?

Don
(Someone who has read "The Fountainhead")
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote