Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Like Blossom and Woekie, my screen is perfect. I had to put a book on my k3 as a test, and was astonished at how dirty the screen looked compared to the PW, even with the K3 lighted cover turned on. I don't even have contrast issues with my PW - it looks as good or better than the K3.
Yeah it so hard to use a regular Kindle after the PW because of that dirty look they have. You never notice it though till you use a Paperwhite. It's kind of ruins you for the other Kindles.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #17
bbesse
bbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with others

Device: PaperWhite WiFi, Kindle 3 WiFi!
Well I got the PW Friday afternoon and i have to say I am very pleased. I don't seem to have any of the colered blotchs or screen issues that people have talked about. I was able to set it up and get my library transfered easily.
I really liked reading in the afternoon light and it was even nicer reading in bed. I lowered the light level a bit and my wife said it did not bother her. Her lighted cover for her Kindle 3 is more bothersome IMHO.

I have to say I am joining the ranks of the "I like my PW"!
bbesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbesse View Post
Well
I really liked reading in the afternoon light and it was even nicer reading in bed. I lowered the light level a bit and my wife said it did not bother her. Her lighted cover for her Kindle 3 is more bothersome IMHO.

I have to say I am joining the ranks of the "I like my PW"!
I went through many book lights, lighted cover and a Kindle Fire. The Paperwhite is the only reading device my husband has not complain about me using in bed while he is trying to sleep.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I went through many book lights, lighted cover and a Kindle Fire. The Paperwhite is the only reading device my husband has not complain about me using in bed while he is trying to sleep.
I'd have to agree with that. I've been reading on my Sony again & using a booklight at night. I have the Verso Arclight & the M-Edge touch light. They both light up a lot more of the room than just my reader screen. That's a huge difference with the PW.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
Kasrielle
Enthusiast
Kasrielle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
For those that are now receiving their PWs through amazon.ca - which model are you receiving? And is the colour blob issue fixed? I've been wanting a paperwhite for a long time (hate needing a little light in bed - never works well) but I'm nervous about the image quality issues I've read about here and on other Kindle forums.
Kasrielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #21
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
It is sounding like they may have fixed the issue with the kindle PW. It is good to hear some buyers here who are happy with their unit. Thanks for telling me how you feel about the one you got.

Last edited by Corran006; 01-27-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Yeah it so hard to use a regular Kindle after the PW because of that dirty look they have. You never notice it though till you use a Paperwhite. It's kind of ruins you for the other Kindles.
When someone asks me if it is useful to upgrade to the Paperwhite, I always answer like this:

"You know how a mass market paperback looks?"
" And you know how a high quality hardback with extra white paper looks?"
" That's the difference between the Paperwhite, and the ones before it."

Two people upgraded (one from a K3, one from a Sony), and both are happy with the upgrade. I've been happy with mine too, for almost 7 weeks. (Imported it from Germany.)

There are two other people who don't know zilch about ebooks (nor about Calibre, but I disabled everything apart from uploading and removing books), but bought a Touch on my advice, because the lighted readers at that moment were not good enough, or unstable software. That was a month before the PW was announced. Now that it's even available for online shopping, I don't dare to speak to them about e-readers, lest they discover the Paperwhite (or maybe Glo) and they'll kill me dead.... Twice

Quote:
Marry me! I never sleep (except in public transport)! Happy reading is just one divorce away; the chance of a lifetime!!

(For brevity's sake, I'll omit all of my bad habits you'll get back in return.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-29-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrielle View Post
For those that are now receiving their PWs through amazon.ca - which model are you receiving? And is the colour blob issue fixed? I've been wanting a paperwhite for a long time (hate needing a little light in bed - never works well) but I'm nervous about the image quality issues I've read about here and on other Kindle forums.
The PW's light diffuser is a diffraction grating, hence it exhibits a certain amount of colour fringing. This is inherent in the design, and applies to ALL Paperwhites, regardless of what people may tell you. Most people really don't notice this, and aren't bothered by it, but if you look for problems with it, you WILL see the fringing. So the question to ask is "is this something that's likely to bother me?" If the answer is "yes", don't get a PW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #24
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Well, I got mine last week and I notice the pink and blue 'color fringing'. I really don't know if I can deal with it. Once I noticed it, it's hard not to every time I try to read... it's very distracting.
Hey Harry, if this is something normal to the way the paperwhite works, why have I seen videos where the screen doesn't display blotching?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote