Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Mousebumples
Mousebumples began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Android
Content Server / Wireless Device Connection both not working

I've recently updated both Calibre (for my PC) and Calibre Companion, and now I am unable to connect from Calibre -> Android device via either the Content Server and the Wireless Device Connection. I've followed the Help Doc that pops up after a failed connection (for both), with no luck. When I input the IP address/Port for the WDC, no luck. Same goes when inputting the IP/Port for the CS.

I've tried it the WDC only, CS only, both enabled. I've tried with the USB connection to my computer and without. I removed the password that I'd previously enabled, just to see if that made a difference - no luck. I've power cycled, and my internet/wireless connection works fine (otherwise) on both the PC and Android.

Any other suggestions?
Mousebumples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My guess is that your firewall is now blocking calibre. Did you recently get a new "security suite" or antivirus program?

Try going through the steps listed in FAQ 1 of the post Calibre Companion Android App: Information, Change Log, and FAQ. The FAQ assumes you are running windows and windows firewall. When going through the steps, be sure to interact with the firewall that is actually installed. For example, ESET seems to block calibre by default, so you will need to do whatever is required to change its settings, not the windows firewall settings.

If you can't resolve the problem, then:
1) What IP address does calibre display in the Connect/Share menu for the content server and for the wireless device?
2) What IP address does CC display in the settings for wireless connections?
3) Can any other computer/phone on your home network "see" the content server?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Mousebumples

1) What IP address does calibre display in the Connect/Share menu for the content server and for the wireless device?
192.168.1.69 Port 9090 for WD, Port 8080 for CS

(Ports shown as "Allowed" and "Listening" in my Firewall program - Webroot, which I've had for months and, to my knowledge, hasn't changed)

I only have the one computer and the one Android device. So I'm afraid I don't have any way to test this one.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousebumples View Post
192.168.1.69 Port 9090 for WD, Port 8080 for CS

(Ports shown as "Allowed" and "Listening" in my Firewall program - Webroot, which I've had for months and, to my knowledge, hasn't changed)

I only have the one computer and the one Android device. So I'm afraid I don't have any way to test this one.

Thanks!
Hmmm...

Something must have changed. The question is "What?"

In CC, do you have anything in Settings/Wireless Device Connection/IP Address and Port? In Content Server Connection/IP Address and Port?

EDIT: To be clearer, when I asked for the wireless device IP address in the post above, I was asking for the address displayed in the line "This device's IP address is ...". In this post I am asking for any IP address in the box labeled "IP address:".

Last edited by chaley; 01-17-2013 at 10:29 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Interesting spread on those (DHCP assigned ? ) IP's for a user with only 2 wireless devices
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Mousebumples

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Interesting spread on those (DHCP assigned ? ) IP's for a user with only 2 wireless devices
I have more than 2 wireless devices - my BluRay player is WiFi, and I have a WiFi enabled printer and external hard drive. (However, to my knowledge, none of those are Calibre compatible.) I have also had friends over who have used my WiFi for their computer/phone for a weekend or whatever.

Anyhow, something in the latest update (for either Calibre or Calibre Companion) seems to have "fixed" this issue, as I was able to connect via WDC this morning and update my book files. (My apologies for the delays in updating - I've been out of town for work the past few days.)

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousebumples View Post
I have more than 2 wireless devices - my BluRay player is WiFi, and I have a WiFi enabled printer and external hard drive. (However, to my knowledge, none of those are Calibre compatible.) I have also had friends over who have used my WiFi for their computer/phone for a weekend or whatever.

Thanks again for all your help!
Those explains the spread
I was suspecting your (Calibre host) IP got changed during a lease renewal

A Blu Ray Player with a EPUB app Hmmm!
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote