Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #35446
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you are going to be using it regularly at a house or places where you can sit, I would go with the 10 inch tablet. I love my iPad. Comics display nicely on it, it is easy to read on, and easy to surf the net. I could see a 7 inch if you are going to be taking it with you on a day to day basis.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #35447
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If you are going to be using it regularly at a house or places where you can sit, I would go with the 10 inch tablet. I love my iPad. Comics display nicely on it, it is easy to read on, and easy to surf the net. I could see a 7 inch if you are going to be taking it with you on a day to day basis.
Yes, I agree. I like the ipad very much and for close to three years it goes where I go. And reading in the glaring sun in the desert?( not that there's any in the Netherlands......)......just turn around a bit and the reflections won't bother you.
And I load photo's on it during my travels and make my traveljournal on 'pages' which you can export as worddoc, or email.
But go for the 64 GB!
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #35448
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Hmmm... multiquote isn't working for me. When I tried to use it just now it acted just like the regular quote button I had to copy and paste to quote orlok & kennyc. Anyone else having a problem with multiquote today?

Hmmm... Neither the Bold button nor Ctrl + B make letters bold. Guess I'll have to type it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I have Windows 8 on one of our laptops, and really don't like it. Hope you fare better with it Tom....
"Really don't like it" pretty well sums it up. I didn't think I would, but there seems to be a major shift in progress in the way computing is done, and I didn't want to fall behind the curve. Still, I have a hard time believing that business people are going to look at this OS and say to themselves that this is the system they need to run their businesses. Finding anything is a bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Drivers are always the issue with these things. That's why I waited forever to upgrade to 64 bit win7....

Good Luck!
I noticed on their website that they don't yet have drivers for Windows 7. Guess my best bet is to buy a new sound card. Way to go, Creative. The sad thing is that they really make great hardware.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #35449
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Everything is working here. Maybe restart your browser or re-boot. ??

as far as Creative -- sounds like they have abandoned that hardware. Too bad.

One of my biggest concerns upgrading to Win7 and then Win7 64 was whether Sonar and my PreSonus audio interface would work or not. That was a big part of my delay -- and I've really not used either for a long while now....

Last edited by kennyc; 01-16-2013 at 08:21 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #35450
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Yes, I agree. I like the ipad very much and for close to three years it goes where I go. And reading in the glaring sun in the desert?( not that there's any in the Netherlands......)......just turn around a bit and the reflections won't bother you.
And I load photo's on it during my travels and make my traveljournal on 'pages' which you can export as worddoc, or email.
But go for the 64 GB!
I'm planning on getting an Android tablet because my phone's an Android, too. I've tried my father's 10 inch tablet and found it tires my wrists and arms quickly (although that probably is just that I have to get used to it). I'll mainly will use my tablet in bed, when watching tv at night or reading and I quickly want to check something online, check the news or play a game. I'll also plan to read graphic novels on it. I'll also use it as a replacement for my notebook when house sitting for friends during weekends between April and October, again just to surf and read news. Finally I'll bring it with my on holiday abroad (again instead of my notebook), which is usually once a year.

Finally I like the €250 price of the Nexus 7 32gb. 10 inch tablet, at least the ones with specs I like are a lot more expensive.

I think I'll go to the store next Monday, when I get home and play with a 7 inch tablet, unfortunately you can't install programs on it to test them out (like a comic book reader) but hopefully just surfing will give me a good enough idea. I hope.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #35451
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Hmmm... multiquote isn't working ... Neither the Bold button nor Ctrl + B make letters bold....
Quote:
Everything is working here. Maybe restart your browser or re-boot. ??
I rebooted and the multiquote and bold functions seem to be behaving normally.

Quote:
as far as Creative -- sounds like they have abandoned that hardware. Too bad.

One of my biggest concerns upgrading to Win7 and then Win7 64 was whether Sonar and my PreSonus audio interface would work or not. That was a big part of my delay -- and I've really not used either for a long while now....
Yes. We buy these things because you can plug just about anything into them, and they aren't cheap. Moreover, programs like Sonar demand a professional sound card. But the hardware developers don't keep up with the operating systems. It's enough to make someone go postal.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #35452
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I'll also plan to read graphic novels on it.
In that case the 10 inch is a lot better. I have tried reading them on my 7 inch KFHD and my wife's iPad 3, and the iPad wins out every time, for obvious reasons.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #35453
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you are using it in bed and can lay it on a pillow or your knees you will find the 10 inch works better for you. I use it to play games (Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Tikal, Ra, Medici, strategy games), read, and surf the net. Love my iPad. If I were to need something for a commute and day to day use outside of the house, I would probably get a iPad Mini when the second generation comes out with the better screen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #35454
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Waiting for Chris to get home so I can make dinner. Normally I can start it and figure out how to time it so it's ready just when he gets home, but tonight is tortellini - which does not sit well. So I'll wait til he gets home to make it. Thank goodness it only takes a couple of minutes in boiling water to be perfect.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #35455
ladyashk
Enthusiast
ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600 (2009, Nook Simple Touch (2012), KPW2 (2013), KPW4 (2021)
Answering to these forum questions.
ladyashk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #35456
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Clicking on "What Are You Listening to Right Now?" only to remember that I haven't had a functional sound card on my computer for two days now—ever since I upgraded from Vista to Windows 8.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #35457
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Clicking on "What Are You Listening to Right Now?" only to remember that I haven't had a functional sound card on my computer for two days now—ever since I upgraded from Vista to Windows 8.
Get thee to the "Vent and Rant" thread!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #35458
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Get thee to the "Vent and Rant" thread!
I've got one of these on order. The status is showing shipped. I certainly don't like the set up the way I do my E-mu 1616m (and the Emu-1820m I had before that), especially as that means crawling on the floor to get to the back of my computer to change any connections, but what can I do? I don't want to spend high dollar on a sound card for an aging computer.

And speaking of high-dollar, have you seen what some of the professional sound cards cost? They can get rather pricy. Here's one for $6999.00, which you can pay in "3 easy payments." Think I'll order a half-dozen, just in case one or two give me problems.

But I'm not ranting. I'm waiting. If the M-Audio Audiophile-192 isn't compatible with Windows 8—after the Microsoft website promised that it wasthen I'll rant!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #35459
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I've got one of these on order....
Don't know what happened to the attachments I uploaded, but let me try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1616mpcib.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	99552   Click image for larger version

Name:	audiophile192__06491_zoom.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	99553   Click image for larger version

Name:	3445-e-mu-1820m-large.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	99554  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #35460
kennyc

Quote:
I've got one of these on order. The status is showing shipped. I certainly don't like the set up the way I do my E-mu 1616m (and the Emu-1820m I had before that), especially as that means crawling on the floor to get to the back of my computer to change any connections, but what can I do? I don't want to spend high dollar on a sound card for an aging computer.

And speaking of high-dollar, have you seen what some of the professional sound cards cost? They can get rather pricy. Here's one for $6999.00, which you can pay in "3 easy payments." Think I'll order a half-dozen, just in case one or two give me problems.

But I'm not ranting. I'm waiting. If the M-Audio Audiophile-192 isn't compatible with Windows 8—after the Microsoft website promised that it wasthen I'll rant!
After evaluating a bunch of them and even purchasing and returning a couple a few years back I went with this: http://www.presonus.com/products/FireBox/media

which is now a discontinued product, so I don't suspect they will be falling all over themselves to update drivers for it....

of course this: http://www.presonus.com/products/FireStudio-Mobile
looks like the 'successor' or same thing renamed..

Last edited by kennyc; 01-17-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?