Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
Free (K) Radix (The Radix Tetrad - #1) - A. A. Attanasio [Science Fiction]

FREE at Amazon:

Radix (The Radix Tetrad - #1) - A. A. Attanasio [Science Fiction]

Amazon US---Amazon UK

-Originally Published by William Morrow in 1981.

-It was nominated for the Nebula Award for Best Novel in 1981.

*Note - I'm posting this later in the day (7pm California time), so this might be too late for some Europeans and other parts of the world. But, it's in ereaderiq so if you're interested it should come up again there (or you can put it into your watch list there).

Quote:
A young man's odyssey of self discovery in a world eerily alien, yet hauntingly familiar. Set thirteen centuries in the future, A. A. Attanasio meticulously creates a brilliantly realized Earth, rich in detail and filled with beings brought to life with intense energy. In this strange and beautiful world, Sumner Kagan will change from an adolescent outcast to a warrior with god-like powers and in the process take us on an epic and transcendent journey. Nebula Award Nominee.

Last edited by kg3; 09-21-2012 at 11:11 PM.
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Still free in the UK right now.

Thanks for posting this. I missed it last time, but have some of the later books (I think).
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
The third in the series is the only one that Phoenix hasn't had free, I think.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

--> Just a reminder, Book #2 of the Radix Tetrad is the Free Book from Phoenix Pick this month, free thru September:

In Other Worlds (Radix Tetrad - #2) - A. A. Attanasio

-Link to MobileRead thread with info and link to get the FREE book
Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that it's most likely going to come down as a KF8 version and given how bad Pheonix's ePub code is, I have very low expectations for this to actually be worth bothering with.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
kg3
Guru

--> JSWolf - Both of the books look fine to me, I checked them in Calibre.

-You've already mentioned your concerns in the thread I linked to for the free Phoenix Pick (Book #2). Many people on that thread report that the book is fine for them. I suggest for people to go ahead and decide for themselves, if they are interested in the book, and download and check it for themselves. It is available in many different formats and DRM-free.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that whoever at Pheonix that is making their eBooks just doesn't know how to do a good job.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that it's most likely going to come down as a KF8 version and given how bad Pheonix's ePub code is, I have very low expectations for this to actually be worth bothering with.
You do know this isn't from Phoenix, right?

The author has added it to the Kindle Select program.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
kg3
Guru

--I wish the only problems were just with formatting with some books, the ocr errors with complete words changed from the print edition (an example I can think of is "full" moon to "fun" moon) upset me the most. If I don't have a paper copy to compare to, I just sit and wonder at times if something might be wrong and I can't just go and check it. Also, lack of proofreading, obvious grammar errors, (not to mention just plain bad writing) etc., etc. These problems are rampant, I'm frustrated and I've only been reading ebooks for about 3 months (other than the occasional pdf on my computer before that). But, I've decided the benefits outweigh the negatives, though I wish the same standards applied to paper editions were applied to ebook versions (maybe in the future?).

--I guess everyone will just have to decide what they will or won't tolerate in any particular ebook, or if they're willing to change or convert it if necessary.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Some people are seeing problems with Phoenix (Jon) and some people are seeing no problems with Phoenix (me). One shouldn't complain when the books are *free*.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:35 AM   #11
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg3 View Post
--> Just a reminder, Book #2 of the Radix Tetrad is the Free Book from Phoenix Pick this month, free thru September:

In Other Worlds (Radix Tetrad - #2) - A. A. Attanasio

-Link to MobileRead thread with info and link to get the FREE book
Thanks for the reminder. I got the first one when it was free in february, but had forgotten to check Phoenix this month.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote