Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
So I actually got to the final steps but it didn't work:

Code:
dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p2.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p2 bs=4
k
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
67108864 bytes (64.0MB) copied, 20.588057 seconds, 3.1MB/s
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
rm: can't remove '/mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS': No such file or directory
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# idme -d --bootmode main
Devmode enabled
Reading vars from temp storage...
...None found, Copying vars from /proc
Setting bootmode to main
Writing new vars to temp area
You must reboot before new values will take effect
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# reboot
I'm still back in Tequila.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
(removed, irrelevant)

Last edited by ixtab; 07-22-2012 at 09:05 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used flashboot to flash the main kernel and image and rebooted into kindle 4.1.0. I think that is where the problem is, I didn't flash everything I needed to before, will try again.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I used flashboot to flash the main kernel and image and rebooted into kindle 4.1.0. I think that is where the problem is, I didn't flash everything I needed to before, will try again.
Your post #16 shows you writing the "Diags" system image, not the "Main" image.

The Kindles are "dual boot" computers.
mmcblk0p1 : "Main" file system (with a matching kernel)
mmcblk0p2 : "Diags" file system (with a matching kernel)
mmcblk0p3 : /var/local when seen from ssh
mmcblk0p4 : backing store for the USB storage file system
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #20
haydnfan
Guru

Thanks knc1 I figured that out a few minutes ago... I GOT IT!! I'm using vanilla 4.0.0 now!!!
Advert
Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #21
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
FYI (as mentioned elsewhere) fastboot cannot flash the main partition, which is too big for fastboot protocol, but a FALSE "success" report is returned. That is why we must flash main using "dd" at a diags ssh command prompt (or in a script). You apparently figured this out, but it is worth clarifying here for anybody reading this thread.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-22-2012 at 10:50 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #22
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks knc1 I figured that out a few minutes ago... I GOT IT!! I'm using vanilla 4.0.0 now!!!
I think that using the debricking tools to (finally) flash the right stuff to the right locations counts as a "successful debricking", especially because of using 64-bit win7. I added this to the list (with the 64-bit win7 note). I have not added "backstepping" to the list before but I think the "64-bit" part makes it belong there (as a reference).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-22-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #23
haydnfan
Guru

Unless I remembered wrong, it looks like you also updated the main entry to give warnings about the images/partitions. That is a good thing, it really threw me for a loop. I think that the biggest differences with the noob guide were:

(a) The inf wizard included in the lib-usb download has to be used to install the drivers (this is to generate the drivers specific to the 64 bit architecture), but there is a huge amount of difficulty (for me) unless it is done in the right usb mode (holding power key then down key, the only time to use the fast boot utility) and not ever in the default usb mode (else you can't copy the image over when you need to). If the Kindle driver is called "Kindle" it was done in the right mode, if it is called "Amazon Kindle" those drivers shouldn't be used, because you won't use it with the usb mode that works with the other programs.

(b) Using the 192.168.15.201 ip address (a serious mistake in the noob guide) for the ip address setting (which is set in the network center, under change adapters and then it appears as a local area connection, and the ip address can be changed under properties). And then using putty to ssh into 192.168.15.244!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #24
geekmaster

Quote:
Unless I remembered wrong, it looks like you also updated the main entry to give warnings about the images/partitions. That is a good thing, it really threw me for a loop.
The "matching kernel & image versions" warning in red has been there for quite some time. The updates in brown were added above it much later.

I will have to look at silver18's guide for noobs to see if any mistakes have crept into the various versions. I examined the first version and he made my suggested changes to it, but he has been adding updates that I have not been following. Perhaps there is a mistake, or perhaps it is just not clear enough. I will check into it...