Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #31
ava0775
ava0775 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Played with the white one last weekend but couldn't get past the blue button and the grey back. Happily purchased a black one yesterday. It's gorgeous.

The Chapters staff member told me other colours were coming but he didn't know what they were or when they would be available.
ava0775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well; my household now has a black one and a white one; the wife had fallen inlove with mine, so went out and got her one too Will let you know in the next day which one she thinks is more readable.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #33
blkninja1961
blkninja1961 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo blackberry
Readability

I can't see how the colour of the frame would affect readability. The only thing that I noticed is that with the light gray background, if the lighting is dim, I need to make the font bigger (old eyes).

One thing to think about is that with the black Kobo, I'm leaving fingerprints over it all the time. I'm constantly wiping it clean. Thinking about getting wrap but, I have concerns about how well it would adhere to the quilted back. anyone have any experience with this?
blkninja1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #34
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkninja1961 View Post
I can't see how the colour of the frame would affect readability. The only thing that I noticed is that with the light gray background, if the lighting is dim, I need to make the font bigger (old eyes).

One thing to think about is that with the black Kobo, I'm leaving fingerprints over it all the time. I'm constantly wiping it clean. Thinking about getting wrap but, I have concerns about how well it would adhere to the quilted back. anyone have any experience with this?
I've had both white and black kobo's and I did find that the screen is easier to read on the black one. The black frame seems to make the page pop out at you.

Gelaskins.com has skins for the Kobo and I've read a few different comments where people loved them.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #35
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Gelaskins.com has skins for the Kobo and I've read a few different comments where people loved them.
I can't find any kobo specific comments about the gelskins. Does anyone have one? I'd like to know how well it fits on the back what with the kobo having a texturized backing.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #36
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I'll try to find it.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #37
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
I can't find any kobo specific comments about the gelskins. Does anyone have one? I'd like to know how well it fits on the back what with the kobo having a texturized backing.
I just picked up my Kobo from Borders today - and my brother has arrived from Canada with a lovely Gelaskin. I'll let you know how things go.
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #38
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
There is a whole thread on GelaSkins here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85544

Read through and you'll see what people think. Also a link with some picks in the thread (post #8). I put Gelaskins on two Kobo's front and back. Love them. Check out my post (post #10).
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #39
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I've had both white and black kobo's and I did find that the screen is easier to read on the black one. The black frame seems to make the page pop out at you.
I too have both and prefer the white one for exactly the oppisite reason. I prefer the white because it blends in with the page a bit and acts like a margin in a book. Every now and again I look at the page and notice the border, and it looks like the text isn't in alignment with the screen border, and if I noticed the frame a lot more I think this my bug me.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #40
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
I have a black Kobo Reader. The only downside: people come up and ask me if it's an iPad.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #41
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
I have a black Kobo Reader. The only downside: people come up and ask me if it's an iPad.
... and naturally your response is "Indeed it is, and I'll sell it to you for a low low price of $300 RIGHT NOW!"
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #42
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
... and naturally your response is "Indeed it is, and I'll sell it to you for a low low price of $300 RIGHT NOW!"
Now why didn't I think of that!

I also had someone ask me if it was a Kindle, which I thought demonstrated a much better grasp of eReader technology!
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #43
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
I had a play at Borders with both colours and found that the black was better for readability as the contrast framed the screen nicely.

I put my Gelaskin on this morning and I am very happy with it.
The backing is sticky enough that it will stay on nicely, but if you mess up then you can peel it off and re-seat it without any trouble. There weren't any issues with bubbles, as a soft cloth will remove them easily.

Quote:
I'd like to know how well it fits on the back what with the kobo having a texturized backing.
Adding a skin to the back of any device will make it slicker, but you can still feel the texture through the Gelaskin which makes it less likely to slip. Of course you won't get the soft pillowy feel of the original but that's the price you have to pay.

If you can't tell, I am very happy with my Gelaskin!
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #44
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Ok, bringing up an old thread. I'm am all but sold on a Kobo as a second reader in our house (special thanks to those who answered my questions, as well as those who pointed out to the updated Linux version of the Kobo Desktop - makes me feel better about acquiring one).

So one last question (for now anyways )

Black or White? Which one do people prefer to read on? I see the black one may assist in the appearance of a higher contrast ratio than the white, though is the black one more prone to the showing of scratches and finger prints (petty aren't I?)? Then again (and this is under the presumption that the white is pretty similar to a white Wii) is it has the potential to hide scratches but show dirt easier.

So to sum up;
Black: Greater contrast ratio appearance yet more prone to fingerprints and scratches.
White: Less prone to fingerprints and scratches yet could show dirt more and readability slightly lower than the black. I guess additional is the D-Pad has a greater chance of showing dirt/marks than the black.

Am I being too cautious and creating irrelevant questions over my inability to just make a decision?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #45
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
No, you are not being cautious as the choice of style (including colour) of your ereader device is a personal decision. You have to be happy with what you buy.

I went for black because I liked the look of the black Kobo. Looks great in the Dermapad case as well
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo