Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-07-2024, 03:59 AM   #31
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
My Meebook M6 seems like half as thick as my Kobo Clara HD. Much more rounded edges. Lighter. Don’t mind the flush screen at all, actually is more robust the my Clara.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:09 AM   #32
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
My Meebook M6...
Interesting. It looks like it has the specs and the 3GB RAM is high for its class.

OTOH, the reviews seem to say that the response is slow?
The problem with ereader reviews is that many of them are first time users who are just happy that they have an ereader and have nothing to compare it to.

My main criteria is page-turns. They should be (almost) instantaneous, no flashing and be initiated by a down press (not a release).
A newby to ereaders would accept any amount of delay or flashing.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 07:52 AM   #33
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
My main criteria is page-turns. They should be (almost) instantaneous, no flashing and be initiated by a down press (not a release).
A newby to ereaders would accept any amount of delay or flashing.
Flashing means full refresh, no flashing means partial refresh. Only full refresh retains the sharpness and contrast 100%; with every partial refresh the text quality degrades ever so slightly. Granted, most people don't notice that. I do and it bothers me, so I enable the full refresh for every page on all my ereaders. Flashing doesn't bother me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:05 AM   #34
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Flashing means full refresh, no flashing means partial refresh. Only full refresh retains the sharpness and contrast 100%; with every partial refresh the text quality degrades ever so slightly. Granted, most people don't notice that. I do and it bothers me, so I enable the full refresh for every page on all my ereaders. Flashing doesn't bother me.
Same here. The flash becomes “invisible“ after a while, but the text quality is what it is. The flash is no more distracting than turning a page in a physical book. I configure for full refresh on every page.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:22 AM   #35
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Partial refresh" is correct in the sense that it only changes what is different.
It's easy to slam pixels to black or white. Gray requires more nuance.
The waveforms sent to the eink have to be adjusted for the temperature of the panel.
The accuracy of the temperature sensor, the number of waveforms and the Vcom of the panel all play a role in accuracy.

It's like if somebody told you to turn (without looking), a volume control to 66%, then 25%, then 87%, then 50%.
You could do this more easily if you were allowed to turn it fully counterclockwise during each setting.

Keep your flashing. I find no-flash acceptable.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:50 PM   #36
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
The waveforms sent to the eink have to be adjusted for the temperature of the panel.
The accuracy of the temperature sensor, the number of waveforms and the Vcom of the panel all play a role in accuracy.
Maybe that is why the ghosting on my Oasis 3 is so strong when it is cold, even with full refresh on every page.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 02:28 PM   #37
Renate
Wizard

I believe (but don't know) that all ereaders just use the temperature sensor in the battery instead of using a separate sensor on the eInk panel itself.
For Android devices you can use my UsbMode.apk (in the sig) to see what the battery temperature sensor is reporting.
For Linux devices I'm sure there is some way to check.
In any case, the temperature reading should correlate to reality.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:38 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
My Meebook M6 seems like half as thick as my Kobo Clara HD. Much more rounded edges. Lighter. Don’t mind the flush screen at all, actually is more robust the my Clara.
Interesting. The Meebook M6 is 109.7 152.4 x 7.1 mm and weighs 190 g. The Clara HD is 110 x 159.6 x 8.35 mm and weights 166g.

An interesting talent for math where the difference between 7.1 and 8.35mm is said to be half as thick (a difference of 17%) while the difference in weight between 190g and 166g is said to be lighter (a difference of 14% in the wrong direction). By your logic, it would seem that saying the Clara HD seems to weigh half of weight of a Meebook M6 would be close to correct.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:24 PM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjv View Post
I had a new battery put into my Kobo Mini, and it's like new. Fits in the t-shirt pocket.
I'm reading a book on Kobo Mini now. With a Glocusent clip-on light (using the amber LEDs) it even works well at night. (This Glocusent light is reviving all my older readers.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote