Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Might be a basic question...

I was thinking about buying one of these for a friend, but she's not online, nor does she even have a computer ; if I bought this for her does she need to be online in order to buy books and read?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
She does need an Amazon account to buy books and register the Kindle. Afterward, she wouldn't need a computer, but it is much easier to browse for books and download samples on a computer, rather than on the Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I was just wondering. I figure if she wants a reader it would be best to get her one where she doesn't absolutely have to get a computer. I don't want her to feel like she has to but all this stuff in order to get it to work. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
there's no reason she wouldn't be a happy kindle owner with occasional library or friend's computer access. in all honesty setting up the credit card would be the only time she really needed it. it is indeed easier to browse from a real computer unless you have a good idea of what you are looking for
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle is the best choice for someone in your friend's situation. This is assuming there is a good enough AT&T wireless signal to browse the Amazon store and download ebooks on the Kindle. If not, you can send it back without cost within the 1st 30 days.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Kindle is the best choice for someone in your friend's situation. This is assuming there is a good enough AT&T wireless signal to browse the Amazon store and download ebooks on the Kindle. If not, you can send it back without cost within the 1st 30 days.
Er, I think it is a Sprint signal, unless something has changed.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Er, I think it is a Sprint signal, unless something has changed.
Sprint for the Kindle 1 and the Kindle2 US but it is AT&T for the Kindle International
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think Kindle 2 is completely AT&T now
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I think Kindle 2 is completely AT&T now
Yes, all you can buy new now is the "Global Wireless" version with AT&T. If you know that Sprint is better where you live, the "U.S. Wireless" version is available used from Amazon (and other places).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I agree with Wallcraft. For someone without a computer, the Kindle is probably the best choice. Almost every other reader requires a computer connection to load the books (as far as I know).

Emonti8384, you don't say in which country your friend lives. Keep in mind that, if she doesn't have a computer, she will definitely need Whispernet access (and vice versa).
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
Okay, I was just wondering. I figure if she wants a reader it would be best to get her one where she doesn't absolutely have to get a computer. I don't want her to feel like she has to but all this stuff in order to get it to work. Thanks!
My granddaughter doesn't have internet access where she lives.......so every once in a while, she comes over and I load her kindle up for her.....maybe that would be an option for you? For like, free books and stuff?

Last edited by desertgrandma; 01-12-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: addendum
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
If she is close to a public library with internet access she is would have no problem using the Kindle. Might be an idea for you to set up her account on your local machine and instruct her how to safely use public computers when logging in to her account.

Also the library might even have ebooks to loan so going there to buy and loan ebooks is a 2 birds with 1 stone scenario!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

My friend lives in Ohio with me as well, and it's technically for her daughter. They do not have a lot of money, she saw my reader and absolutely loved it. I'm trying to pick up a used Kindle 1 for a good price (tho I'm not having much luck lol). She's 14 years old and I know she'd appreciate it, and to keep reading alive with the younger generation I'll go to extremes!

Wait, I'm only 25, surely I'm still considered the younger generation, right? Right!?

If I can find one for her it would be well worth it for me. Thanks everyone for your input!