Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
"lost symbol" not as ebook

According to this news form german "Buchmarkt" featuring an article of the NYT, the new Dan Brown bestseller will not make its way to ebook-readers until 5 million paperbacks are sold.

"the lost symbol" will be released at 09/15. At 09/16 we will find it as pirated ebook in the internet. Wanna bet?
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because of their attitude toward eBooks and their customers, I will not be purchasing the eBook. And I will read it only if my local library gets it as I will not pay for the eBook. Well done in losing sales.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I really would like to make a snide comment about how ebook readers wouldn't be missing much anyway, but I'll refrain

That's extremely ridiculous though. I suggest that everyone does what Jon says, but make sure you write an email to the publisher so they know (instead of when the ebook comes out and no one buys it and then they just whine that no one buys ebooks)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because of their attitude toward eBooks and their customers, I will not be purchasing the eBook. And I will read it only if my local library gets it as I will not pay for the eBook. Well done in losing sales.
... and by doing that, you will achieve nothing other than to reinforce that publisher's attitude that it is not economically viable to release eBooks. Is that really your goal?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
According to this news form german "Buchmarkt" featuring an article of the NYT, the new Dan Brown bestseller will not make its way to ebook-readers until 5 million paperbacks are sold.

"the lost symbol" will be released at 09/15. At 09/16 we will find it as pirated ebook in the internet. Wanna bet?

I would instantly convert to any religion that would promise their particular God could guarantee less than 5 million copies of this hackfest sold.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... and by doing that, you will achieve nothing other than to reinforce that publisher's attitude that it is not economically viable to release eBooks. Is that really your goal?
What it will do is show the publisher that delaying the eBook release is a bad idea. I'm not stealing a copy of the book. I'm just not spending any of my money to read it. When we do have publishers releasing eBook of big named books on time or near enough, then they will see the sales of the eBooks happen. But to delay until 5 millions hardcovers are sold is silly.

Just take a look at the Twilight series. The eBook for the last book was delayed I think a week and it did sell well as an eBook.

Treat us fairly and the publisher will see fair results. Treat us like dirt and lose sales.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This issue seems to be heading for a Catch-22/vicious circle/(insert your appropriate metaphor for unwinnable situation) - in that publishers come up with "new" sales models for ebooks that anger ebook customers who don't buy the new ebooks that justify the new sales models ...
Greed - it's a wonderful thing. Esp. when everyone loses.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I would instantly convert to any religion that would promise their particular God could guarantee less than 5 million copies of this hackfest sold.
Amen, brother, amen. (No insult intended to acolytes of any religion).
Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
So angry about this.

The other problem I we have is that my mates will read the p/hbook before me now.

Wait a minute, is that 5m worldwide sale?
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
So angry about this.

The other problem I we have is that my mates will read the p/hbook before me now.

Wait a minute, is that 5m worldwide sale?
Well - that should only take a day or two.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

Considering HP was also available next day... I think you're spot on.

Quote:
This issue seems to be heading for a Catch-22/vicious circle/(insert your appropriate metaphor for unwinnable situation) - in that publishers come up with "new" sales models for ebooks that anger ebook customers who don't buy the new ebooks that justify the new sales models ...
Greed - it's a wonderful thing. Esp. when everyone loses.
The only way to break it is not to buy any version of the book. Audio, HC, pocket, ebook... Hit them where it hurts, in their sales...

Naturally, the ebook reader group is still too small to make really a difference...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've yet to read the first two books. I was planning on it. But now I am not sure since there may be a good chance I'd finish them before the third was available as an eBook.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I just checked one of the local library networks I have access to and The lost Symbol has been reserved 745 times with 96 copies on order (so far).

The other library network has 65 copies on reserve and 34 copies on order (so far).

I did reserve from the library with only 65 copies on reserve in case I do decide I want to read the other too books and then this one.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
I've seen it happen sooner. Printing companies have employees too.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
jament
Enthusiast
jament doesn't litterjament doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
I don't think the situation is not winnable. I plan to download the book when it hits the darknet. Combining this with news with the Slate article, I think that like the music industry, a shift to piracy is the only thing that may bring publishers to their senses. Offer affordable, timely book releases that folks will buy or push them to free alternatives.
jament is offline   Reply With Quote