Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
New Firefly/Serenety Movie!

According to Mike Cane there's a new Firefly movie coming out called Bellflower.

That's awesome news! I loved the series, really enjoyed the Serenity movie, and was delighted with the free novel (My Own Kind of Freedom)

The May 2007 trailer can be found here, saying "Coming Soon"... http://bellflower.sigil777.com/media.php?id=1
I sure hope it's still coming!

Okay, seems it's a fan film. But that's okay.. some of these fan films can be really good. This one seems to be feature film length and full construction sets and so forth. The executive producer just posted this on April 25, 2008
Quote:
OK all you wonderful people.

Here we are into our very last set. A reproduction of the bazzar set from ep 14 the message.

Today was our first day of construction. great turn out of labour from kerrie mashes caralsdad.

What a great result. the whole set is up with the team comming up with some great ideas.

we have two little shops, a brothel, a goods entrance for the post office a MASSIVE hallwy that will open up into the octaganal (part of it) centre.

This is one of our biggest sets and most exciting.

we hope to shoot in about 3 to 4 weeks. we would really love you guys to be involved as extras, to bring a spirit of a market place and to build numbers.

This will be your last time to be involved. hope to hear from you.

Pics to come.
I'm pretty excited. Just wish Mr Cane had waited a bit to tell me. It's going to seem like forever before we get to see it.

If you're considering being an extra, don't know where they are shooting. But that would be neat to be in it, wouldn't it?! Update... I think this is an Australian production, but not positive.

Here's the main movie site, as best I can tell...
http://bellflower.sigil777.com

And at the bottom of this page, it looks like there is information about fan fiction, an audio show, etc. I'm going to have to take a look. I like the Firefly "universe" so much that I might even enjoy badly written Firefly scripts and stories!

Anyone else excited about this news?!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And there's another (but much less quality, I think) production from Canada that was scheduled for Summer '07 release, but pushed back due to a delay in the final cockpit set construction. I look forward to seeing that as well.

Here's a trailer...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QB9rrIdTbE
Advert
Old 04-26-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I never got into the show, myself. I think part of it is because at the time it started, I was hacked off about Dark Angel's being canceled with extreme prejudice. (For those who wonder, they announced the cancellation after the schedules had been set for the next season, so no one else could even pick it up, also after moving it to a Friday evening time-slot in an unsuccessful attempt to kill it that way. Apparently there was some bad blood somewhere, but I never did learn what or where. )

Anyway, I know that Firefly was very popular with a lot of folks, so I'm glad to see them get more of it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I never got into the show, myself. I think part of it is because at the time it started, I was hacked off about Dark Angel's being canceled with extreme prejudice. (For those who wonder, they announced the cancellation after the schedules had been set for the next season, so no one else could even pick it up, also after moving it to a Friday evening time-slot in an unsuccessful attempt to kill it that way. Apparently there was some bad blood somewhere, but I never did learn what or where. )

Anyway, I know that Firefly was very popular with a lot of folks, so I'm glad to see them get more of it.
Do you know what would have helped Dark Angel survive? A lead actress who could actually act.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey, now, don't dis on Max!

Actually, I agree that she's not that good an actress, but I think that it actually worked pretty well with that character.

Anyway, it was mainly the premise that I found intriguing. They had pretty good ratings, even after being moved to the Friday might "burial slot," so they must have been doing something right.
Advert
Old 04-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Here's the link for the Firefly fans audio shows...
http://sonic.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=Firefly
Seems to be 8 of them (.mp3) plus a promo.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

And here's virtual Firefly scripts for a finish to season 1 and a new season 2.
http://www.stillflying.net/?page=discs&season=1
http://www.stillflying.net/?page=discs&season=11

The "episodes" are .pdf files written like scripts.
They have finished the rest of the 22 season 1 episodes,
and 20 of the 22 season two episodes (so far).

The mission statement is
Quote:
Mission Statement

For those of you who are not familiar with our project, Still Flying is a fan-based site dedicated to a "virtual continuation" of Joss Whedon's "Firefly" in the form of scripts of additional episodes. We've rounded out Season One, completing it with seven new episodes (including a season finale based on "Serenity: Those Left Behind" from Dark Horse Comics).

Season Two is dedicated to exploring the question, "What would things have been like if Joss Whedon had been able to tell the story of Serenity in 22 episodes rather than 2 hours?" Our story will take you to most of the same places the movie does, but the path along the way will be a little different, and a lot longer.

We'll see some old friends and more than a few old enemies. We can't promise that we'll entertain you as much as Mister Whedon would have, but you should know that this project has been put together by those who care about the show, and we're taking this bird up out of love.

Like most Browncoats, we know that Whedon will return to us with another movie, book, or some other way to continue the tale he started in "Firefly." Until that time, we'll be here. We will hold the line.

We can't show you exactly how Joss Whedon would've done it, but we can tell you...

"Here's how it might have been..."
Old 04-27-2008, 12:12 AM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

And another virtual season two can be found here...
http://www.firefly-tvs.com/guide.htm

This site starts with season two (instead of trying to complete season one first). The files are both .pdf and .pdb! They are written more like stories than scripts.

This one has 12 of 21 episodes for the virtual season two available. More to come, I assume. Originally, I think they planned one every two weeks. Don't know what their schedule is now.

I haven't read or listened to any of the stuff I'm listing here, but I am grabbing it all to consume when I find leisure time. Even if the quality is not high, I think I'll enjoy it.

We would all love to hear anyone's thoughts or reviews if you've read any of it. (Or am I the only Firefly fan here silly enough to pursue it?!)
Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

You're obviously a big fan of Firefly, Bob. Shouldn't you be in bed by now? I know I should.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

I'm much more of a Firefly fan after re-watching the entire series recently, and then reading that free Firefly novel from Steven Brust! I liked it the first time I saw the series (although it took a few episodes to get into it.) But the more I see of it, the more it grows on me.

I just hope this additional material is fun also, and doesn't confuse the official story in my mind. It's such a shame that a show this wonderful gets canceled, when... well, just look at what is on TV these days, and it makes you shake your head!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Yeah I had a great time reading the Steven Brust book too : http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/book/2217

Although I loved the show, I'm not a big fan of the first movie. They rushed through the story and the character development to finish the whole thing.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote