Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 03:10 AM   #46
morellij3179
Edge User

Only one person seems to be rude and its not jcase. Thank you and keep up the awesome work.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:14 AM   #47
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellij3179 View Post
Only one person seems to be rude and its not jcase. Thank you and keep up the awesome work.

I really hope I can get my hands on an eDGe, I really am interested in it now. When/if I do, expect to see the latest versions of android ported to it.

Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #48
morellij3179
Edge User

I was one of the first to buy, I pre-ordered and was in the second shipment. The Edge now has improved so much from how it shipped but it can be so much more. Can't wait to see where it goes with everyones work.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #49
shinkamui
Edge User

Someone please quote where Justin asked for ANY money.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 AM   #50
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinkamui View Post
I don't remember doing so, but its entirely possible. It has been a stressful two weeks, so I could of and forgotten. I do have some apps in development, that I do plan to charge for once completed.

Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 04:02 AM   #51
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinkamui View Post
Indeed. It's interesting that some of the people most defensive of Entourage seem to have knowledge of things going on behind the scenes, not publicly stated in the thread.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #52
alefor
Edge User

Regarding above comment about some people having "behind the scenes" knowledge.... My guess is that there are forum participants who are Entourage employees. Not that there's anything wrong with it.... But in my opinion they should come out of the closet.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #53
walt526
Edge User

Pretty sure that's not the case.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #54
alefor
Edge User

You may well be right.... pure supposition on my part.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #55
MichaelV
Edge User

boris one of them?

Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #56
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt526 View Post
Pretty sure that's not the case.
What makes you so sure? If it's not true, then no one in the forums could be sure it's not true.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #57
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
Regarding above comment about some people having "behind the scenes" knowledge.... My guess is that there are forum participants who are Entourage employees. Not that there's anything wrong with it.... But in my opinion they should come out of the closet.
You're braver than I; I was afraid of what would happen if I came right out and said that, considering that Entourage owns and operates the forums. But in my opinion there would be something wrong with it if that's the case. Morally, not legally.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #58
Chubulor
Edge User

Oh, and the "complicated ecosystem" excuse for withholding the code, put forth by dontpanic earlier in the thread, is quite weak. If you're going to produce software partially built on GPL-licensed software and partially built on proprietary software, you have to have the source code for the former separate and available immediately upon release (aka 5 months ago). If it took that long for Entourage to untangle GPL-based source from proprietary source, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of their software development prowess.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #59
MichaelV
Edge User

I am afraid I have to agree!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #60
walt526
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
What makes you so sure? If it's not true, then no one in the forums could be sure it's not true.
Well sure, the only person that I know for a fact is *NOT* an enTourage employee is myself. But based on the tenor of the exchanges that I've had (which based on 20 years of experience having internet discussions) I'm fairly certain that all of the regular posters are unique, consistent personalities. It would be incredibly difficult for a single person to pretend to be multiple personalities. And I'm quite sure that Boris is not an eDGe employee posing as a user since he's too conspicuous (he's just a guy who likes his eDGe device and has a lot of free time on his hands). Moreover, often times the advice in the "should I buy an eDGe"-type posts is not completely positive. On the other hand, I have a hard time seeing how it would be cost-effective for some sort of viral marketing to have more than one person working on it... and in any event, most viral marketing strategies are centered around generating buzz to increase product awareness in the market. Anyone reading these forums is obviously already aware of the eDGe, so trolling the forums posing as users would have limited potential return.

I could be wrong, but the just doesn't make sense to me as a marketing strategy. If they wanted to put resources behind generating buzz for the eDGe, then they'd be getting much more bang-for-their-buck by talking up the eDGe on other forums where there is some reasonable likelihood of being read by a customer who has never heard of the eDGe.

Last edited by walt526; 08-15-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typo