Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Newbie Questions

Hi there - didn't see this stuff in the FAQ.

I just bought a Kindle 2 last week as they have just been released for Canadians. Some stuff (like web browsing) is disabled in Canada due to higher wireless costs.

I set up Calibre last night to convert newspapers and mags to Kindle format.

Am I correct in assuming that Calibre has to be always running on your PC to be pulling down and converting newspapers, etc?

If that is the case should I set it up to run on my server (running Windows Home server) rather than my Kindle?

Can I have Calibre transfer to a Kindle that is attached to another PC on my LAN rather than the PC running Calibre?

Personal Document Service, which is what it is called when you get emailed docs to your Kindle email address, is not available in Canada. I guess this means I will have to have the Kindle attached to my PC to download content? How do I stop Calibre from attempting to email docs to my Kindle account?

Are there any other issues that I should be aware of that are unique to the (semi-crippled) International version of the Kindle?
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre wont email stuff to your kindle account if you dont tell it about your kindle account.

You have to have calibre running on the computer you're connecting the kindle to

And yes it will run in the background and fetch news
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Thanks Kovid - is there a switch to turn off email updates or is the only way to do this to take out my email info.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As Kovid says it is the other way around. By default there will be no email info and so Calibre will not try and send anything to the Kindle. You have to take positive action to get anything sent via email.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote