Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #31
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Some in the comments said that all the publicity could spell the end of Apprentice Alf. Thoughts?
eP
To answer your question:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117117
Quote:
After some thought, I have decided to retire.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #32
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
Something that I don't understand, if it is supposed to be illegal, then why is there software being sold to help remove DRM?

I was doing some checking as I am seriously considering it, I bought some books online, not knowning that they were DRM'd. I thought they were DRM free, as one said epub and the others were Adobe.

Anyhow, there is software being sold, I have seen two different types offered. So, what is going to happen there? Those businesses will be shut down? Charges brought against them?

I am just getting confused about DRM and ADOBE and ADE, if you have to download ADE to install a book, doesn't that mean it is DRM'd? And isn't Calibre unable to process DRM books? So, if I have to download ADE to be able to put books on my reader (Sony 900), doesn't that mean the books are DRM books and doesn't that mean I can't use Calibre? Therefore, I have to strip the books to be able to read them, right?

I have been bouncing from thread to thread, reading all the posts trying to understand this.
And I am getting more confused than straightened out.

Last edited by JLYates; 01-20-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: clarification
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #33
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLYates View Post
I am just getting confused about DRM and ADOBE and ADE, if you have to download ADE to install a book, doesn't that mean it is DRM'd? And isn't Calibre unable to process DRM books? So, if I have to download ADE to be able to put books on my reader (Sony 900), doesn't that mean the books are DRM books and doesn't that mean I can't use Calibre? Therefore, I have to strip the books to be able to read them, right?
Calibre can add DRMed ebooks to its catalog and manage them, e.g. extract their metadata and copy them to an ebook Reader for you. What it can't do is format shift them or display them or allow you to edit them (e.g. fix typos).

Since DRM will always screw you in the end, it is best to remove it immediately. Then you can use the full range of Calibre's capabilities and will never have a problem migrating to a new ebook reader. With the plugins, stripping DRM is almost completely painless.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #34
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Something that I don't understand, if it is supposed to be illegal, then why is there software being sold to help remove DRM?

I was doing some checking as I am seriously considering it, I bought some books online, not knowning that they were DRM'd. I thought they were DRM free, as one said epub and the others were Adobe.

Anyhow, there is software being sold, I have seen two different types offered. So, what is going to happen there? Those businesses will be shut down? Charges brought against them?

I have been bouncing from thread to thread, reading all the posts trying to understand this.
And I am getting more confused than straightened out.
Yes, if you are required to open the book with ADE, that's "DRM". As explained, Calibre is of very limited use in dealing with those, in terms of editing them (adding missing cover art, for example). You do not need Calibre to actually read them.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #35
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
My brother sells drugs, even though it's illegal. Oh, he's spent some time in jail for it, but he still sells a lot more of it that he gets caught selling!

People will sell whatever they think they can sell.

And - the laws are not consistent world-wide. The sellers may be in countries that don't have DMCA laws?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #36
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
YLYates:

With tools, Calibre can help you even with drm books. You need to close your eyes and mediate on the phrase "apprentice alf blog" and a bit of googling always clears the head for meditation of this sort.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #37
JLYates
Connoisseur

okay,
so, am I right in this: The books I bought that are DRM'd; I save on my hard drive, learn how to strip them, do so and then send them to Calibre. Each book has to be stripped individually.

Do I do the .ascm (not sure I have that right) first? Or is that part of the ADE? Right now they are in my email, where they were sent to. I figure they are safe there (I hope) it has been two days since I purchased them.

I know that I have to go elsewhere rather than here to find out how to strip, but I want to make sure what I do before I start to do that, that I do it correctly, going from my email to the hard drive to wherever it is next, before I do the stripping (clear as mud?). Can that be answered here? I don't want to break any rules here concerning DRM.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #38
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
okay,
so, am I right in this: The books I bought that are DRM'd; I save on my hard drive, learn how to strip them, do so and then send them to Calibre. Each book has to be stripped individually.

Do I do the .ascm (not sure I have that right) first? Or is that part of the ADE? Right now they are in my email, where they were sent to. I figure they are safe there (I hope) it has been two days since I purchased them.

I know that I have to go elsewhere rather than here to find out how to strip, but I want to make sure what I do before I start to do that, that I do it correctly, going from my email to the hard drive to wherever it is next, before I do the stripping (clear as mud?). Can that be answered here? I don't want to break any rules here concerning DRM.
No, they do not have to be done individually - if you have more than one, you can batch them.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #39
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
As the title of the thread suggests, there are DRM removal plugins for Calibre. Once you have them installed and configured (they come with instructions) you can simply import the DRM "protected" (misnomer!) book into Calibre and the DRM will be automagically removed.

Not that I would know anything about removing DRM, of course. Nor where to find such tools to do so, of course. Google is the answer to all questions.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #40
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
The .ascm is merely a ticket (tiny pointer file, as it were) that is used with the ade reader to actually get the book. That must be done before proceeding. You need to be able to read the book on your computer.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #41
JLYates
Connoisseur

okay,

Thanks eveyone for the help. I think I understand it better now. Now off to find that special item that I need, VBG
Old 01-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #42
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I would have understood the drama more if I had known you are a lawyer. I have nothing against them, as I have two family members who are attorneys, just saying they tend to blow things up a little ... my family members, I mean.
My husband says the same thing . . . I don't get it. He is not a lawyer, and I think we are an example of opposites attracting. He always thinks everything will be alright - I always see the end of the world.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #43
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
What I do fail to understand is: When you are so concerned, why do you discuss it ad infinitum in this board now. Even if I had not known before there is something, err, let's call it legally questionable, you'd have me made more than aware with your lamenting in two different threads.

Do you really think this helps?
Cat out of the bag, horse out of the barn, . . . Where are all those smilies?

I feel bad for AA. And I think we all must accept our part in it.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I feel bad for AA. And I think we all must accept our part in it.
I think Alf must have wanted to share the tools with lots of people, otherwise why create the blog?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #45
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think Alf must have wanted to share the tools with lots of people, otherwise why create the blog?
Agreed. Everyone on this forum, and everywhere else, has been so kind with their knowledge. They have increased my enjoyment of my ereader 100times. We have discussed the morality and legality of these tools endlessly. I just feel bad that we caused AA some worry. I heart Cabbages was wonderful (he went WAY out of his way to help me in the beginning - I'm not very computer literate) and then he disappeared. In return, I have tried in my own bumbling way to provide assistance to others. I guess I am really angry at boingboing - why did they have to publicise this? If I can find MR and get help to figure this out, anyone can.

Oh well. What is done is done.