Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: September 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 15 16.48%
Killing Floor by Lee Child 20 21.98%
Boston Blackie by Jack Boyle 6 6.59%
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky 12 13.19%
Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E.W. Horning 8 8.79%
Skinwalkers by Tony Hillerman 8 8.79%
Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout 7 7.69%
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters 6 6.59%
White Seed: The Untold Story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by MR member Paul Clayton 6 6.59%
The Tin Roof Blowdown: A Dave Robicheaux Novel by James Lee Burke 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Which negates the idea of the original suggestion. If it's not free it cost money. The idea was to have alternate free/not free months. Doesn't matter if it was once free if it now costs money. Yes?
A lot of people on MR did download the free TOR eBooks when they were free. So a lot of people would have them. I have them. So I think that should count for something.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #47
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I hate it that White Seed: The Untold Story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by Paul Clayton has so far only garnered three votes. Of all the choices, I think it would engender the liveliest discussion. What happened to the Lost Colony remains to this day a subject of debate, since the only clue discovered was the word "Croatoan" carved on a tree. Paul's fictional solution is wonderful and engaging, and -- who knows -- may not be far removed from the actual history. His description of the colonist's descent into madness as their troubles increase is gripping, and their final fate was ... well, you'll just have to read the book.
I didn't vote for White Seed because I didn't think it fit the Mystery genre very well. To me, it's clearly in the Historical Fiction genre. But it sounds really interesting and a book that I'd like to read even though it's unlikely to be picked for this month's book.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #48
russellmz00
russellmz00 began at the beginning.

Device: sony pocket reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lot of people on MR did download the free TOR eBooks when they were free. So a lot of people would have them. I have them.
not me.

how did white seed compare to the terror?
russellmz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:18 AM   #49
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I think the Jack Reacher novel should "NOT" be disqualified just because the author at a later date decided to go back and write a prequal.

It's like saying you should read the Magicians Nephew before Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when in the latter there are references made to the fact that it's the first in the series. When due to later publications it is now NOT the first in the series.

Publication order trumps chronological order for a book read in my opinion
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:31 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't worrry, nobody's going to disqualify anything. If you want to nominate the 18th book in a series for our monthly read, and it gets voted for, that's fine. We don't have a rule that only the first book in a series is illigible, despite what some might wish.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #51
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Too many rules already. Let the process happen.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I remember (somewhat) seeing one of the Chester Morris movies maybe thirty years ago, and I don't remember Mary being in the picture!
I've never seen the movies, but obviously both the movies and the radio show took great liberties with the book. Mary was his wife.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I didn't vote for White Seed because I didn't think it fit the Mystery genre very well. To me, it's clearly in the Historical Fiction genre. But it sounds really interesting and a book that I'd like to read even though it's unlikely to be picked for this month's book.
BOb posted that the book can deal with any kind of mystery, not just detective fiction, and the mysterious disappearance of an entire colony of settlers and soldiers certainly fits those parameters.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=58
Old 08-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #54
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
BOb posted that the book can deal with any kind of mystery, not just detective fiction, and the mysterious disappearance of an entire colony of settlers and soldiers certainly fits those parameters.

Actually, that's Harry's post. But, I agree... a Mystery is a mystery... it doesn't have to be a whodunit. Also, Crime novels don't have to be mysteries.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #55
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I think the Jack Reacher novel should "NOT" be disqualified just because the author at a later date decided to go back and write a prequal.

It's like saying you should read the Magicians Nephew before Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when in the latter there are references made to the fact that it's the first in the series. When due to later publications it is now NOT the first in the series.

Publication order trumps chronological order for a book read in my opinion
I was joking!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #56
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Interesting that Raffles jumped off to such a commanding lead, and has since faded to fourth place.

That probably means something, but I don't know what.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #57
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Interesting that Raffles jumped off to such a commanding lead, and has since faded to fourth place.

That probably means something, but I don't know what.

It means VOTE WHITE!!!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, that's Harry's post. But, I agree... a Mystery is a mystery... it doesn't have to be a whodunit. Also, Crime novels don't have to be mysteries.

BOb
Sorry, BOb, I was thinking it was yours for some reason.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #59
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:

I didn't question why it was nominated. I only stated why I chose not to vote for it. Yes, I agree it was quite a mysterious occurrence, and I'm definitely interested in reading the book, but when I was given the chance to vote for a Mystery novel, I chose a different book.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #60
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I didn't question why it was nominated. I only stated why I chose not to vote for it. Yes, I agree it was quite a mysterious occurrence, and I'm definitely interested in reading the book, but when I was given the chance to vote for a Mystery novel, I chose a different book.
If it doesn't win, I suppose one of us could always nominate it in the next Wild Card month.