Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #16
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blusaber View Post
I started the day looking at the new kindle and found the JBL here on the forum after checking it out here and you tube vids I placed my order at JR for $99 I don't see how I can go wrong. I already have an SD card with the latest firmware ready to go
Congratulations on your purchase! I hope you'll be as pleased with your JBL as the rest of us have been. I don't see how anyone who gets past the hype of the Kindle would want to be limited to the formats it supports. Wifi isn't that great if you're limited to one source that has already proven they'll remove a book from the device after you legally purchased it.

The JBL with the latest firmware, on the other hand, allows you to purchase ebooks from almost any bookstore and read them without conversion. Being able to read library books too makes it a Kindle killer. You may not even have to install the latest firmware as Ectaco put out a press release a couple of week's ago that said they were shipping JBL with the DRM supported firmware. I suppose it all depends how long JR has had them in inventory.

Welcome to the JBL community, Gary!
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:15 AM   #17
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I agree that JBL for $99 with DRM ePub support is better than Kindle 3 for $139.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:15 AM   #18
Blusaber
Enthusiast
Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505,JBL,Sony PRS350,Nook Color,Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase! I hope you'll be as pleased with your JBL as the rest of us have been.

Welcome to the JBL community, Gary!
Thank you Number_6 (reminds me of the prisoner wasn't he #9)

I'm really looking forward to receiving it. I love using the library they add E books all the time and I can find something I enjoy every time I check

Again thank you for the nice welcome

Gary
Blusaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:01 AM   #19
maryd2303
maryd2303 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Unhappy technical DX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macminer View Post
Kindle still doesn't have many features JB has:
- easily transfer and store my own content (in formats like TXT, HTML, RTF, PDF, ePub)
- read multiple formats on one device, ie. be fairly independent from content provider
- be extremely portable, or rather "pocketable". 6" is not really "pocketable", 5" could be.
- have several bilingual dictionaries included in the price
- read content from external memory (SD card)

Having JB, I don't feel a pressing urge to buy 6" Kindle. However, I might consider buying a DX, as this format is much better for technical / academic books. But I am still waiting for the tablets / pads that Asus is going to introduce in the near future. It seems they will be much more versatile than Kindle.
I bought the DX to read pdf professional articles on as I was under the impression that I could use highlight and annotate with them. Sadly I can't.
maryd2303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #20
Number_6
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blusaber View Post
Thank you Number_6 (reminds me of the prisoner wasn't he #9)

I'm really looking forward to receiving it. I love using the library they add E books all the time and I can find something I enjoy every time I check

Again thank you for the nice welcome

Gary
"Who is number 1? You are number 6. I am not a number, I am a free man!" The Prisoner is exactly where the nick comes from.

If you don't live in Pennsylvania, you could also check ot the Free Library of Philadelphia. http://libwww.freelibrary.org/register/getcard1.cfm For $15/year you have access to their ebook library and I've often found titles there that were not available from my local library.

BCNU

Number 6
Old 07-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #21
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I think the new Kindle 3 might just make a good second reader.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #22
Number_6
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryd2303 View Post
I bought the DX to read pdf professional articles on as I was under the impression that I could use highlight and annotate with them. Sadly I can't.
I haven't found an ebook reader yet that does a good job with pdf files. A few month's back livingenzyme posted about a new tablet from Notion Ink that looks like it could be a workable alternative between an ebook reader and notebook. If they can actually deliver on the features they claim at the price they were originally aiming for it could be the one device many of us have been waiting for. A 10" screen should render pdf files nicely. http://www.notionink.in/adamfeature.php It looks promising, but they keep pushing back the release date and can only be considered vaporware at this point.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #23
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I think the Kindle 3 will be a real boon to the e-reading community.

They have up'ed the internal storage memory and it has come down considerably in price as well as size.

There is a Wifi only ($149) and a wifi + 3G for ($189). My only regret is that there is more functionality and service offered to USA clients for the same dollars.

It's just another e-reader. Where these type of devices (3G) really shine are for people who do not have any PC at home let alone Internet access.

I found the K1, K2 and the DX too expensive for an initial purchase just for an e-reader. The JB and ALP was more affordable and I am very satisfied with the display, the reading time as well as the compactness of the devices.

I don't go around empty handed - my readers are loaded with more than I could ever read in one week. I also load the devices up with news from my favorite web sources using either Mobireader or Calibre. I also like capturing Web articles and storing them in html format to read at my leisure.

Instructional emails or Forum posts are also stored on my device for quick access. I save my emails in html or txt format and transfer them over.

If I do get a Kindle 3 it will be because I like gadgets and like to explorer different formats (my budget permitting).

I have been keeping an eye out for ipad type devices that are starting to hit the market. Some are running Android type o/s's. So far I haven't been able to justify the risk and cost with unknown sources.

I have an Acer Netbook and with the addition of (free) Eeerotate software I can now use my Netbook as a reader using any of the various PC readers. The software allows the screen to be rotated to any of the four positions.
This makes reading any doc easier than in its default Landscape mode. Because the pointing software acts strangely with the screen rotated, I usually set-up the reader and ebook when the screen is in normal mode. I then rotate either 90 or 270 degrees and use the arrow keys & pg up/pg dn keys to process the book.

My netbook did not have the screen rotate function built in as some do.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 08-03-2010 at 10:09 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #24
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
I haven't found an ebook reader yet that does a good job with pdf files. A few month's back livingenzyme posted about a new tablet from Notion Ink that looks like it could be a workable alternative between an ebook reader and notebook. If they can actually deliver on the features they claim at the price they were originally aiming for it could be the one device many of us have been waiting for. A 10" screen should render pdf files nicely. http://www.notionink.in/adamfeature.php It looks promising, but they keep pushing back the release date and can only be considered vaporware at this point.
Actually, I'm looking at the asus eee pad right now. It will have a duo processor and runs on windows 7... and it's the size of an ipad. They're planning to hit the market with it next year, though.

http://gizmodo.com/5551594/asus-eee-...running-tablet

http://www.engadget.com/photos/asus-...-2010/#3026811

Last edited by jblitereader; 08-03-2010 at 10:55 PM.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #25
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I love my JB....but I've preordered the new Kindle for one reason.. Being over 50 years of age, I find the JB hard to read in the evening and want a reader with a whiter background and more contast. I picked the new coming Kindle because it will have faster page turns, better contrast and longer battery life than the others and is smaller and lighter and Iove the size of the JB. Basically, it seems more like the JB than the others and I love the smaller size and find the 5" screen perfect for me. I'll keep my JB in my handbag to read from work and will use the Kindle3 at home in the evenings. The Nook does come in 3G also, but I use my computer and cable and see no reason to change.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #26
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
I love my JB....but I've preordered the new Kindle for one reason.. Being over 50 years of age, I find the JB hard to read in the evening and want a reader with a whiter background and more contast. I picked the new coming Kindle because it will have faster page turns, better contrast and longer battery life than the others and is smaller and lighter and Iove the size of the JB. Basically, it seems more like the JB than the others and I love the smaller size and find the 5" screen perfect for me. I'll keep my JB in my handbag to read from work and will use the Kindle3 at home in the evenings. The Nook does come in 3G also, but I use my computer and cable and see no reason to change.
It will be interesting to compare JB and Kindle3 screen.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #27
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Originally Posted by Number_6

I thought my Jetbook with the newer 35a software handles them amazingly well. The entire page fits in the screen and font size can be adjusted and page size stays the same. This is true on all pdf's I've loaded in. My daughter's Kindle 2 can't do this and the Nook can't do it, but JB handles them as if they were text. I don't know of the others. It's made a PDF as nice or actually better than rtf or epub.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #28
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I agree that JBL for $99 with DRM ePub support is better than Kindle 3 for $139.
I was seriously looking a JB again (not the lite), but with the announcement of the Kindle I can buy a Kindle wifi, cover, power adapter and have it shipped to Australia cheaper than I can buy a Jetbook. Ok I do have some file format restrictions but my ebooks are generally DRM-free so Calibre takes care of conversion for me (or Baen has a link for mobi format). I was really (and still am) really intrigued by a reflective-LCD ereader, but unfortunately the price is making it rather difficult to justify.

But a JBL for $99US and have it for $140AUS would be attractive to me.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jetbook, kindle