Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
tabbycat
tabbycat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Is this normal??

Hello Everyone!

I just received my new Sony Reader PRS-505. I'm loving it, but wonder if it's normal to have a slight amount of glare on the screen? I can even see my own reflection in the screen at times and also see just regular glare at times as well. This happened today when I was reading in daylight whereas I didn't notice anything when reading last night.

Just wanted to make sure this is normal....

Thanks!
tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi tabbycat and welcome to MobileRead. Glare is normal on the 505. You have to angle the reader to minimize it in the sun. I don't find it to be much of a problem most the time.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Yes there is a glare, like cassidym said it's usually only a problem in certain lights. Just reangle it. Or you can get smudges all over it
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
One forum member has been known to place her reader inside a baseball cap when reading in strong sunlight.

I've never needed to try this because I live in the UK.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
One forum member has been known to place her reader inside a baseball cap when reading in strong sunlight.

Sorry, it's sad but funny
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:

(That was so straight-faced funny.)
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
But why are you laughing? It worked so well! The ball cap has its own glare shade (the hat brim). The sun is very very strong down here, you know. This was while I was still using the EBW1150 with the LCD screen that was unreadable in heat or sun. BTW, I also kept it in the cooler while I was at the beach, just sitting up on a stack of snacks so it wasn't in the meltwater. BTW, be sure to seal your devices in Ziploc bags if you take them swimming with you. Better safe than filled with sand and seawater.

Tabbycat, are you using a lighted cover? Or any sort of clear plastic screen protector? I ask because that makes a horrible glare on my 505 when I'm out in the sunshine. Otherwise, I've not had any glare problems. Are you having any problems with the text fading in direct sunshine. Several posts recently have mentioned this also.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Particia, that's not so. I lived in the UK (Beds) back in the mid 70's and I distinctly remember it being very sunny. I seem to recall it was on a Tuesday.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:

Patricia, are you saying you don't have ball caps in the UK?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear

Frames titled: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
Bubble: That's Piter* for you, baby.

*informal nickname for Saint Petersburg.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Quote:
Permanent squint solves the problem here! Sunbeams everywhere most of the time. No bloody rain though!!
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post

Sorry, it's sad but funny
Bill Bailey - specifically around the 0:40 - 1:00 section!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I prefer reading in bright sunlight, haven't noticed a glare, but maybe what I think is "bright" is not really. VOG cover is a daily thing for us....

AHA! I realized yesterday why I don't get glare-- I read with sunglasses when I'm outside in the sunlight. Makes for an excellent reading experience!

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 03-29-2009 at 06:50 PM.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Particia, that's not so. I lived in the UK (Beds) back in the mid 70's and I distinctly remember it being very sunny. I seem to recall it was on a Tuesday.
I think they have erected a blue plaque at the very spot:

"Here the sun shone once"
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote