Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
renareto
renareto began at the beginning.

Device: none
.pdf to .mobi

Hi, I think this was already threated, but I 'm not able to understund the best way.

Can someone show me a tool chain to convert pdf to mobi format?
I already tried with calibre (PDF-->ePUB-->MOBI), but I didn't find it a god things.

some new issue?

TIA

Renato
renareto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Mobipocket creator does the best conversion I've seen, but it is still not perfect. I go MP-Creator -- PDF to PRC, PRC to RTF in Calibre, open the RTF in Word and fix the bits that need fixing, then RTF to (final format) in Calibre.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
renareto
renareto began at the beginning.

Device: none
But I use Linux (Debian). Is there mobipocket for linux? I've found just MP reader. How can I made the conversion in linux?

TIA

Renato
renareto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Use calibre, and if you don't like the quality of the result, post a Ticket at the Calibre bug tracker explaining what you think it did poorly, and explain how you think it could have done better. Then there's a chance a calibre dev would improve the next version of the software. That's how Open Source works, as you should know as a Debian user.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by renareto View Post
But I use Linux (Debian). Is there mobipocket for linux? I've found just MP reader. How can I made the conversion in linux?

TIA

Renato
In the Windows version of the reader you can add a PDF and it will convert it automatically, allbeit without being able to set any preferences.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Be warned, though, that PDF is not an eBook format, and PDF files will rarely convert cleanly to other formats. You'll generally have to do manual editing on the resulting file to get a good result.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Be warned, though, that PDF is not an eBook format,
Except that it is... the best one, in fact.

But Harry is still right. If a PDF file wasn't designed from the beginning to be an ebook, then you can only expect so much from conversion, since PDF was designed as an output format, not an input format.

If a PDF was designed to be an ebook, then there should be no need to convert.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote