Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #76
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
Amazon advertises the Kindle Paperwhite as:

"8-week battery life, even with the light on".

8 weeks are 2 months!

So, how can some people report just some hours of battery life?

Note: my kindle is the Touch; paperwhite will arrive (I hope) at the end of february.
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #77
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Battery life will vary according to how much you read, whether or not you have it set to refresh every page, how often and how many books it has to index, light levels, whether wi-fi is on or off, etc.
I'm sure Amazon uses a standard value for each of these. Not so much for real life use but to compare different models. I think they use 30 minutes a day reading as their standard.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #78
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Amazon states 8 weeks, when reading half an hour per day with the light on 10 and all data connections off.

If you read 2 hours per day, battery life drops to 2 weeks (25-30 hours). Should you set the light higher than 10, battery life will become shorter still. Some people also leave wifi (and 3g) on for syncing.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-02-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #79
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Agree.

But 2 months are (roughly) 1440 hours! With WiFi off, light off and an average daily reading time of 6 hours, it should last more than 10 or 12 hours, certainly.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #80
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No man.... You can't count it that way Two months are 60 days, reading half an hour per day. So they expect the Kindle to last 30 hours in active use, light on 10, no data connections, and IIRC, refresh on 6 pages. The numbers of hours the Kindle lasts will not be less when you read more, they'll just be used up earlier.

They will be less if you turn the light up to 24, engage all data connections and set the refresh rate to one page. You might actually drop to 15 hours or less, I think. With the light off, wifi off and refreshing each 6 pages, you should easily hit the stated 30 hours of usage, probably more.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-02-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #81
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Right now I use my PW with WiFi on only when reading to sync with my KFHD7-32. I use light level 22 of 24 and read about 30 to 60 minutes per day.

I get 11 days to the 15% warning screen.

Reading times for many folks here seem to vary from 3 days to 30 days. Our reading habits definitely determine the reading time. They are all over the map.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #82
zamana
Zealot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
No man.... You can't count it that way Two months are 60 days, reading half an hour per day. So they expect the Kindle to last 30 hours in active use, light on 10, no data connections, and IIRC, refresh on 6 pages. The numbers of hours the Kindle lasts will not be less when you read more, they'll just be used up earlier.

They will be less if you turn the light up to 24, engage all data connections and set the refresh rate to one page. You might actually drop to 15 hours or less, I think. With the light off, wifi off and refreshing each 6 pages, you should easily hit the stated 30 hours of usage, probably more.
Haha! You made me feel like a fool :-)

Anyway I was counting not only the reading time, but the OFF time, or at least the time while the device is sleeping.

Many people (me included) has this understanding about the "8 weeks". In some countries this can lead to prosecution due to "fake propaganda".

But thanks for the explanation.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #83
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I get roughly a week. Certainly nowhere near 8 weeks, even with Wi-Fi off and lighting at around 10 most of the time. I must be reading for approximately two and a half hours per day.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #84
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamana View Post
Haha! You made me feel like a fool :-)

Anyway I was counting not only the reading time, but the OFF time, or at least the time while the device is sleeping.

Many people (me included) has this understanding about the "8 weeks". In some countries this can lead to prosecution due to "fake propaganda".

But thanks for the explanation.
In my honest opinion, it's a dumb way of stating battery life by Amazon. If they'd used 15 minutes reading a day, it'd be four months, and 12 months when reading 5 minutes a day. It can be confusing.

They should have just made a small table, using hours, not days, for light level 0, 12 and 24, with an indication of how much hours you'd lose when turning on wfi and 3g.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-03-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #85
lizard king
lizard king began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
i just got chat with someone from amazon.co.uk and he sugest to discharging battery completly and after that put on charging...after so many opinions i don't know what to doing
(Sorry for my english)
lizard king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #86
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard king View Post
i just got chat with someone from amazon.co.uk and he sugest to discharging battery completly and after that put on charging...after so many opinions i don't know what to doing
(Sorry for my english)
After purchase it pays to let the battery go to zero (icon screen showing lightning bolts) to calibrate the meter and to get all the chemicals in the Lithium battery working up to par. Then do an overnight charge and you are good to go.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #87
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
In the beginning I also uploaded a lot of books, heck, even a new OS.
But every time you connect it to the laptop, it's like connecting it to a power adapter and charging the internal battery. I have it for over 8 weeks now, and only charged it once.
It was charged within 10 minutes of charging (meaning the battery wasn't even 25% depleted).
I read with screenlight mostly off (1 to 2), and in airplane mode nearly all the time.
The browser also uses a lot of CPU cycles, as well as loading the ads.
Also, reading PDF consumes more battery than MOBI, or the kindle's native format.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #88
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I keep trying to deplete my battery, so I can charge it from a low battery state, but I've connected it and disconnected it to/from my computer so many times, that the little micro-charges are adding up!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #89
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
My reading habits are the worst for e-readers. I get multiple subscriptions - two daily newspapers - so I leave 3g on all the time.
I read with the light at about 14.
And, reading newspapers, I browse articles a lot, which hurts battery life.
Long story short, I have to recharge my PW every other day.
I understand how Amazon computes battery life, but the claims are nevertheless BS, and certainly misleading.

Anyhow, battery life on my iPad mini is very similar. Compare the advertising. Apple says 10 hours. Amazon says 8 weeks. But, somehow, they are the same. Or almost. 12 hours vs. 10 hours.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I understand how Amazon computes battery life, but the claims are nevertheless BS, and certainly misleading.
Depends on your reading habits. They're pretty much spot on for me. I leave WiFi turned off, have the light on fairly low (normally level 10), and easily get Amazon's claimed 28h of reading time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote