Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Peridot
Peridot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Has anyone got a step by Step guide on converting LIT to LRF?

Hi I am a owner of a new sony reader in the uk. I've been downloading the adobe pdf books which i am able to read fine but have difficulties with the font sizes. It seems to be the general advice is to download the LIT version from places like fictionwise and books on board and then convert it. Has anyone got a step by step guide on how to do this. I am not very technical on the computer but i just wanted to see if it works and if it's easy enough i will do this in future rather than getting the adobe PDF books.

All help and advice is much appreciated.
Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Peridot, the answer is a definite yes. First go to http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

Have a nose around, and then download Calibre. I appreciate that you will want to get up and running quickly. Calibre does the job quietly, without any fuss.

Have a go at it, and if you get into bother read the manual at http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_manual/
and particularly the FAQ at: http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_manual/faq.html#faq

There is a massive thread on the topic of lit to lrf here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11618

The chances are you will be able to get going without too much reading of the above: I think the User Manual and the FAQ will have you converting to beat the band. If not the Calibre thread above has all the questions ever asked, plus a few more.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi Peridot,

The resources that kesey provided to you will be very helpful, I think.

However, I still found it to be a bit of a challenge, despite all the help I got via old threads and members of this board. Once you've done it successfully once, it's easy and works as smooth as silk.

If you run into problems, don't hesitate to PM me, I'd be glad to help you out!
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Here's a simple, abbreviated, and (from my memory) maybe not exactly accurate step-by-step:

1) Download and install Calibre, and run the program

2) Drag the .lit file into Calibre's window. Click once on it to highlight it.

3) Make sure the author and book title are OK. (They usually are with .lit files.) If not, click on the "Edit metadata" button on top of the Calibre window and edit, then save.

4) Click the "Convert" button near the top right. Usually the default options give you good, readable ebooks when converted. If not, you can e-convert and tweak things later.

5) After the hourglass in the bottom right corner stops, click on the right side of the "Save book" button on top, and select "save lrf only" in the drop-down menu.

6) Pick a place to save your lrf file, then open it in the Sony sw to see how it looks or load it directly onto your Reader.

That's it! (I don't use Calibre to manage my library, which is why I separately save the lrf file in steps 5&6.)

If the .lit has DRM, use the Convert Lit (CLit) utility, described elsewhere on these forums. There's a small GUI program for CLit as well.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
CaptainIncognito
CaptainIncognito began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Hi Peridot

Welcome to the forums!

One last thing to add to the excellent directions given is that you can also use calibre to convert your pdfs so you can change the text size which is mighty handy!

A
CaptainIncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
If the .lit has DRM, use the Convert Lit (CLit) utility, described elsewhere on these forums. There's a small GUI program for CLit as well.
If you don't want to use a command line app, then ConvertLIT GUI does a perfectly good job of "downconverting" lit files...
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Forget the GUI. Not worth it. It's good to learn to use the command line. All the other DRM removers are command line only. So it will help. That said, find the site for ConvertLIT, read the readme file that comes with it on how to set it up. Once done, use ConvertLIT to remove the DRM.

Now you have multiple choices as to what to do withthe DRM free LIT. You can use Book Designer to load it and edit it. Or you can use Calibre to convert. Calibre's lit2lrf is actually easier to use. Now if you want to explode the LIT into it's component parts, use lit2oeb from Calibre as there are bugs in ConvertLIT's exploding. They are minor and most of the time it won't affect you, but lit2oeb overcomes these bugs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now if you want to explode the LIT into it's component parts, use lit2oeb from Calibre as there are bugs in ConvertLIT's exploding. They are minor and most of the time it won't affect you, but lit2oeb overcomes these bugs.
Really? Could you give us an example of these bugs? I explode LIT files with Clit all the time (for editing in BD), but I didn't know it was bug-ridden. If I found a formatting problem in the resultant file, I always assumed it was in the source LIT file.

I would appreciate it if you could list a few of these bugs.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Really? Could you give us an example of these bugs? I explode LIT files with Clit all the time (for editing in BD), but I didn't know it was bug-ridden. If I found a formatting problem in the resultant file, I always assumed it was in the source LIT file.

Supposedly there are occasions where some letters are separated where they should not be. And one bug I have encountered is a failure to explode malformed LIT files. Lit2oeb does work in these cases where ConvertLIT fails and when ConverLIT fails, you cannot convert that LIT file.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Supposedly there are occasions where some letters are separated where they should not be. And one bug I have encountered is a failure to explode malformed LIT files. Lit2oeb does work in these cases where ConvertLIT fails and when ConverLIT fails, you cannot convert that LIT file.
That's a problem I had/still have with one of the two Star Trek:COE books(Signs From Heaven by Phaedra M. Weldon)that I had to strip and convert. It also has an unusual change of text size where each chapter starts out like this for the first paragraph and then changes to this for the rest of the chapter. That was with the downconvert option from convertlit. I can live with the letter separation easier than the shrinking text size. The explode version didn't do that but it came through without a table of contents, chapter headings off to the left side and no cover. Maybe I should try Book Designer.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:27 AM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post

One problem I have noticed is that it inserts a space after an italic word and before a period. Thus "spaceship." becomes "spaceship ."
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Forget the GUI. Not worth it. It's good to learn to use the command line. All the other DRM removers are command line only.
You keep saying that, so I'm wondering if this is just an extreme view-point, or if you're talking about the "LitConverter.exe" GUI rather than the "ConvertLIT GUI\ConvertLIT.exe"? It seems to me that the latter does a worthwhile job, especially considering that it can integrate with the Windows Explorer-UI. I do happen to know my way around a command-line, but it seems to me that it's worth it and would be even more so for people who weren't familiar with a CLI.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Gwyn,

I was using command line systems before Windows was a gleam in Uncle Bill's eye, but still I find the ConvertLIT GUI to be a lot more convenient to use than the command line. I'm with you, mate!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I've been using command line for a long long time also...going back to my lovely Sirius. I used to love quick and dirty ways of getting things done. Now however, good GUI beats command line 99% of the time as far as I am concerned. This may have to do with the fact that age is playing dingbats with my memory of individual command line functions.

Getting back to the original posters request, I recommend that he tries the GUI version of Calibre. If things are not working out, I would be happy to converse via pm until they get sorted.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
You keep saying that, so I'm wondering if this is just an extreme view-point, or if you're talking about the "LitConverter.exe" GUI rather than the "ConvertLIT GUI\ConvertLIT.exe"? It seems to me that the latter does a worthwhile job, especially considering that it can integrate with the Windows Explorer-UI. I do happen to know my way around a command-line, but it seems to me that it's worth it and would be even more so for people who weren't familiar with a CLI.
The reason is to help people learn to use the command line. They other tools for stripping DRM do not have a GUI. So if you can learn to use ConvertLIT via the command line, you might be ok with the others should you have them and use them. The problem we have today is that the GIU (Windows, Linux, OS X) has not helped learn how to use a command line. And sometimes a command line is actually easier to use as in the case of ConvertLIT. I find it easier to use from a command line then the GUI.