Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
gyuen
gyuen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony e505
Future of Kobo Desktop

Hello,

I'm curious where Kobo Desktop will go. I used an older Sony Reader for a while, never too fond of its desktop, and then moved to iBooks for a while. That is ok for reading PDFs but I realized that I never found the LCD too comfortable for reading so I moved back to the Sony. I think it's time for an upgrade, especially with a new Kobo and Nook on the horizon. I've tried both their desktop offerings and find Nook (for Mac) much closer to what I'd like. Easy adding of ePubs to the desktop, syncing of books, highlights, and such on all devices, and a desktop with a fairly decent interface for reading, search, displaying toc, .... Nook seems ok. I'd prefer Kobo, perhaps mainly for its design and possibly the UI of the Reader. But the desktop. Perhaps the silence is a sign of work for a large upgrade.

Gary
gyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
We think it's time for an upgrade too

Can't say any more than that right now I'm afraid, but stay tuned
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Where's Reading Life for us peeps with PCs but no iPhone, is what I want to know.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I want to see android version updated so I can have full text justification like the iPhone version.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
gyuen
gyuen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony e505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
We think it's time for an upgrade too

Can't say any more than that right now I'm afraid, but stay tuned
cool. your first sentence was enough of a give away. sounds great.
gyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:
Easy adding of ePubs to the desktop[...]
What do you mean by that? I have the mac version and I can't drag & drop epub files in the application, can you?
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
I have the mac version and I can't drag & drop epub files in the application, can you?
Here is where confusion can exist.

The original poster was, from what I can decipher, pointing out that the Nook desktop application allows dragging and dropping of epub files to it while the Kobo desktop application does not.

From your question I can see two possibilities:
  1. you have the Nook desktop and can't drag and drop
  2. you have the Kobo desktop and can't drag and drop

I am going to guess the second option and affirm that the Kobo desktop application does not allow dragging and dropping of epub files to it as it is merely an interface between the Kobo online store and the reader. It does not show epubs on the Kobo that have been added via Adobe Digital Editions (ADE), Calibre or the Finder/Windows Explorer.

I can not confirm whether or not the Nook desktop application accepts dragged and dropped epubs as I do not have a Nook
Old 06-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
That makes sense.
I was indeed more comfortable with the nook software as you can drag & drop and create shelves. This is a huge plus even if we are far behind calibre
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote