Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
[2.1.5] bug: annotations not saved

empty kobo, updated to 2.1.5 before add books with calibre

i added 3 annotations, all ok... now... if i add a 4th annotation kobo says saved but when i open annotations list the text isn't here (bookmark is here anyway)... tryed with another book, same result
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I just created four annotation with no problems. I have had a lot more in the past.

The is a known problem with making changes to bookmarks/annotations from the annotations list. If you change something (edit the note, add not to a bookmark, delete a note or bookmark) and press the x at the top right to exit the list, every thing is saved. But, if you leave by selecting "Show on page" for one of the bookmarks, then the changes aren't saved. Is this what you did? If not, how did you do it? That way someone can reproduce it. And it can be reported to Kobo to fix.

Edit: Forgot to ask if this was an epub or kepub. The above is with epubs. I haven't tried this with a kepub.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-24-2012 at 06:55 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I'm having a problem with the highlighter. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I mark the text, then highlight it, but sometimes the text doesn't get the highlighter markings on screen -- and no annotation is saved. Driving me batty.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Driving me batty.
We can't have this.... We WANT more books to be written by you!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
We can't have this.... We WANT more books to be written by you!
Don't artists need angst to create? Maybe it's a plot by Kobo to drive up his output!
Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
HEH, Heh, heh... What's next, an Angst Plug-in for Calibre? It works so well that an Angst Plug-in may just be required.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I'm having a problem with the highlighter. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I mark the text, then highlight it, but sometimes the text doesn't get the highlighter markings on screen -- and no annotation is saved. Driving me batty.

I have noticed this too.
Another problem I experienced was that I was unable to delete highlighted text.
Sure, I could delete the highlighted entries but after closing and reopening the highlight/annotations tab all previous deleted entries reappeared.
This problem doesn't show up every time but occasionally and quite suddenly youre not able to delete the highlights anymore.
This happend on all firmwares from 1.9.17 and up.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I have noticed this too.
Another problem I experienced was that I was unable to delete highlighted text.
Sure, I could delete the highlighted entries but after closing and reopening the highlight/annotations tab all previous deleted entries reappeared.
This problem doesn't show up every time but occasionally and quite suddenly youre not able to delete the highlights anymore.
This happend on all firmwares from 1.9.17 and up.
As this is happening from the annotations, list, are you sure it doesn't follow the pattern I described above? Though I don't remember it happening with 1.9.17.

Next time it happens, try deleting the highlight/annotation without going to the annotations list. To do this, press on the highlight until it is selected and the annotations/dictionary bar is displayed. Then press the pencil icon and you can edit or delete the highlight or annotation from there. That might work when the other method fails.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I just created four annotation with no problems. I have had a lot more in the past.

The is a known problem with making changes to bookmarks/annotations from the annotations list. If you change something (edit the note, add not to a bookmark, delete a note or bookmark) and press the x at the top right to exit the list, every thing is saved. But, if you leave by selecting "Show on page" for one of the bookmarks, then the changes aren't saved. Is this what you did? If not, how did you do it? That way someone can reproduce it. And it can be reported to Kobo to fix.

Edit: Forgot to ask if this was an epub or kepub. The above is with epubs. I haven't tried this with a kepub.
i don't remenber what i did the first time because i noticed the bug?! few days later... anyway, after few tests i can reproduce the problem this way

turn off kobo
turn on
open a book (pdf or epub no difference)
add a bookmark and then add a note to the bookmark
go back to reading (edit: i click the X to exit from bookmarks/notes list)
open bookmarks list, all is ok, notes are here
click kobo button and go to homepage
reopen the book you were reading
now notes are gone, only the first 3 notes added remains (edit: the 3 notes probably where added before firmware upgrade)

if nobody else is having this problem i could make a reset and try again

(if it could be important my kobo is set to italian)

Last edited by _pietro; 10-25-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
_pietro
Connoisseur

i just resetted the kobo to factory settings (firmware 1.9.x), then updated the firmware to 2.1.5... i can confirm the bug, the notes go lost when you close the book and reopen it
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pietro View Post
i don't remenber what i did the first time because i noticed the bug?! few days later... anyway, after few tests i can reproduce the problem this way

turn off kobo
turn on
open a book (pdf or epub no difference)
add a bookmark and then add a note to the bookmark
go back to reading (edit: i click the X to exit from bookmarks/notes list)
open bookmarks list, all is ok, notes are here
click kobo button and go to homepage
reopen the book you were reading
now notes are gone, only the first 3 notes added remains (edit: the 3 notes probably where added before firmware upgrade)
I have seen that problem. The workaround is to always close the annotations list by pressing the x in the top right corner. Any other way of leaving it will mean you lose the changes you made.

Kobo do know about the problem but I have no idea of the priority in fixing it.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
_pietro
Connoisseur

i press the X but doesn't work, they are saved just the time you're still reading the book... if you go to homepage and reopen the same book the notes disappear
Old 10-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pietro View Post
i press the X but doesn't work, they are saved just the time you're still reading the book... if you go to homepage and reopen the same book the notes disappear
OK, that isn't the case here.

The bookmark and annotations are stored in two places: in the internal database and in a file under "Digital Editions\Annotations". The surprising thing, to me anyway, is that the file is the primary source. If you fiddle with that file somehow, then the annotations change. I have deleted the file to remove them all, and also copied the file, did a factory reset and put the file back afterwards to restore the annotations.

So, I am wondering if something is preventing the updating of this file on your device. File system corruption could be it. But, if you connect to a Windows PC, it will check this and prompt you if to do a scandisk to fix it. I don't know if a Mac or Linux will do this. Something causing the file to become readonly would also do this. Another possibility is file path length being to long (I seem to be stuck on this today), but that should prevent the annotations file being created in the first place.

Checking back through the thread, you mention this is happening for a book that had annotations before the firmware upgrade. Does it happen for a book you have put on the device since?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
OK, that isn't the case here.

The bookmark and annotations are stored in two places: in the internal database and in a file under "Digital Editions\Annotations". The surprising thing, to me anyway, is that the file is the primary source. If you fiddle with that file somehow, then the annotations change. I have deleted the file to remove them all, and also copied the file, did a factory reset and put the file back afterwards to restore the annotations.

So, I am wondering if something is preventing the updating of this file on your device. File system corruption could be it.
It looks like the annotation handling is undergoing a transition from being database based to being file based. If this is the case, then it's possible that the Kobo people haven't quite finished the transition in the code. The database is being written to wherever it was previously, the internal list may be being maintained in the previous manner, but the file may only be being written to in certain circumstances. Then the annotations are being loaded from the file and not the database.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #15
_pietro
Connoisseur

i tried to add a bookmark and a note... i checked into the database and file .annot as you said... they are updated and contains the bookmark but the note isn't here... are you using 2.1.5 firmware?! it can't be only my kobo