Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Touch edition being released

Hi

It looks like the cat is out of the bag. A twitter update shows the booth being setup with a sign introducing a touch edition.

Link to tweet https://twitter.com/kobo_live/status/72668258196656128

Link to pic http://yfrog.com/h3n9jvnj

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/23/d...on-we-go-hands

Tim

Last edited by timlegge; 05-23-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Add links
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
they kept the quilted back, and added a pearl screen. and they say it is fast? nice.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Nice..depending on the price point I may just upgrade from my version 1.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
They say the price is supposed to be 129.
Nice!!! Should sell very well!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
oh wow - i just watched engadget's video. it is fast.

and it looks to be about the same size as the PDNp i just gave my sister. so ... maybe a compatible case soonish? with the original kobo and the wifi fitting in k3 cases perfectly, there are a lot of choices out there.

but, the wife is perfectly happy with her kobo, and i have the nook for now. so unless one of them breaks, i probably wont be jumping on this one. that is a killer price point though. exactly what i paid for the kobo back at the end of December.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
luckily i have people wanting to take over my wifi, so hellloooo touch !! parents get to play with the wifi
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I haven't found a pre-order page for Canadian buyers. I was looking for a complete list of feature changes. We know it is touch, pearl, and faster--I want to know if the WiFi connection process has been streamlined, if the dictionary is improved (for example plurals), and I'd sure like an improved go-to for chapters.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Wow, schweet design. That PDF scrolling is amazing, and no annoying glossy touch surface like the Sony units. Looks like Kobo's brought their A game to the show...
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
OK, it's really nice, but please, stop talking about the annoying Sony surface. That is gone since the release of the x50 models. Sony had the IR touch first!

Doesn't take anything away from this Kobo though!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
mousy courage
mousy courage began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (non-wifi)
I'm not a fan of touch screens so while this looks nice I'm not tempted to get one. The pearl screen is the only thing that I kind of want, tho.
mousy courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I have tried looking through the FCC database but so far, not able to find this device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
http://news.cnet.com/kobo-unveils-wi...tml?tag=inside
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Nice cnet video ... much more complete than the engadget one. Thanks!

The software seems well thought out and responsive ... I'm in no hurry to switch to touch screen (I really like the page turn buttons on a Kindle 3, and cope very well with the Kobo 5-way button) ... but I think I would adjust easily.

This appears to be the identical touch technology Sony has in the PRS-650 which sells for $249 in Canada. It's no surprise Sony has been rethinking its e-reader strategy and inventory -- the only model actually available in Canada is the PRS-350 -- touch screen 5" pearl for $199. Unless Sony changes course, Kobo is going to eat their lunch.

As the world shifts toward more colour e-readers -- it seems the next Kindle will qualify and be available this fall -- Kobo remains competitive among the b&w hard core readers here the pearl e-ink screen is king. (I also notice in the video that Georgia font is a choice -- the same as the Kindle I believe -- and an easier to read font than Times Roman. Just an other example of Kobo designers continuing to tweak every aspect of the design.)
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The feature I like best (without having one to try yet) is that there is no longer an I'm Reading list. Instead, one marks a book as a favorite (of sorts) and then can generate a list of those alone. I'm guessing that the whole sync bit will be much improved as a result. I am also looking forward to having Reading Life on the reader--though that would seem to mean keeping WiFi on, which would take a bit git out of battery life. Of course they may have some other way of doing it.

PS: I am a bit annoyed that it costs $139 in Canada. I still ordered one--figure that I can sell the WiFi or send it to a family member.

Last edited by taming; 05-23-2011 at 01:33 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
OK, it's really nice, but please, stop talking about the annoying Sony surface. That is gone since the release of the x50 models. Sony had the IR touch first!
Noted. Thanks.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote