Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #181
ryran
Connoisseur
ryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
From the very first post:
Quote:
Attached:
lpad-pkg-xxx.zip contains launchpad update packages
launchpad.tar.gz contains the source tree
In other words, if you don't know what to do with the tar.gz file, then you don't need it.
ryran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #182
dansemacabre
dansemacabre began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I've tried everything to get this to work and I still don't understand why I can not use the short cuts.

Jailbroken, installed Launchpad properly, and i'm pressing the keys in a sequence and fairly quickly (as opposed to pressing them at the same time.

To install I added the correct bin file (K3 W) and copied the launchpad source tree to the root directory of my kindle.

When I enter, for instance, Shift followed by Shift followed by R does not reboot the Kindle. Can some one clue me in here?

I'm running the K3WIFI with the jailbreak provided by yifanlu v3.1.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dansemacabre; 10-11-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Fixed
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #183
dansemacabre
dansemacabre began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Nevermind. Jailbreak wasn't installed correctly. My bad.
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #184
micione20
Enthusiast
micione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: kobo
how can i uninstall launchpad? in first topic it isn't written...

just only deleting folder?

thanks alot
micione20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #185
jaxsnop
Enthusiast
jaxsnop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
If you want to turn you Kindle into a dictaphone, just unzip and copy this file to your launchpad folder.
A S command (= Shift,A,S sequence) then starts a new recording, A E command stops it.
The recordings are stored in [USER STORE]/records by default, you can change it by editing RECDIR variable in the ini file.
E.g. changing to "music" will give you an option to play the records with MPlayer.
Generated filenames contain date, time and .wav extension:
2011-02-28_09-32-06.wav

Always make sure to stop the recording or you will run out of space after some time.
I didn't understand the exchange of words from RCDIR to MUSIC.

I edited my ini file and I wrote it:

[Actions]
A S = !MUSIC=records; [ -d "/mnt/us/$MUSIC" ] || mkdir -p "/mnt/us/$MUSIC"; arecord -qN /mnt/us/$MUSIC/$(date +'%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S').wav &
A E = !pkill -f arecord

But trying to initialize the dictaphone with launchpad, the message which must be "success" shows "failure". And I think the problem must be in my changes in record.ini file.

Pls help.
jaxsnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #186
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
jaxsnop,
RECDIR is a Bash variable, in your ini file you've just changed its name.
You need to change its value, i.e. "records" to something else:

Code:
[Actions]
A S = !RECDIR=music; [ -d "/mnt/us/$RECDIR" ] || mkdir -p "/mnt/us/$RECDIR"; arecord -qN /mnt/us/$RECDIR/$(date +'%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S').wav &
A E = !pkill -f arecord
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #187
z0mtec
z0mtec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 2
Hi,

i have make a ini

Code:
[Actions]
Y = #'Del' ';' "debug" 'Shift' "O" "n" 'Enter' 'Del' '~' "usb" 'Shift' "N" "etwork" 'Enter' 'Del' ';' "debug" 'Shift' "O" "ff" 'Enter'
And than the Kindle tap

;debugOn
}usbNetwortk
;debugOff

Why a } and not a ~
Attached Files
File Type: rar usbnetwork.rar (176 Bytes, 284 views)

Last edited by z0mtec; 11-06-2011 at 01:53 PM.
z0mtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #188
z0mtec
z0mtec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 2
How can i start usbNetwork with Launchpad?
z0mtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #189
ryran
Connoisseur
ryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with others

Put this in one of your launchpad ini files:
Shift N = !/test/bin/usbnetwork

(That would require you to press shift shift n in order to toggle usbnetwork on/off. Change it to suit yourself.)
Old 11-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #190
alban
Enthusiast
alban began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi
K3GB 3.3
When I install LP and key in commands, after it has updated and shown the Home screen, they work.
When I restart the Kindle e.g. to load Duokan or after putting a custom .ini file in the LP directory then everything runs v slowly and the key sequences don't work to bring up anything. It's restored to normal by uninstalling LP not just the custom .ini.
JB (latest) is installed and Freedownload too. These work. LP works at first but then stops after a restart. Any ideas?
Thanks

UPDATE: Sorted by turning the Duokan system off in Duokan's Settings menu. After a couple of restarts works fine now. Don't know what that means for ease of starting up Duokan tho'!

Also BIG thanks to all those who generously expended time & effort on these hacks as they make life with the Kindle much better....

Last edited by alban; 11-13-2011 at 11:47 AM.
alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #191
mpetersen3
Enthusiast
mpetersen3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi, I have used the 0.10N k3g installer for jailbreaking my kindle and I can use the usbNetwork connection to ssh/scp files to that location. I believe that since ~usbNetwork works this means my jailbreak is working, is this assumption correct?

However, when I scp the launchpad installer (the lpad-pkg-0.1c.zip version binary for k3g) into /mnt/us/ and then run "Update" the update fails to install. I have the kindle 3G (US) with firmware 3.3 . Any idea about my problems?

Also just out of curiousity what is required to compile the launchpad source? Does it need to be compiled on the kindle using the tinyC compiler/lib? I can't imagine compiling it on x86_64 arch linux since I don't have a mips proc and the binary would be completely different.

p.s. thanks to everyone in the scene for your excellent work in taking this device up another notch

p.p.s I am setting mntroot rw since I need to allow scp to copy the file, but I haven't been setting mntroot back to r only, I will try this later today to see if it will fix it.

Last edited by mpetersen3; 11-21-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention
mpetersen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #192
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
Also just out of curiousity what is required to compile the launchpad source?
ARM ELDK from http://denx.de and eclipse IDE were used for that.

Also, a (VirtualBox) linux virtual machine containing everything needed in order
to develop code for kindle was built, it can be used for a quick start.

HTH.

P.S. there's nothing to do with mntroot while installing the launchpad..
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #193
mpetersen3
Enthusiast
mpetersen3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
ARM ELDK from http://denx.de and eclipse IDE were used for that.

Also, a (VirtualBox) linux virtual machine containing everything needed in order
to develop code for kindle was built, it can be used for a quick start.

HTH.

P.S. there's nothing to do with mntroot while installing the launchpad..
Thanks for the speedy reply. I thought that to copy the files via scp I needed to use mntroot rw to allow writing to the root dir. I realize this isn't the case when the kindle is in disk mode (is it just setting the mount itself to rw?) Have you ever installed it via this method? I got the file from the link at the bottom of your first post on this thread.

If I am running usbNetwork does that mean that I have jailbroken my kindle properly? (I just want to know so I can cross it off my potential suspects list).

Edit: Transferring binary via disk mode made no difference, The error code I see is U007.

Last edited by mpetersen3; 11-21-2011 at 03:59 PM.
mpetersen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #194
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
- yes, it looks like you have jailbroken your kindle properly
- it is not clear from your initial post what particular file you use to install launchpad.
Based on your device type you have to unpack the zip archive and use
the update_launchpad_0.0.1c_k3g_install.bin
- it is possible that the old binary update file above is not compatible with your modern jailbreak/OS version,
and this is the reason why you get U007 update error. Repacking the update binary
can help in this case. Please refer to jailbreak-related topics.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #195
ryran
Connoisseur

h1uke covered all the answers.. I agree with them.
One more thing though: You don't need to run mntroot in order to write to /mnt/us, which is a separate filesystem from the root fs.