Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #106
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
I just bought my second Sony yesterday. Can't say I have had your same issues with mine. Maybe one or 2 small issues. I have called tech support 3 ties on 2 readers and they fixed whatever was wrong at the time. Not to mention both my batteries are removable (by me if needed and easily) and they last forever (2 weeks on a charge is amazing). Maybe you got a lemon... Just because some of us didn't doesn't mean we need to plaster the forum with "Sony Readers Suck!" kind of postings. I can relate to your frustrations. You might sell that on ebay and buy a new one.
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #107
Deke218
I Likes Ta Read!
Deke218 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Wow! I'm having a problem with the battery on my 600 - getting an hours use out of it after its been on the PSP charger for 3 days.

Thought I'd come here for help but after reading some of youse trolls responses, I can honestly say that its not SONY that sucks. Its some of you. I'll go elsewhere for my Sony help because I'd be damned if I have to put up with some of you ....

MR. MODERATOR... PLEASE BAN ME FOR LIFE OR CANCEL MY ACCOUNT.
Deke218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #108
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke218 View Post
Wow! I'm having a problem with the battery on my 600 - getting an hours use out of it after its been on the PSP charger for 3 days.

Thought I'd come here for help but after reading some of youse trolls responses, I can honestly say that its not SONY that sucks. Its some of you. I'll go elsewhere for my Sony help because I'd be damned if I have to put up with some of you ....

At the risk of falling foul of the rule, could I point out that Deke218 posted one question bar his introduction post here, which was promptly, politely and helpfully answered.

I can only assume that there is some other agenda at play here (psockpuppet perhaps?).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

So what did anyone here do to you to cause you to be so insulting?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #110
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:

I don't understand why some people ask to be banned when they can just abandon their account. I can sympathise with this departing member's frustration. Who among us has not become annoyed with a small electronic device at some point? But posting disgruntled mesages isn't likely to help.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #111
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

The following is Rumpleteazer's post, which seems to be what upset this individual so highly:

Quote:
Have you tried another charger or charging it by connecting it to a computer? It might be that your charger is broken. You could also try a soft reset, that seems to help solve some weird problems.

If you checked both and it still doesn't want to charge I would contact Sony or the store where it was bought.

Good luck!
That was, by the way, the only reply to his post, unless there's been a whole lot deleted that we don't know about. He posts a problem. Someone else posts some possible solutions. He goes ballistic.

There is clearly some part of this story I am totally missing.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #112
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
That was, by the way, the only reply to his post, unless there's been a whole lot deleted that we don't know about. He posts a problem. Someone else posts some possible solutions. He goes ballistic.

There is clearly some part of this story I am totally missing.
You're not the only one who is confused by his reaction!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #113
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Quote:
I received the PRS 600 in Feb, 2010 as a birthday present. Believe me, I never would have gotten this for myself as I am not a fan of anything Sony.

That being said, for the first month or so, this thing was great and I wondered how I could ever live without it. Having an entire library in my pocket!

Stating in April, I noticed that the battery wouldn't take a complete charge. It would fill the battery indicator to half full and that was it. This was using the PSP wall charger and it went downhill from there.

At present a full weekends charge - 3 days - gives me just under 1 hour of use!!! By the time I get to work, I'm getting the low battery warning.

Is this a known issue with this thing and if so, is there a fix or should I just chuck this sucker off the Brooklyn Bridge on the way home?
Have you tried another charger or charging it by connecting it to a computer? It might be that your charger is broken. You could also try a soft reset, that seems to help solve some weird problems.

If you checked both and it still doesn't want to charge I would contact Sony or the store where it was bought.

Good luck!
Quoted above from another thread you ask for help at 3:27pm today, you get a polite response at 4:52pm today. Good advice that you might want to look into.

Then at 4:57pm today 5 minutes after the reply above you post this incomprehensible post (quoted below) in a completely different thread.

Quote:

I don't know you, so I have no idea why you would write such an uncivilized post lashing out at folks who have said nothing to you to deserve such a response, but I do hope you get the help you need.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-27-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: comma added
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #114
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't know you so I have no idea why you would write such an uncivilized post lashing out at folks who have said nothing to you to deserve such a response, but I do hope you get the help you need.
I get the feeling you're not referring to help with his ebook reader, either.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #115
tracyprime
tracyprime began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
To all the people who love their PRS600 like I did (for 5 months) How do you charge this thing! It has decided that resetting isn't a help anymore. If it won't charge, I can't reset it, and turning it on just uses more battery! When I check it, it will tease me, and show 3/4 battery life, but as soon as I open the book to read, the battery warning pops up, and the indicator has gone back to empty! HELP
tracyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #116
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
How are you charging the 600?

Are you using a SD or PRODuo card with lots of books on it?

Do you have music files on your 600? Maybe they are playing in the background.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #117
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyprime View Post
To all the people who love their PRS600 like I did (for 5 months) How do you charge this thing! It has decided that resetting isn't a help anymore. If it won't charge, I can't reset it, and turning it on just uses more battery! When I check it, it will tease me, and show 3/4 battery life, but as soon as I open the book to read, the battery warning pops up, and the indicator has gone back to empty! HELP
Best way is with a wall charger using the psp (round) plug. USB ports/cables/chargers are not all the same and some will actually discharge the reader.

Once the Reader gets into the state you describe it may take several hours of charging for it to be able to reset. (This happened to me once with my 505)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #118
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
I've been following this thread almost from the beginning and no one seems to have looked at the problem the way I have. When I first got my 600, I plugged it into a USB wall charger that I had for my iPod. It appeared to charge okay, but died in less than an hour. I did notice that the charge light went out in about 5 minutes which seemed a little weird. So I plugged it into a USB port on my notebook computer. Then it took much longer to charge and behaved as I would expect when I used it. I wrote to Sony and they told me that, unless I bought their wall charger, it had to be hooked to a port on a computer. The charge logic actually looks for some signal on the USB port to tell the reader that it is connected to a computer. Many in this forum claim that a play station charger will work, but it is possible that it won't work with all units. I notice that the wall charger input is labeled as 5.2 V. All of my Radio Shack wall chargers are 5.0 volts. It appears that Sony has done everything in their marketing power to force you to buy their charger if you don't want to always be hooking it up to a computer.

From what I can see in the original poster's message, he was running afoul of Sony's rigid charging spec. It was exactly what I observed until I used a PC USB port. I think it is rather arrogant of Sony to force you to buy their wall charger. That attitude could lose them some loyal fans who will jump ship and buy a competing product.

Dave W
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #119
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
So you use a Sony charger, big deal. The price of the charger is not much different than a price for other chargers out there. It is also a one time cost that should last longer than the E Reader.
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #120
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I think it is rather arrogant of Sony to force you to buy their wall charger. That attitude could lose them some loyal fans who will jump ship and buy a competing product.
My guess is that Sony did it to protect the device. Many cheap USB chargers do not follow the spec and can pump too much current into the port, or affect the circuitry in some other way.
That said, you don't have to buy a Sony wall charger, there are plenty of cheap clones available. Just look for "PSP charger" on Ebay or in a nearest electronics shop. And 5.0V ones work just fine - the DC input port is much more tolerant than USB.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, don't buy it, pdf, prs-600, sony reader