Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Comparing the eBookwise-1150 and the GEB/REB 1100

I was doing a google search today and found this page on eBookwise.com that I had never seen before.

In case you have not seen it as well, here is the link --> The eBookwise-1150 and the GEB 1100: a Comparison

Please note that the GEB 1100 is also known as the REB 1100.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I was doing a google search today and found this page on eBookwise.com that I had never seen before.

In case you have not seen it as well, here is the link --> The eBookwise-1150 and the GEB 1100: a Comparison

Please note that the GEB 1100 is also known as the REB 1100.
Interesting but old. There is no way the 1150 has 15 font sizes. If you really want to know about font sizes see the table on my 1150 page. Image capability is missing from the comparison. Seems to be shaded a bit toward the 1150. Many 1100 owners swear by their units as being better than the 1150.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Interesting but old. There is no way the 1150 has 15 font sizes. If you really want to know about font sizes see the table on my 1150 page. Image capability is missing from the comparison. Seems to be shaded a bit toward the 1150. Many 1100 owners swear by their units as being better than the 1150.

Dale
Yes, a tad old, and maybe forgotten, on their website.

I like the 1100 screen better; something about the interaction of the monochrome font with the backlit LCD screen.

And speaking of fonts, how I liked 'Verdana Bold 8pt' and 'Verdana 12pt' for the small and large print choices.

The GUI is better on the 1150 (same as the REB 1200)! I hated looking up long titles (like 'Author - Series - Title') on the 1100 as there was no way to scroll across, so you were left guessing which ebook you were selecting. And no folders/categories to sort them by!

The HTML (v3.2) support is stronger on the 1150 (and 1200) and that's why I migrated up! However, the 1150 is really cramped for internal memory/space. Per a recent email exchange with Garth Conboy of ETI, I learned that the 1150's 4MB RAM shares code and data whereas the 1200 8MB RAM is all for data. That explained why some very large projects I made would work on the 1200 but would exhaust an internal resource (heap memory) on the 1150 and would then re-boot it! Urrghh!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
paulnjean
paulnjean began at the beginning.

Device: RCA Reb 1100
Alot alike?

I had no idea they were so alike. I didn't know that the 1150 could also read .rb. Is that true? Will my books that I have converted from .lit to .rb work on an 1150? Do you know for sure? I think I might like to upgrade to a newer 1150 if I can still use my converted ebooks. My 1100 takes a long time to flip a page once I'm about a third into a book, is that a problem with the 1150? I also was under the impression you were locked into Fictionwise's bookstore. Alot of questions I know but I would like other opinions before I make the switch. Thanks in advance Paul
paulnjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnjean View Post
I had no idea they were so alike. I didn't know that the 1150 could also read .rb. Is that true? Will my books that I have converted from .lit to .rb work on an 1150? Do you know for sure? I think I might like to upgrade to a newer 1150 if I can still use my converted ebooks. My 1100 takes a long time to flip a page once I'm about a third into a book, is that a problem with the 1150? I also was under the impression you were locked into Fictionwise's bookstore. Alot of questions I know but I would like other opinions before I make the switch. Thanks in advance Paul
The two ebook readers are similar in size, but use two different 'everything'. They have nothing really in common.

The comment that the 1150 can use ".rb" referred to the personal content server where you upload the .rb and it places a .imp/.res in your online bookshelf. Then you connect the 1150 and download it directly to the 1150 via usb cable connected to your PC or via telephone line link. This process has *failed* to convert from .rb for me in the past!

The eBook Technologies, Inc. website has a support program called RB2Project which converts .rb to .imp as well. The GUI interface (drag and drop) doesn't work very well as it doesn't finish the conversion. The eBook Publisher is then used to complete the conversion. However, if you use the command line and give it the proper options/switches, then it DOES finish the conversion!

I primarily converted from .lit/.prc to .rb BEFORE I got my 1150 and now I do the same from .lit/.prc to .imp using Lit2sb and Mobi2IMP found here in the fictionwise forum. You can view .imp files with the PC ebook viewer. Do some conversions and judge for yourself if you like the process!

You mentioned page flip problems deep into the book. I personally have never come across this and have converted huge ebooks.

Most people that have a 1150, I think, would buy from the Fictionwise site in multi-format and convert to .imp. This way you are NOT locked into an "end" format like .imp.

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-09-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Advert
Old 04-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
paulnjean
paulnjean began at the beginning.

Device: RCA Reb 1100
Thanks for the info Nick. That's kind of disapointing to know that the program specifically designed to convert .rb to .imp is so lacking. The program I use to convert .lit to .rb is almost a 5 click job but you can do a large batch at a time, the gui is easy to understand and MOST importantly I am familiar with and understand it. New things tend to frustrate me, I guess thats why I am still using the 1100, HA HA. Thanks again Paul
paulnjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Thrugg
Thrugg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: REB 1100
The issue with slow page turns is one I've run into in the past.

I use rbmake and I believe this to be an artifact of the way the format/reader builds the page for displaying on the fly from text files (as opposed to the pre-paginated (?) format for the 1150). Due to this, it'll read through your file looking for paragraphs to break it up in before rendering it to the screen. Since your text file does not have delineated paragraph markers like an HTML file does, it ends up having to read up to wherever you are currently at in the book.

As you turn pages, it's reading further and further into the file, presumably loading all that into memory before giving you your page. If you try to jump really far ahead in a book directly (just hitting somewhere down the progress bar) you can probably get it to crash and reboot.

This only ever happens to me with text files that I've converted. The only way around it that I know of is to either get a HTML version of the same book, or convert your text file into HTML with sufficient paragraph's for it to handle. There may be some options in rbmake to avoid this with text files, but I'm not familiar with them if there are.
Thrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrugg View Post
...This only ever happens to me with text files that I've converted. The only way around it that I know of is to either get a HTML version of the same book, or convert your text file into HTML with sufficient paragraph's for it to handle. There may be some options in rbmake to avoid this with text files, but I'm not familiar with them if there are.
Great discovery!

Using rbmake, I only convert .html to .rb. Maybe that is why I have never experienced this "slow page turn" issue.

For my "text to html" needs, I have used, with great success (from the command line too): Text2Html (Freeware Text to HTML converter)
Old 04-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Comparing the eBookwise-1150 and the GEB/REB 1100

[QUOTE=paulnjean;168523]I had no idea they were so alike. I didn't know that the 1150 could also read .rb. Is that true?

I buy the .rb format all the time (from different sites), then use the Ebookwise Librarian program (demo version free, regular version $15.00) to convert and transfer to the EBW 1150. Even when I buy from EBookwise, I go to the Fictionwise site (which also has my books saved on the bookshelf) so I can choose the format (.rb) I want to download. This is important to me because when I convert on the librarian to an .imp/res file I can edit the data like the category to whatever I want BEFORE downloading into the EBW 1150. Being able to sort by category is important to me. The librarian program has been well worth the money and allows convertion of DOCs and RTX as well.

Denise
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
[QUOTE=spear;170700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnjean View Post
I had no idea they were so alike. I didn't know that the 1150 could also read .rb. Is that true?

I buy the .rb format all the time (from different sites), then use the Ebookwise Librarian program (demo version free, regular version $15.00) to convert and transfer to the EBW 1150. Even when I buy from EBookwise, I go to the Fictionwise site (which also has my books saved on the bookshelf) so I can choose the format (.rb) I want to download. This is important to me because when I convert on the librarian to an .imp/res file I can edit the data like the category to whatever I want BEFORE downloading into the EBW 1150. Being able to sort by category is important to me. The librarian program has been well worth the money and allows convertion of DOCs and RTX as well.

Denise
ETI also supplies and excellent RB converter to unpack an RB file for conversion using eBook Publisher and it is free. Just download it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote