Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
lizchris610
lizchris610 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
MOBI Kindle question

I am new here. This is not a re-post. I was told to post here instead of the "welcome" area.

I am trying to sell my e-book on amazon.com (Kindle). They ask for an HTML version of my book. I'm having trouble with that as it is not WYSIWIG and not sure if it will look right in the end.

I have software that can convert PDF or Word into MOBI or other e-friendly formats.

Does anyone know the BEST way to upload an e-book to sell on amazon Kindle?

Also, should MOBI file be many files?
lizchris610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
It's pretty easy.

1) Download Mobipocket Creator (it's free from Mobipocket.com.)

2) Save your file as .html (just save normally so you have an untouched backup, then hit "Save as..." in your word processing program and save as .html

3) Open up Mobipocket Creator and click "Import From Existing File" and choose .html

4) I usually make a .prc because that's what was recommended to me.

5) Upload right to Amazon. They'll convert it to their format. Check it over and you're done.

Plus, once you have it as a .prc, you can use Calibre or something to convert it right to an .epub
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
The other alternative is to make an epub (there is a WYSIWYG editor called Sigil for that, it will import html files), then use Kindlegen (on Amazon's publishing page) to convert that epub into a mobil file.

Mobipocket Creator is something of a nightmare to use, IMHO.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Mobipocket Creator is something of a nightmare to use, IMHO.
In what way? I find it very user-friendly, personally. What aspects of it do you find nightmarish?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In what way? I find it very user-friendly, personally. What aspects of it do you find nightmarish?
TOC creation isn't particularly intuitive, especially if you want to use images as your chapter titles. And the error messages you get when a build fails don't really tell you why (or at least not in a way that I understand, and I work with html in my real job).
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
lizchris610
lizchris610 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks

Thank you! I will check all of this out.
lizchris610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
TOC creation isn't particularly intuitive, especially if you want to use images as your chapter titles. And the error messages you get when a build fails don't really tell you why (or at least not in a way that I understand, and I work with html in my real job).
OK. I guess that I haven't noticed that, because I don't make errors .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote