Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
ode
ode began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Question Extracting highlighed sections from kindle?

Hi, new member ode here

I'm considering getting a Kindle. I would like to know if it is possible to extract highlighted sections from the books/articles I read? At the moment I'm keeping notes/quotes from my reading on a computer for easier searching later. It would be great if I could extract the highlighted sections and append them to a text file on my machine.

I'll be generally using PDF's (I'm willing to convert them if this makes a big difference), and whatever format recipes from Calibre are in (mobi?).

Thanks for any help you can give me.

It's great to see there is such a big friendly community here supporting reading!
ode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Welcome to MobileRead ode!

You will be able to extract any notes or highlights you make by using the "My Clippings.txt" file on your Kindle.

Quote:
Editing the "My Clippings" File

All of your bookmarks, highlights, notes, and clippings are stored in the "My Clippings" TXT file on your Kindle. You can transfer and copy the file to share and use your clippings.
To transfer the "My Clippings" file and open it on your computer:

1. Connect your Kindle to your computer using the USB cable.
2. Use your computer's file browser to view the Documents folder on Kindle.
3. Transfer the "My Clippings" file from Kindle to your computer.
4. Open the "My Clippings" file on your computer using an application that can read or import a .TXT file.

If you wish, you can make changes to the file and transfer it back to your Kindle. Changing your "My Clippings" file does not affect any notes, bookmarks, or highlights you've made in the actual content. The next time you read the content, you can still use them for navigation and reference.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
ode
ode began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Great info daffy, thanks for the quick reply.
ode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
That's great to know. I've highlighted quotes from a character in a book I'm reading for an informal online book club I am doing with some friends, and that makes for an easy way to copy and paste said quotes. Thanks!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Have you guys checked this out:

http://kindle.amazon.com/home/welcome

Sync your kindle, and sign in to this page with your Amazon account. All of your highlights are captured online. This is my husbands most used feature!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Have you guys checked this out:

http://kindle.amazon.com/home/welcome

Sync your kindle, and sign in to this page with your Amazon account. All of your highlights are captured online. This is my husbands most used feature!
That's books that are purchased from Amazon only, I presume?

The file on the actual Kindle though contains the highlights from all books?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
"My Clippings" has everything, but the online stuff is only for Amazon books.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
You're welcome
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
timmorn
Zealot
timmorn doesn't littertimmorn doesn't litter

Device: none
Has someone found an other way to transfer the clippings? It would be a lot of more usable if there would be a way that they are automatically synchronized. So that you must not plug in the USB cable each time you need the file... What I have read, they are synchronized to the amazon cloud. But how can I get the file from there?

kindle.amazon.com is not usable because it only stores the notes to orderes books. I need it in special for my magazines.

Thanks,
Timmorn
timmorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle highlight extract