Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Please recommend very engrossing novels.

One of my cats died recently so I'm trying to "hide" in books. I have loads on my ereader and am currently reading "Restoration" by Rose Tremain (can't remember where I got this ) which so far just seems the story of a very selfish guy who jumps in and out of the beds of different women.

I like historical novels, romances with a twist - not the Mills and Boon variety- Dragonwyck by Anya Seton is a good example. Anything which really pulls you in from the first page and is reasonably easy to read (my concentration isn't great due to grief) and has characters I can really care about.

Public Domain and Creative Commons preferred cos the cat, bless her, cost a fortune in vets bills and I'm broke.

BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm sorry to hear that.

My first thought is the Dresden series by Jim Butcher. A total of 12 books (well, 11 now, 12 comes out in April), and they're engrossing. It was all I could do not to read the entire series in two weeks (only lasted two months). First is Storm Front.

Or if you like romances with a twist, you could try the paranormal series "Fever" by Karen Marie Moning. You'll spend all of your time screaming for her head when you finish, the last book isn't due out until December and the last has a major cliffhanger. Oh wait, I don't think that made you want to read that series...but it's really good (first is "Dreamfever")
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Oh, missed the part about cheap/freeness. Hrmm, what have I read recently that would fall under that? I'm reading the Sherlock Holmes omnibus, which I got on here, which is of course awesome.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Sorry to hear about your cat. If you like classics, The Count of Monte Cristo is just about one of the best books out there. You can find it right here on MR. For me, it's one of those rare can't-put-it-down books. It'll keep you going for quite a while, too - long book.

If you do get a little money to buy a book, another page-turner novel set in historical times is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Didn't care for the sequel that much (World Without End), but Pillars draws you in from the start.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks cmdahler and lilac. Have downloaded the Count of Monte Cristo; I have Sherlock in HB. I've a feeling that Dumas may require more concentration than I have at the mo.

Please keep suggestions coming.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Wuthering Heights! Very sweeping atmosphere, passion and adventure. A great book.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
One of my cats died recently so I'm trying to "hide" in books. I have loads on my ereader and am currently reading "Restoration" by Rose Tremain (can't remember where I got this ) which so far just seems the story of a very selfish guy who jumps in and out of the beds of different women.

I like historical novels, romances with a twist - not the Mills and Boon variety- Dragonwyck by Anya Seton is a good example. Anything which really pulls you in from the first page and is reasonably easy to read (my concentration isn't great due to grief) and has characters I can really care about.

Public Domain and Creative Commons preferred cos the cat, bless her, cost a fortune in vets bills and I'm broke.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss...

I think you might like to read a historical novel from New Zealand by Shayne Parkinson... It's very easy to read, and draws you in straight away... Sentence of Marriage is the first book in a series of 3.. and is free..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Excuse my newness to the forum and allow me to recommend my favorite Bronte novel:
Anne Bronte's Tenant of Wildfell Hall is available as a free ebook in many formats at Manybooks.net

They also have The Decameron, which is 100 short stories, some of which are hilarious and/or absolutely filthy. I read them when I was homesick and lonely.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J

Thank you lene, have downloaded Sentence of Marriage, it has some great reviews. Shame the rest in the series aren't also free.

Ficbot, I have an old HB copy of "Wuthering Heights" which I've worn out with reading. I agree that it's a great book, no film has done it justice. The first time I read it I was shocked that Cathy dies half way through: in the Olivier film she dies at the end.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Bookcat, I forgot to express my condolences; sorry for your loss.

I scanned my bookmarks for things I marked 'favourite' and here are some more suggestions:

Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
1984 by George Orwell
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #11
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
I am so sorry to hear that you recently lost your cat ((HUGS)) Losing a beloved fur baby is never easy

How about The Good Mother:
Recently divorced, Anna Dunlap has two passionate attachments: her daughter, four-year-old Molly, and her lover, Leo, the man who makes her feel beautiful -- and sexual -- for the first time. Swept away by happiness and passion, Anna feels she has everything she's ever wanted.

Then come the shocking charges that would threaten her new love, her new "family" ... that force her to prove she is a good mother
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #12
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Thank you lene, have downloaded Sentence of Marriage, it has some great reviews. Shame the rest in the series aren't also free.
The other books in the series are only $1.99 each... It's very good value, and they're each as good as the first one...

P.S. I have no affiliation with the writer - just loved the books..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Sorry about your loss, best wishes to you. You might try Boomerang by our very own Alan Hutchinson. Inexpensive and fun to read.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:46 AM   #14
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, BookCat. Our two "boys" lived to be 16 and 18. They were a huge part of our lives, and we still miss them.

I see that Lene has been kind enough to recommend my Sentence of Marriage, and that you've downloaded it. I do hope it brings you some welcome distraction.

Last edited by Shayne Parkinson; 03-02-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #15
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
You could try the first Outlander book by Diana Gabaldon.
sorry for your loss.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
novels, recommendations