Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
Ramphaus
Ramphaus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 900
The doctor is in... (cross-post)

trouble.

Listen, the descriptive noun "Newbie" does not even begin to describe me.

I searched, and even when I did, esoteric language (for me) made it incomprehensible.

Here's what I have: Sony PRS-900

Here's what else I have: hundreds of medical PDFs organized perfectly into folders on my MacBook Pro.

Here's what I need: to drag the folders into my reader without having to do anything else.

Question 1) is that possible?
Question 2) if not, for what should I trade this eReader?

I can't seem to drag folders to Reader Library and have them stay that way - which seems to me to be the most logical method of transferring files. I realize that even for Mac it is a "virtual" directory system, but considering how many PDFs I have, and the fact that they are separated based on subject, and especially the fact that I am adding to my database on a weekly basis, I need an easy Drag-and-drop method to keep that up to date on the reader.

I dloaded Calibre, but I can't figure out how to do this there either. it seems as though i have to add the files to the library, then add a tag to them, which then places them into a collection on the reader. That is too tedious considering how many files I have and how often I add to my collection.

I apologize profusely in advance, for what I realize must be either a) asked every five minutes and b) quite rudimentary for you guys.
Ramphaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
Ramphaus

I should also add that eReaders for doctors would be huge. Considering the number of journal articles we read, and keep on hand (most of us have gigs upon gigs of just journal articles on portable drives), if we could simply drag some of the premiere folders to a reader, that would be useful.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Let me add a bit to the Doctor's request:

1) The Sony reader is based on collections - documents will appear in as many collections as the have tags. All documents with the tag Oral Cancer will appear in the collection Oral Cancer.

2) The Doctor's current folder structure is the file equivalent of collections. In this case the folder name would be Oral Cancer.

3) The Doctor does not care how documents are stored on the device (whether he knows it or not), he just wants the transfer process to be automatic and painless. Sort of an EReader Hippocratic Oath.

What filter can he use to import a directory structure into Calibre and have the appropriate tags created so everything will be accessible the way he wants on the device?

Thanks - and pardon me for putting words in his mouth...

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
What filter can he use to import a directory structure into Calibre and have the appropriate tags created so everything will be accessible the way he wants on the device?

Thanks - and pardon me for putting words in his mouth...
If you hadn't (explained further) I would have no idea what he needed.

Perhaps someone knows how to do what he wants to do automatically. I don't. It could be done (tags from folder names) but someone would need to write a script.

That said, here's how I would do it. I'll assume that the pdf's have authors and titles so that data is correct when loaded, and that the database is empty:

1) Use "Add Books From Single Directory" to add all books in his "Oral Cancer" directory.

2) Highlight all books, hit "e" and type "Done, Oral Cancer" on the add tags line. Hit OK.

3) On the "search" line at the main screen type "not tag:Done" All the books will disappear. (Because they are all now tagged with "Done")

4) Repeat 1) - 2) for more directories (leaving "not tag:Done" on the search line.)

It should go fast if his pdf's have the title and author correctly marked. If the Done tag screws up the Sony, remove it by highlighting all, hitting "e" to edit the metadata for all and remove the Done tag from all.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Ramphaus

hmm, thanks! will try.

thanks for the translation as well.