Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Restore Database?

I have a database with some 3600+ books, and I mistakenly deleted a custom column of my collections.

No problems, I thought. I shall restore the library file from my trusty Windows Home Server backup. I have done WHS restores on a number of occasions without drama. It was at this point I learned about the dread WHS 81% error. If you are a WHS user, you should learn about it. Google is your friend, but will only confirm your grief.

So, my question, will Calibre's Restore database function help me?
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's restore database does not help you go back in time. It will restore you to whatever your current database state is. It isn't a backup mechanism, only a bit of redundancy to recover from db corruption.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Thanks for your reply Kovid...

Thank goodness for belt and braces!

My Calibre Library now resides on a server. In a desperate attempt to recover, I just did a hard drive search for a Calibre Library, on my workstation, which was Calibre's original home. Lo, I discovered a backup I had set up for the folder which contains the server copy. I set it up so long ago, I had forgotten I had it. It has been ticking over every night, without any intervention from me.

Calibre is back intact!

Now, all I have to do is discover what went wrong with my Windows Home Server backup.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote