Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
DonaldL.
Connoisseur
DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500/300/650, Kobo Aura H2O
Google reportedly set to offer a $99 Nexus tablet later this year

Google reportedly set to blow open the tablet market later this year with $99 Nexus tablet

Quote:
Google (GOOG) and its hardware partner ASUS are reportedly planning to launch a new $99 Nexus tablet this year that could open up the tablet market to a massive new group of consumers. The report comes from Digitimes on Thursday, and it cites unnamed industry sources in claiming two new Nexus tablets are currently in the works.
DonaldL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I would be very interested in seeing what kind of specs they'd toss into something that inexpensive.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this one. Exciting stuff.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3; Kindle DX
OMG it's even cheaper than Kindle Paperwhite I wonder how this could affect the tablet market.
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe View Post
OMG it's even cheaper than Kindle Paperwhite I wonder how this could affect the tablet market.
I would imagine it would be mania from heaven for users, lower prices across the board and more functionality and bang for the buck.

Price wars are good for the consumers and not so much for the stockholders.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Since I have a laptop, a smartphone, and an e-ink reader, I haven't seen a tablet as a necessity item. I still don't, however, for $99 why not, if the specs were somewhat decent. I'd even overlook the lack of an SD card slot.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
So far it's only a rumour, and it could be the price of the 3G version once subsidized by carriers.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
...mania from heaven...
My ex-wife had that.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
If this really comes to pass, I would jump on it in a heartbeat for my son, who is 7. I have been hoping to get him something cheap and relatively small for books, movies, games, etc., so he'll leave my iPad alone.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe View Post
The *tablet* market?
If real (Humongous *if*) it would put an end to the Android crap-pad market in whatever regions it ships to.
It would consolidate the low end of the market into the Nexus brand and strengthen the generic Android ecosystem against the challenge of the Fire and Nook forks.

A good question is what *size* the tablet woulld be and what specs it would have.

A bit more interesting is the mention off a *second* new model.
It might be an update to the Nexus 7 but more likely a 9-10incher.
Now *that* would be fun to see: a $299 Fire/Nook equivalent Nexus 9.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Since I have a laptop, a smartphone, and an e-ink reader, I haven't seen a tablet as a necessity item. I still don't, however, for $99 why not, if the specs were somewhat decent. I'd even overlook the lack of an SD card slot.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've been keeping an eye on cheap tablets and cross-referencing at xda in case I come across a gem at a justifiable price since I don't actually need one. A Google tablet at that price point would be just the thing to make me finally hit the "buy" button.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
My ex-wife had that.
LOL
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
My ex-wife had that.
So did my School Chaplain.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Looks like Google took a page out of Microsoft's corporate playbook... when caught flat-footed, engage in FUD. For the uninformed, FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) is when a company promises or leaks a rumor of a product that will be better than what is currently available in the hopes of influencing potential customers of those competing products to wait for the as-yet-to-be-released product.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Looks like Google took a page out of Microsoft's corporate playbook... when caught flat-footed, engage in FUD. For the uninformed, FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) is when a company promises or leaks a rumor of a product that will be better than what is currently available in the hopes of influencing potential customers of those competing products to wait for the as-yet-to-be-released product.
Do you know for a fact that Google spread the rumour? It's an honest question.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Do you know for a fact that Google spread the rumour? It's an honest question.
I will say that in the tablet arena, rumors come true more often than not.

I think that it is wonderful.

I keep remaking my Christmas gift list. (Well except for that one guy who only wants calendars of the most sorted variety.)
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote