Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #46
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
iPhone, iPhone2, iPhone3G, iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPhone4S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The iPhone is the exception rather than the norm.
Not to mention the fact that there was no iPhone 2. It went from iPhone to iPhone 3G. The numeric 3 didn't reference the third model, but rather the 3G data support.

iPhone = iPhone 1
iPhone 3G = iPhone 2
iPhone 3GS = iPhone 3
iPhone 4 = iPhone 4
iPhone 4S = iPhone 5

So while there's a bit of incremental model naming going on there, it's really only the iPhone 4 that truly follows that naming convention.

Last edited by K. Molen; 04-11-2012 at 03:50 PM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #47
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I disagree; I think the iPad's design is a great study in minimalism. The only thing I'd add is an outbound USB port, but that's relatively minor. I don't see how a different design would add any new functionality to it.
Oh wow. There is so much room for improvement that I could write an entire book on the missing features...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #48
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
For cellphones, while there are undoubtedly folks who buy the latest model (well, the iPhone mostly) when it comes out, I reckon folks who just use their phones for the basics (talk and text), the only time they switch phones is when the battery is no longer holding a charge.
A lot of people on contracts upgrade as soon as they're eligible; otherwise you're paying six months or more of extra subsidies on the device you have.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #49
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
A lot of people on contracts upgrade as soon as they're eligible; otherwise you're paying six months or more of extra subsidies on the device you have.
Yeah, I do the same myself. However, I know a lot of people (mostly older folk) still using their 5 yr old flip phones. Oh well, given general wear and tear, phones probably start acting up by the 2 year mark.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #50
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I disagree; I think the iPad's design is a great study in minimalism. The only thing I'd add is an outbound USB port, but that's relatively minor. I don't see how a different design would add any new functionality to it.
A card slot certainly would.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #51
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, I do the same myself. However, I know a lot of people (mostly older folk) still using their 5 yr old flip phones. Oh well, given general wear and tear, phones probably start acting up by the 2 year mark.
Smart phones are overrunning the market, though, and users are seeing a lot of the same upgrade pressures that drove PC sales from about 1990-2008: lacking the RAM and CPU to run new apps well and running out of space for more apps.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #52
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
That's no elephant. That's how most computer companies work; keep the existing case designs as long as possible and just change out the innards to make a newer model. Apple did it with the original Mac thru the Mac plus (although the Plus had an extra hole for the SCSI port), the SE and SE/30, the Classic and Classic II, the six-slot Mac II line, the three-slot Mac II line, the three different styles of Tanzania-board PowerMac (tower, desktop, and all-in-one), many of the iMacs and all the Mac Mini line, and all that. In some cases, the only difference in models was the price and the sticker on the front.

That is all true. But the whole Apple system, the future growth of the company, depends on people upgrading to the new models all the time. So you have to offer new designs to entice them to do it. If users think "this is good enough for me, I will keep using my old device", then the good days are over.

Unless they have another completely new product line coming up no later than next year.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #53
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Of course it's going to look bad if you single out a single company out of the hundreds that put together and sell Windows-based computers. (as for the smartphone issue, that is only because the telcos *heavily* subsidize the initial cost - much easier for people to pay $40 a month per person for the next 3 years when they don't have that initial $300-500 cost per person)
I simply don't think that tablets and smart phones have to outsell PCs at this moment in order for there to be something to the phrase "post PC".

The pc world is largely stagnant, with falling sales. Smart phones already outsell PC's and are in hyper growth mode. In a couple years tablets will outsell PC's too. Already the iPad sells more than HP (the largest pc maker).

So current sales do a better job of displaying the trend than installed base. Of course the current installed base of computers is much larger.

Nor does post-pc mean "no pc". It's just that the pc is losing it's place as the dominant force for advancement.

Nonny
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #54
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Nor does post-pc mean "no pc". It's just that the pc is losing it's place as the dominant force for advancement.
Thanks, that's the part a lot of people are missing when they see "post-PC".
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #55
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That is all true. But the whole Apple system, the future growth of the company, depends on people upgrading to the new models all the time. So you have to offer new designs to entice them to do it. If users think "this is good enough for me, I will keep using my old device", then the good days are over.

Unless they have another completely new product line coming up no later than next year.
I think that what a lot of people are missing is that the groundwork is already in place. First step was the iPod in all its various forms. Then came the iPhone. You have a customer base comfortable paying a couple hundred dollars for a device so the next step is a little better, a little more expensive, the iPad.

Also, each device gets the customer further entrenched into the 'walled garden' of the iTunes store and the App store.

Now, if you're willing to spend $500 for a tablet, $1000 or more for a Mac doesn't seem unreasonable. And you get the added benefit of everything working together, syncing together, natively, and out of the box.

Now, I'm not saying this was the original plan all along, from the inception of the iPod, but I think it has evolved into this. Get them a little closer, one step at a time, one price point at a time, until they make the 'big' purchase.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #56
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
iPhone, iPhone2, iPhone3G, iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPhone4S.

What a fail.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #57
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
I think that what a lot of people are missing is that the groundwork is already in place. First step was the iPod in all its various forms. Then came the iPhone. You have a customer base comfortable paying a couple hundred dollars for a device so the next step is a little better, a little more expensive, the iPad.

Also, each device gets the customer further entrenched into the 'walled garden' of the iTunes store and the App store.

Now, if you're willing to spend $500 for a tablet, $1000 or more for a Mac doesn't seem unreasonable. And you get the added benefit of everything working together, syncing together, natively, and out of the box.

Now, I'm not saying this was the original plan all along, from the inception of the iPod, but I think it has evolved into this. Get them a little closer, one step at a time, one price point at a time, until they make the 'big' purchase.
All app stores, all, are technically a walled garden. Whether its apple or google or amazon.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #58
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
The pc world is largely stagnant, with falling sales. Smart phones already outsell PC's and are in hyper growth mode. In a couple years tablets will outsell PC's too. Already the iPad sells more than HP (the largest pc maker).
Actually, PCs are seeing slower sales growth, not falling sales.

Quote:
So current sales do a better job of displaying the trend than installed base. Of course the current installed base of computers is much larger.
I'd say the opposite. PCs have achieved a level of market saturation which, coupled with "stagnation" in the pressures to upgrade existing machines, is slowing sales. The difference in growth between the PC and mobile market demonstrates the difference in those two factors, market saturation and upgrade pressure, not interest in or use of PCs.

Eventually though, the lull in PC upgrade pressures will probably give way to a spike in new purchases, either in response to a truly new technology like optical RAM or quantum computing, or due to a critical mass of the incremental improvements we've seen in the last 4-5 years. I would say that time is still at least a couple years away; there's nothing revolutionary in the pipeline just yet.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #59
ScientificBob
ScientificBob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.ScientificBob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.ScientificBob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.ScientificBob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.ScientificBob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.ScientificBob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.ScientificBob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.ScientificBob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.ScientificBob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.ScientificBob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.ScientificBob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: windows 8 device
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
I think you overestimate what most people need in a home computer.
I think you forget that Apple is not at all interested in offering a tablet that can replace a laptop or desktop.

Apple wants you to buy a tablet, a laptop, a desktop AND a phone.
It's apple that pushed this idea into the world that a tablet is a "third category device". And the reason is simply that: they want you to buy 4 devices from them, not one.

It's all about the money.
Microsoft is now coming with windows 8 saying "there isn't a single valid reason why a pc couldn't be all 3 at the same time".

You also overlook that even for home users, applications like Office and Photoshop is very important for a lot of them. Windows 8 has no problems running full versions of all those types of apps. In fact, it's designed to do so.

Certainly in these financially unstable times, I'ld think people will be more interested in buying a single 1000$ win 8 device rather then a 700$ tablet, 1500$ laptop and/or 2000$ desktop.

People have this false idea that Apple makes iOs tablets because they believe that people need it in that form. This is false. They make iOs tablets that aren't able to fully replace a mac, because they want you to ALSO buy a mac.

It's all about getting the most money out of your pocket as possible.
ScientificBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #60
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
All app stores, all, are technically a walled garden. Whether its apple or google or amazon.
Eh? Only if you define walled gardens to include those with walls that you can step over easily.

Android users can get apps from either the google or amazon store (and many other places). You can define Android overall as being a walled garden, but not the stores within its ecosystem.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote