Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Unhappy My first library book

I just downloaded my first library book, and.......

It won't work! waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

It says protected page. with a big no smoking sign without the cigarette

I had to use Reader library to download, but I loaded it onto the reader with Calibre.

Its only my second DRM book, but I can read the other one!

I have seven days to figure it out before it becomes unreadable. hey wait it is unreadable!

Bluddy DRM.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Bugger! So one will help no doubt.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am having a go at putting it on with the stoopid sony software, but it is taking ages synching one book I from the sony store that I put on months ago!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
That probably should do it. I remember reading that library books need ADE to pass extra information about the expiry date that is separate from the book file itself; Calibre likely does not pass that information but the Sony software should.

I've had a problem using Calibre to modify the metadata of a library book on my device (I could no longer read the book). I expect the change somehow broke the connection between the book file and the external information.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Well that kinda worked. I now have three copies of the book in my reader and I think I can read one of them. I thought I had lost all my other books, but most of them seem to be there. After I read this one, I will check my reader against the Calibre Library.

It takes ages to put a book on using the Sony software. It must be telling the reader tales about expiry dates and all that DRM crap.
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Overdrive books require having Sony software installed on your hard drive, but you can use either Sony or Adobe to open and transfer books.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Well that kinda worked. I now have three copies of the book in my reader and I think I can read one of them. I thought I had lost all my other books, but most of them seem to be there. After I read this one, I will check my reader against the Calibre Library.

It takes ages to put a book on using the Sony software. It must be telling the reader tales about expiry dates and all that DRM crap.
The only times it takes my reader software forever to move a book, there's usually something wrong with the tile. Sometimes a reload is all it takes. I don't sync anything, sync is a huge time-sucker! I have sync turned off and I manually move the book by drag-and-drop.

Hope the book is worth it I have two library books on my reader now, but I doubt I'll even "crack" them open, since I'm so busy reading indie books instead!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:19 AM   #8
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Which book is it?

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #9
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Try this thread for advice - it is a known problem with some Sonys, where Overdrive EPUB and PDFs cannot co-exist on the same reader.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...erdrive&page=2
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #10
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I have to use Adobe Digital Editions to put Overdrive Library eBooks on my readers. Make sure if you have an earlier Sony Reader that you don't try and put Overdrive ePub AND Overdrive PDF files on at the same time. I only have luck with Overdrive ePub DRM files on my Sony 505 and 600. For installing and reading both types at the same time, I finally bought a nook. Life is simpler now.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #11
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Overdrive books require having Sony software installed on your hard drive, but you can use either Sony or Adobe to open and transfer books.
[mistrustful look] Hope Sony learned their lesson about rootkits, etc., from that debacle with some of their CDs. I worry about installing software from them because of that.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
This. The Sony software has to exist on your computer, but I haven't touched it since I installed it. From the ADE screen, just drag the book you want onto your Reader.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
The Sony 900 was the first model where that conflict was resolved - both PDF and Epub's should work together on his device.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
This is actually not true - Overdrive does not require the Sony software, it requires either that or ADE. I checked books out from the public library (using Overdrive) for over a year before I ever installed the Sony library. It may be true though, that the Sony software is required to use a Sony reader - not having a Sony reader, I'm not sure about that.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
44Dave
Enthusiast
44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook
I'm not allowed at my library any more.
44Dave is offline   Reply With Quote