Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
Radium
The Alchemist
Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Removing page footers and numbers [PDF 2 EPUB]

How can I do that?

<LINK to copyrighted material REMOVED> could be a perfectly convertible book... IF those annoying page numbers and footers could be removed.

Moderator Notice
MR policy prohibits lings to copyrighted material. Link removed

Last edited by theducks; 06-09-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: removed link
Radium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium View Post
How can I do that?

<LINK to copyrighted material REMOVED> could be a perfectly convertible book... IF those annoying page numbers and footers could be removed.
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...#pdfconversion
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
Radium
The Alchemist
Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.

That link covers the footer removal, but doesn't say anything about page numbers removal.
Any way to remove them other than manually?

About the Copyright:
I didn't "copy" the PDF, just linked the original source where Apple has released it for free to download.
And I don't think Apple would have any problems if I convert it to EPUB and re-release it to public (I will even send Apple a copy to place on their page along their PDF)

EPUB means ==> more readers read their guidelines ==> more educated Mac app designers ==> better Mac apps ==> more people buy Macs from Apple

Last edited by Radium; 06-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
That link covers the footer removal, but doesn't say anything about page numbers removal.
Any way to remove them other than manually?
Page numbers are removed exactly the same way as headers/footers. You need to work out a regex expression to identify the text to be removed.

You should start by using the wizard symbol against the regex option under Conversion->Search & Replace for the book in question. This will show you what the text will look like at the point in conversion where the regex is applied. Normally one can find one that will identify the sequence of characters that needs removal.

Unfortunately there is no simple tick box approach. The regex expression needed tends to be specific to a particular book.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Complying with all Copyright rules is a nightmare.
Avoidance is the simplest way to insure compliance.
Advert
Old 06-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Radium
The Alchemist

Thanks

I heard the name "regex" here and there, but didn't know what it's capable of doing.
I must learn it.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks

I heard the name "regex" here and there, but didn't know what it's capable of doing.
I must learn it.
REGEX = Regular Expresssions
I will make life easier, I know. I had no REGEX clue when I started with Sigil (the EPUB editor) a few years ago.

This tutorial finally got through
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118569
Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
Radium
The Alchemist

Yeah I figured.
The EPUB version is complete, without any footer or page numbers.
Thanks to you and REGEX.