Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #46
Notrite
Enthusiast
Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PB360+
Hi Rkomar,

May I make a suggestion? would it be possible to add manual orientation and remove(full screen)/add status bar in the menu list? This helps to save battery as oppose to having accelerometer on all the time, and maximize image viewing.

Much appreciated
Notrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #47
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrite View Post
Hi Rkomar,

May I make a suggestion? would it be possible to add manual orientation and remove(full screen)/add status bar in the menu list? This helps to save battery as oppose to having accelerometer on all the time, and maximize image viewing.

Much appreciated
Is the status bar something that you would turn on/off often, or something that you would only want to do once? I'm trying to figure out if it should be in the global configuration page, or in the pop-up menu as a per-book setting.

As far as the accelerometer goes, I don't think it's possible to turn it off with the current API. I can set the orientation so that it doesn't change, but you can already do that through the device configuration. There is a function SetGSensor() that disables the events, but you can still see the green LED come on whenever you change the orientation of the device, so I wouldn't say that it gives any battery savings. It looks to me like the G sensor is always on, no matter what.

Last edited by rkomar; 02-04-2012 at 01:25 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #48
fsvum
Enthusiast
fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
hi
i copied pbimageviewer.app in "system/bin" and "applications/" i tried the program on my pocketbook pro 912. but it does not open files (cbr) 0/0.
there is no "extensions.cfg" file in system/config/.
unarchived images do work though,

Last edited by fsvum; 02-05-2012 at 06:38 AM.
fsvum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #49
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvum View Post
hi
i copied pbimageviewer.app in "system/bin" and "applications/" i tried the program on my pocketbook pro 912. but it does not open files (cbr) 0/0.
there is no "extensions.cfg" file in system/config/.
unarchived images do work though,
The information in the system/config/extensions.cfg file is used by the device to match the book format to the application. Without it, the library app won't know what to do with the cbr file. So, create the file if it isn't there already, and copy those lines into it.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #50
fsvum
Enthusiast
fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The information in the system/config/extensions.cfg file is used by the device to match the book format to the application. Without it, the library app won't know what to do with the cbr file. So, create the file if it isn't there already, and copy those lines into it.
thanks,now it works fine in the library , but not in the application. in application it does not even show cbr files , as if the folder is empty.
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #51
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
thanks,now it works fine in the library , but not in the application. in application it does not even show cbr files , as if the folder is empty.
Yes, that's normal. That mode is just for opening directories with image files in them. It's how the program originally worked before I added the archive unpacking code, and I just left it that way. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure that you can use the Directory chooser to pick a file anyway, and there is no FileChooser dialog in the Inkview API. It seems the PocketBook way is to choose specific files via the Library app.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #52
fsvum
Enthusiast

can you add this feature : rotation ?
so you can rotate the image to a portrait or landscape within the app without going to main device settings?
i set may device to portrait , i always use it like that , and austomatic oriantiation is too annoying.
many thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #53
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
can you add this feature : rotation ?
so you can rotate the image to a portrait or landscape within the app without going to main device settings?
i set may device to portrait , i always use it like that , and austomatic oriantiation is too annoying.
many thanks
I'll give it a try tomorrow. Do you want all four fixed orientations, or would just the first two be enough?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #54
fsvum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'll give it a try tomorrow. Do you want all four fixed orientations, or would just the first two be enough?
portrait & landscape , you are too kind , thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #55
rkomar
Wizard

Okay, I added a menu item for screen rotation. It only shows up if the global orientation isn't set to automatic. For those of us who use automatic rotation, you don't see the menu item, and you just rotate the device as before.

Frankly, I love having the automatic orientation feature, because it makes it so easy to jump between portrait and landscape according to the page layout. Going to the menu each time would be way more annoying to me than the odd orientation flip that happens when I tilt the device by mistake. But each to his own...

I can see adding an option to enable automatic orientation within the pbimageviewer program, and reverting to fixed orientation when the program exits. Let me know if that is desired.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #56
vomov
Member Retired
vomov began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 912
Question

Just found this app, and it works very good, but I have two questions:

What does the 'fine update' option actually do? I see it making something of a second 'flash' that does indeed improve the picture, but how does it work?

Why is it getting slower (20sec for a page flip) near the end of a large (200 pages, 35mb) CBR? I assumed it unpacked the whole thing in a temporary folder (as hinted by the menu option in the configuration), but is it actually unpacking only one image file, and thus losing time unpacking/skipping the previous files?
vomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #57
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomov View Post
Just found this app, and it works very good, but I have two questions:

What does the 'fine update' option actually do? I see it making something of a second 'flash' that does indeed improve the picture, but how does it work?

Why is it getting slower (20sec for a page flip) near the end of a large (200 pages, 35mb) CBR? I assumed it unpacked the whole thing in a temporary folder (as hinted by the menu option in the configuration), but is it actually unpacking only one image file, and thus losing time unpacking/skipping the previous files?
I'm not sure what the 'fine update' is for, and I wasn't even sure that it improved the picture when I looked at it. It was in the original code, and I thought that it might be important for the older models of ereaders, so I left it in with an option to enable/disable it. The code does a FullUpdate() followed immediately by a FineUpdate() (causing the second flash). There's no documentation for the Inkview SDK, so I have no idea what FineUpdate actually does.

Your guess about the slowdown is correct, that's exactly how it's done. The program used to unpack the whole archive at the beginning, but that took a long time for big archives, sometimes filled up the disk space and caused errors that way, and had problems with some file names if unpacked to one of the FAT filesystems. So, I changed it to unpack one at a time to fix those problems (and to remove the need for the external unrar and unzip programs). Still, 20 seconds is too long just for the skipping. I've noticed longer times if a compressed image file is very large (~10MB), but even that was only a few seconds. Also, the program unpacks the next image right after displaying the current one, so if you're reading for a few seconds per page, pressing Next gives you the next image pretty quickly. I haven't noticed such long slowdowns for CBR files with ordinary images myself. Maybe something else is going on.

The new "one image at a time" behaviour is for CBR and CBZ files. TAR archives are still handled the old way and unpacked en masse at the beginning, so that menu option only applies to those, now.

I have the source code available at my website, and gave the URL in post #5 in this thread. I should probably copy it to the first post to make it easier to discover.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #58
rkomar
Wizard

It looks like my 'clever' way of extracting files from RAR archives was leaking memory, so I went back to the straightforward way and the leaks went away. Maybe this accounted for the slowdown @vomov noticed. I also added support for single-image TIFF files (probably not useful for reading comics, but can come in handy for viewing standard image files). I updated the uploads in the first post.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #59
vomov
Member Retired
vomov began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 912
Thumbs up

Just tested it with a 94mb 200-page cbr, and the update seems to work brilliantly! No delay whatsoever when comparing with browsing an unpacked CBR.

I'll test it with a larger archive tonight (210mb, 370 pages, resolution around 1600x2200), but I don't expect any problems.

Edit: also a +1 vote for the hiding of the status bar for all books

Last edited by vomov; 02-16-2012 at 06:16 AM.
vomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #60
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomov View Post
Just tested it with a 94mb 200-page cbr, and the update seems to work brilliantly! No delay whatsoever when comparing with browsing an unpacked CBR.

I'll test it with a larger archive tonight (210mb, 370 pages, resolution around 1600x2200), but I don't expect any problems.

Edit: also a +1 vote for the hiding of the status bar for all books
Thanks for the feedback on the update. I wasn't experiencing those slowdowns myself, so I wasn't sure if the memory leak was the real problem or not. Maybe the effect is worse on the newer multi-tasking systems (I'm still using the old 2.04 firmware).

As far as the status bar goes, I was waiting for an answer to my question about where the control for enabling/disabling the status bar should be (main menu or configuration menu) before working on it. I'm not sure whether someone would want to semi-permanently disable it, or just temporarily from time to time. It's not a feature I would use myself, so it's hard for me to guess how it would be used by those who want it. So, anyone who wants the feature should tell me how they would like to use it.